Whaler's 4P Folders Build Log (32 Cores and 24 Cores)

very nice

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

are you planning on adding GPUs on your board when F@H will support GPUs on linux ?

I may - depends on what is involved and if a GPU unit would still qualify for bigadv projects. Have to see when it actually comes out. Would also probably need to upgrade CPU...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well Done fellow IT Pro! I am having a hard time getting 100k PPD  on 3 machines.. ;) haha

very nice

Thanks guys!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

This thread needs more pics.  

-Rich

Spotswood Computer Cases

More will be coming when I get the second one stacked on :)

So what is the biggest difference comparing your 4p setup and someone who has 3 7970's folding at around 340k PPD? If we don't think about driver changes and expect them to be all peachy?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

So what is the biggest difference comparing your 4p setup and someone who has 3 7970's folding at around 340k PPD? If we don't think about driver changes and expect them to be all peachy?

from what i understand on this thread is that

folding using multiple GPUs doesnt always give u the same result

sometimes one card in a setup will give u a lot lower ppd than the other cards

we will see how good GPUs are in a linux environment when support is there

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

That is one reason - that GPU folding is somewhat erratic at times.

The other issues are power utilization and heat - Your 7970's and system overall will be drawing a huge amount of power and expelling a massive quantity of heat. That is my biggest issue with my GPU systems, is the heat they generate. On the other hand, the 4P server does need decent power, but it is more constant and with a high eff psu, my power costs will be less. With good quality coolers and fans, my 4P unit is very quiet and does not generate anywhere near the amount of heat. 

Makes sense, I thought it would be something like that.

Btw, what core temps do you get with your 4p monsta?

@natkoui

Well, damn.This is impressive! I've been wanting to make a rack of 4P rigs (3 or 4 of them), but the cost would be... large. Loving this, so far! However, that one clear, LED fan is driving me crazy, though. I don't care if looks aren't important, for the love of all that is holy, please replace that fan with another black, CoolerMaster fan.

Well, damn.This is impressive! I've been wanting to make a rack of 4P rigs (3 or 4 of them), but the cost would be... large. Loving this, so far! However, that one clear, LED fan is driving me crazy, though. I don't care if looks aren't important, for the love of all that is holy, please replace that fan with another black, CoolerMaster fan.

Too funny. My son says the same thing. That's how I can look into the dark crawl space and know everything is working. :D

Makes sense, I thought it would be something like that.

Btw, what core temps do you get with your 4p monsta?

In the 50's...

• 1 month later...

Second 4P unit on the way - will updated with tech specs, pics and all that when it arrives. Should be here in the next few days...

Second 4P unit on the way - will updated with tech specs, pics and all that when it arrives. Should be here in the next few days...

Another one, are you aiming for 1 million PPD?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Think I'll have to invest in a 4p system myself, it's just too tempting.

I guess I can buy part by part and assemble it when I have all the pieces. Don't know how often these things come up in eu since buying everything new would be insane expensive.

Need to do some research first

@natkoui

Well my previous "second" 4P unit didn't end up working out - technical issues. So this is a new one. So, I will still only be running two 4P units. The difference is this is an older AMD 8000 series based one which is a lot cheaper then the newer 6000 series G34 unit i previously setup.

For people interested in 4P units - couple options - look for a 8000 series setup to get you introduced. You can typically get ones of this model in the $500-$600 range and is a much cheaper starting point. Depending on the chips, these units can pull between 100K and 200K PPD based on the WU. Newer 6000 G34 setups are quite a bit more. Also remember, you need a minimum of 16 cores to qualify for thebigadv quick return bonuses.

Another option - get a 4P board but only get one or two CPU now. Most 4P can fold with one, two or four CPU so you can start small and grow big, just remember the 16 core point I mentioned. You won't start seeing big number till then. But if you start off with two Octo CPU chips, you will be there. :)

Cherry picking sales can also help save money. Buying various components as they come up and maybe taking a few months to get the system all together can save you some money.

Check my 4P links - the Distributed Computing forum over at hardforum is an awesome site for information and even on occasion buying gear. Some of their folders will sell their gear to non-hard folders, as long as you can prove you have an established and active folding account. I know their is one EU based folder looking to sell some gear - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1762376.

Another one, are you aiming for 1 million PPD?

After this one is on, I should be able to pull 500K PPD easy and 600K if all the gods of WU's line up properly. :D

After this one is on, I should be able to pull 500K PPD easy and 600K if all the gods of WU's line up properly. :D

Well so much for trying to keep up with you lol

The Core i3 and GT 630 working together is pulling more than I expected, most of the time I'm at 10-13,000 PPD though because of how warm the weather is at the moment I'm only CPU folding which is getting me around 5,000 PPD at the moment, I'm not happy with the GPU running at 70+ degrees.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Well so much for trying to keep up with you lol

The Core i3 and GT 630 working together is pulling more than I expected, most of the time I'm at 10-13,000 PPD though because of how warm the weather is at the moment I'm only CPU folding which is getting me around 5,000 PPD at the moment, I'm not happy with the GPU running at 70+ degrees.

See? It's the friendly competition of trying to outdo each other that's so much fun... I am just trying to stay ahead of the pack :D

See? It's the friendly competition of trying to outdo each other that's so much fun... I am just trying to stay ahead of the pack :D

You make trying look extremely easy :P

You make trying look extremely easy :P

LOL

Damn, I could only wish for 2 4P Folding systems ... Maybe when money is g̶o̶o̶d̶... GREAT lol.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Helps that I have more parts then I know what to do with. Parts go out to help cover costs of parts coming in. :)

I'm in the middle of car shopping and I'm actually thinking of getting a cheaper car/less optional equipment just so I can get a 4p system sooner.

Addicted? Hmm...

@natkoui