4k vs. Triple-Monitor vs. Ultrawide 21:9

So i'm probably starting a turf war here, but here it goes anyway..

I building a new gaming rig and I want an awesome display setup, but i'm not sure which route to go down:

A single 4k monitor

A single Ultrawide 21:9 monitor

Three 1080 (or 1200p) monitors in a surround setup

(NOTE: this will be used purely for gaming)

Either a single 21:9 or 3 1080p's for me we are in no way ready for all games in 4K even with SLI setups.

triple surround any day, better gaming experience

~James 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

i would go 4k

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

blow your money on g-sync :)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

my vote goes for the single 21:9 monitor setup

everyone who used it seems so enthusiastic, and i believe myself that such a wide working area uninterrupted by any bezel is just great

but goddamn it's expensive

(waiting for curved 21:9 monitors to come?)

I voted 21:9 simply because from my own considerations as to what I'll do (I was thinking 1440p vs 21:9) that seems to be the best option. My motivation is twofold. Firstly, I find the bezels between screens really disrupts the sense of immersion in games, and is unappealing to me, but I like the idea of a wider field of view, which I think will do more for immersion and experience than sharper graphics, which I'd have to spend more on to run anyway. Secondly, for working - as a student I'm constantly writing essays and reading journal articles and especially keeping track of the paragraph I'm on when reading translations of the classical authors (which is how they are referenced). Having the ability to split one wide screen down the middle and keeping things on one neat display is just so appealing to me.

A more minor consideration for me is my eyesight, which is not overly great, and I don't like to wear my glasses in front of the computer. That isn't such a problem with 1080p vs 1440p or even 4k. I very seldom find myself in need of more vertical height and so I think it's time monitors widen again.

triple 1080p or 1200p

but I'd still suggest on triple 1440p ips 60hz should be awesome.

Live your life like a dream.

single 21:9 or 4K :P

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

I voted 21:9 simply because from my own considerations as to what I'll do (I was thinking 1440p vs 21:9) that seems to be the best option. My motivation is twofold. Firstly, I find the bezels between screens really disrupts the sense of immersion in games, and is unappealing to me, but I like the idea of a wider field of view, which I think will do more for immersion and experience than sharper graphics, which I'd have to spend more on to run anyway. Secondly, for working - as a student I'm constantly writing essays and reading journal articles and especially keeping track of the paragraph I'm on when reading translations of the classical authors (which is how they are referenced). Having the ability to split one wide screen down the middle and keeping things on one neat display is just so appealing to me.

Out of interest have you ever used triple screen? The gap in between doesn't matter, your brain can remove the gap without any issues. The fact you can rotate any monitor to portrait at any time to read articles and then move it back for video is amazing for "study".

The only time the bezels are annoying is when you enable eyefinity, something which completely ruins a triple monitor set-up unless you are running a game.

21:9 is very limiting.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

how about you yolo it and go all out x3 21:9 monitors for all the field of view

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Considering what I plan to do, 21:9.

4K is still prohibitively expensive (Minimum wages in my side of the world have increased, but are still behind the US') and there might even be a 21:9 with the 4K vertical standard by the time 4K becomes an accesible option.

Though, I'd probably for any 21:9 monitor now over 4K. Though I'd get both if I had the logistics, as it would help be a good test bench for 4K rendering.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Why do people like 21:9 at all? And all this enthusiasm for this aspect ratio only started after Linus said that he liked it.... not saying anything... but yeah... Anyways I would go triple 1200p but if I had to get a single monitor I would go with 4k because it has the same horizontal #s of pixels as a 21:9 monitors with a far higher vertical # of pixels.

"No signature"

Why do people like 21:9 at all? And all this enthusiasm for this aspect ratio only started after Linus said that he liked it.... not saying anything... but yeah... Anyways I would go triple 1200p but if I had to get a single monitor I would go with 4k because it has the same horizontal #s of pixels as a 21:9 monitors with a far higher vertical # of pixels.

21:9 just allows you to do more things, allows you to have an experience similar to multi-monitor without bezel (And without needing to worry about space/arrangements as much). The biggest drawback I'd see to 21:9 is the fact that only PCs can leverage it, as most devices will default to 16:9 (If I was using the monitor as a TV replacement, I'd prioritize 4K for this reason.)

And honestly? I don't think this enthusiasm just began with Linus. There were quite a number of these monitors in circulation for a while and it's just that LG was one of the first to make a 21:9 that was higher resolution than the ones using a 2560x1080 resolution. And it helps for productivity better than 4K, due to better text scaling.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

21:9 just allows you to do more things, allows you to have an experience similar to multi-monitor without bezel (And without needing to worry about space/arrangements as much). The biggest drawback I'd see to 21:9 is the fact that only PCs can leverage it, as most devices will default to 16:9 (If I was using the monitor as a TV replacement, I'd prioritize 4K for this reason.)

And honestly? I don't think this enthusiasm just began with Linus. There were quite a number of these monitors in circulation for a while and it's just that LG was one of the first to make a 21:9 that was higher resolution than the ones using a 2560x1080 resolution. And it helps for productivity better than 4K, due to better text scaling.

Fair enough I suppose. Though in my opinion 21:9 is just too wide and not high enough. But I guess people that liked two 5:4 monitors would probably enjoy these.

"No signature"

I think adopting UHD this early is a waste of money. First of all, you need a system to pump the resolution, but then you are bound to 30 or 60Hz, which is not ideal for gaming. And the price tag is just insane.

I have a dell u3011 - very nice monitor, but since I am doing more gaming, I will be waiting for the new Asus ROG Swift monitor to come out, 10% less screen resolution, traded off for GSync and 120+Hz refresh rate.

edit - and as for triple monitors, I had 3x 24" Asus 3d screens -they were good enough, but the amount of HEAT they dumped into the room was unbearable in the hot Australian summer.

And the ultra wide - they look cool, I like them, but not sure how they would be practically speaking.

• 2 years later...
On May 11, 2014 at 5:51 AM, Coombzy said:

Either a single 21:9 or 3 1080p's for me we are in no way ready for all games in 4K even with SLI setups.

2 years later ... GTX 1080 can play games at 4k 60hz

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

• 1 year later...

Big monitor:

Less cable mess.

With a big monitor you have the feeling of continuum and uniformity. Immersion.

And if you want, with a big monitor you can simulate having several small ones dividing the screen using software, or just a big one.

Less cable mess.

Multiple monitors:

The opposite is not possible. With several monitors you see the borders and missalignment.

Conclusion:
The only question is: if it's too big is it better flat or curved?
You could even rotate 90º a large monitor.  But rotating 3 small ones and replacing them vertically is going to be a nightmare.

The only reason to have several is because it can be cheaper, or if you want to have some content clearly separated.

i toyed between 4k and triple 1080p for sooooooooo long. Never regretted my decision though, got a PB287Q and adore it, already have triple 1080p at work and i know how awful it is for gaming :D

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

holy shit i just realised we are necroposting, why the fuck is this on the front page ?

DID YOU DO THIS TO ME @skanskan !!!!!!!!!

lol

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Triple surround. Then ultra wide. 4K would be dead last, after regular 1440p. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Didn't even notice as it was top of the posts. Gottta save the cats. 

IMG_1952.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz