Nvidia Titan Z Review

I still can't read Chinese..

Cheese

/sigh.  What a disappointment.

I just wish I could play modern titles at 1600p at 60fps without having to spend over £2000 on graphics cards without turning everything down.

I tried out Daylight to see how the new Unreal 4 engine is.  It looks "okay", but runs like a dead dog.

I'm finding we're at an awkward stage of being sold on the prospect of 4K years ahead of physically having the horsepower for it.  Even 1440p is a stretch for the grandest of nvidia or amd's offerings, which is pretty pathetic seeing as devs and hardware manufacturers have stressed for years about the benefits of hitting that 60fps target.  Now they're harping on about 4K and lets just forget about the fact that nothing runs smoothly at that scale, or even at smaller resolutions.

So sure sell us a RoG Swift but at least make is possible to run the game at 1440p at 120Hz on Ultra  You know, the whole reason for buying RoG gear in the first place.  It's stupid that even with the very best gear money can buy you can't hit 60fps in some of these resolutions.  It's not the fault of the devs or the hardware but on the marketing and PR.

I'm fear Maxwell won't provide the much needed upgrade for this now.

Geforce card, thus it's a gaming card.

That's like saying a computer with GTX 780 ti's in SLI isn't a gaming computer.

It really isn't.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Here comes the "that ain't a gaming card" posts...

Brace_yourself.jpg

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Nvidia really dropped the ball on this one. The pricing is just completely insane. They must have been high or extremely arrogant to form such a price. EVEN if they halved the price to match AMD's 1.500$, it would still be a bad buy. Titan Z boosts to 876mhz, however you can get a factory OC'ed 295x2 that runs at 1.300 mhz boost (ok it is priced a little over 1.500$, but still). The built in water cooler keeps the card much cooler and probably quiter, and leaves room for OC even for the standard version (might even push to 1.300 mhz yourself).

The Titan Z is overpriced and underperforming to a card half the price. No wonder they postponed the release. Nvidias hubris finally caught up to them.

That being said, I have to question some of the scores:

At the end of the day the Titan Z simply priced itself out of the market. Even at half the price, it probably would not be the better choice. As it stands now, I think Titan Z is a ripoff.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Nvidia really dropped the ball on this one. The pricing is just completely insane. They must have been high or extremely arrogant to form such a price. EVEN if they halved the price to match AMD's 1.500$, it would still be a bad buy. Titan Z boosts to 876mhz, however you can get a factory OC'ed 295x2 that runs at 1.300 mhz boost (ok it is priced a little over 1.500$, but still). The built in water cooler keeps the card much cooler and probably quiter, and leaves room for OC even for the standard version (might even push to 1.300 mhz yourself).

The Titan Z is overpriced and underperforming to a card half the price. No wonder they postponed the release. Nvidias hubris finally caught up to them.

That being said, I have to question some of the scores:

At the end of the day the Titan Z simply priced itself out of the market. Even at half the price, it probably would not be the better choice. As it stands now, I think Titan Z is a ripoff.

Overpriced and underperforming is an opinion, it's a product for a certain price.

Same for expensive cars, phones and whatever you can think of.

You think a Rolex is overpriced? Probably.

People buy these, as a watch.

People buy expensive cars which drive slower than Mitsubishi Evos for example, if someone wants this card he can buy it for the price, if he wants to save money he can get a Titan Black/780Ti SLI configuration.

Overpriced and underperforming is an opinion, it's a product for a certain price.

People buy expensive cars which drive slower than Mitsubishi Evos for example, if someone wants this card he can buy it for the price, if he wants to save money he can get a Titan Black/780Ti SLI configuration.

Lol no. You still can enjoy your expensive Rolex and exotic car in 10-20 years or even more but Titan-Z will only last 5 years max.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I don't think it's just an opinion, when it cannot beat a card at half the price. You always compare to similar products.

Rolexes and luxury cars have design, luxury items, like highend leather and soundsystems. You buy other things than just performance in those cars. You do not in a graphics cards (with the exception of design or OC capabilities). Branding is important, and yes there will be a bragging right with having a Titan Z, so I get your point there. But honestly paying double for no performance increase, no  watercooling, nothing really, just means your bragging rights turns you into a teasing target.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That's what Quadro is for.

People need to stop trying to justify the 3k price because CUDA can be used for other intended purposes other than gaming.

Even Nvidia advertises as a gaming card.

bx0VAIE.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/announcing-the-geforce-gtx-titan-z

This card is overpriced and anyone in their damn right mind would be an idiot to purchase this brick and justify its 3k price for other "intended purposes".

The titan Z has more cuda cores than any other card on the market.  It will STEAMROLL anything a quadro can do because of that fact.  Not to mention the top of the line quadro is more than $3,000.

Quadro's aren't for speed, nor are xeons or ECC ram  They're rated for 24/7 100% operation without errors.

Any normal consumer that buys this is dumb, I agree.   But the prosumers, or professional content creators that need these, will probably buy multiples and stick them in a small form factor, so they can have the most GPU horsepower possible in a limited space. 

I don't understand why people are so ignorant to the fact of marketing, why would they not market it at gamers? The main following nvidia has is gamers, if they only market it towards the people that will actually utilize this card, they wouldn't sell nearly as many.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The titan Z has more cuda cores than any other card on the market.  It will STEAMROLL anything a quadro can do because of that fact.  Not to mention the top of the line quadro is more than $3,000.

Quadro's aren't for speed, nor are xeons or ECC ram  They're rated for 24/7 100% operation without errors.

Any normal consumer that buys this is dumb, I agree.   But the prosumers, or professional content creators that need these, will probably buy multiples and stick them in a small form factor, so they can have the most GPU horsepower possible in a limited space. 

I don't understand why people are so ignorant to the fact of marketing, why would they not market it at gamers? The main following nvidia has is gamers, if they only market it towards the people that will actually utilize this card, they wouldn't sell nearly as many.

How I imagine our workstations and blades:

giphy.gif

Only if they need CUDA cores. If they can use opengl, the 295x2 is still more horsepower at half the cost.

People are not ignorant to marketing. The only reason people point out the gaming marketing, is because some NVIDIA fanboys, claims this is a professional card and not a gaming card, as a defense of the insane pricing.

Also if you have 3.000$ to spend(waste) on a graphics card, you would know the market options, marketing or not.

Only if they need CUDA cores. If they can use opengl, the 295x2 is still more horsepower at half the cost.

People are not ignorant to marketing. The only reason people point out the gaming marketing, is because some NVIDIA fanboys, claims this is a professional card and not a gaming card, as a defense of the insane pricing.

Also if you have 3.000$ to spend(waste) on a graphics card, you would know the market options, marketing or not.

It's both, they would be freaking retarded to not market it towards 90% of their audience...

Even if it was $7,000 people would still buy it, people don't understand that apparently lol

The people that "need" this card would buy it regardless of price :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't understand why people defend the price tag by saying its made for workstations and comparing Quadro cards' pricing to justify it. It's not justified, all this means is anything that can be used as a workstation card will have its price tag multiplied purely because they can and because they know they can force people to buy it at that price. There is no way that it takes at minimum 30% more funding for the 'research and development' where they decided "Hmm, lets take the GTX 780 TI but this time not gimp the hell out of it's Double Precision and then market it as a commodity" Bottom line is that it is over priced for EVERYONE not just gamers. Instead of bickering amongst ourselves we should be calling Nvidia out on this garbage, NOBODY should be paying more for what are the same exact GPUs minus the frontal lobotomy.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I still can't read Chinese..

That's why I spent 1 hour try to translate the content.

See this post:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/151135-hgst-ultrastar-he6-6tb-hdd-review-from-pcmarket-hong-kong/

Main System:

Intel Core i7 4930k

28GB DDR3-1333

ASUS X79-Deluxe

ASUS STRIX GTX1080

OCZ Toshiba RD400 256GB

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Toshiba 2TB

Antec EDGE750

Corsair H55

Corsair Graphite 230T

It's both, they would be freaking retarded to not market it towards 90% of their audience...

Even if it was $7,000 people would still buy it, people don't understand that apparently lol

The people that "need" this card would buy it regardless of price :/

So true lol in my opinion the only thing I find odd for the Titan Z is the $1,000 over 2 Titan Blacks, just because of the "engineering" process, besides it's 3 slot space...

I'm in the middle, I understand there's a dev market for it, and at the same time I don't give a crap because I won't buy it anyways lol

Is one of those cards to look at and wave bye bye it, soon all the hype will be at the 800 series(whenever that is).

Never, Ever, Ever buying it.  Its a real shame they didn't have a water cooler on it, they could have made it so much faster.  But no 'smart' gamer is going to buy that card until the price comes down.  

Never, Ever, Ever buying it.  Its a real shame they didn't have a water cooler on it, they could have made it so much faster.  But no 'smart' gamer is going to buy that card until the price comes down.  

No smart gamer will buy a Titan per-se lol

No smart gamer will buy a Titan per-se lol

No smart gamer should buy a dual GPU card at this point, period.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I'd buy it if it was £400.

Nvidia doesn't care about "the market" aka consumers for this card.  They never expected to sell millions of Titan Zs.  Nvidia, like Samsung has a lot of cash and time on their hands so they can afford to release a whole whack of products (e.g. Samsung's 12 inch Note tablet for $800) just to fill niche gaps.  So their hubris didn't catch up to them, they know exactly what they are doing.

Not even a 790?

Well the 790 is going to be a powerful gaming card.  Those spouting Nvidia's doom and gloom because the Titan Z is a "failure" and that "AMD is the best and is crushing Nvidia" will be shown up.  Having said that, I don't see how a dual gpu card is a good value for the vast majority of gamers.  Flagship single gpu cards are powerful enough.

Well the 790 is going to be a powerful gaming card.  Those spouting Nvidia's doom and gloom because the Titan Z is a "failure" and that "AMD is the best and is crushing Nvidia" will be shown up.  Having said that, I don't see how a dual gpu card is a good value for the vast majority of gamers.  Flagship single gpu cards are powerful enough.

Most of us enthusiasts will be tempted thou... depending of the performance of course.

Well, there goes the Nvidia boner. :mellow:

:ph34r: ninja loves shadowplay

Details separate people.

Hmm so how much is a Quadro setup with equal cores going to cost? Also how many of those applications that need the compute power support OpenCL? As a gaming card this is stupid and I'd like to know how it really even compares as a workstation card since doesn't it also use Geforce drivers? Not Quadro drivers which are rated totally differently.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum