Headphones pros and cons

duncan5200
Go to solution Solved by schwat,

Headphones are extremely subjective about what one person will like and one person won't. I personally like my ATH-M50s despite all the hate they get around these forums they are a solid pair of cans. If you've tried your friends pair of them and liked them who cares if someone else doesn't like em? 

I've had my pair of ATH-M50s for damn near 5 years at this point & they've stood up to constant use and abuse. They fold up pretty compact for carrying which is nice because I bring em to work every day & aside from the pleather earpads getting worn out (which is gonna happen, its why they make replacements) they are still as good as the day I bought em.

And even if you do somehow manage to break them Audio-Technica has pretty damn good tech support I've found out. I had a friend blow out a driver on his pair after 4 years & I was able to get a replacement driver from Audio-Technica for $25 shipped & do the repair for him. 

Okay so I have balckshark and turtle beach px22 headsets, both under bestbuy warranty, both headsets are starting to act wierd, so I am planning on returning them. I wanna try something new and maybe get head phones and a optional mic, my friend owns the ath-m50 and i really liked that pair of headphones, and am closely considering the m50x (i have way to many headphones cable go, so i want a removable cable, since bestbuy dont sell them, so i cant get a warranty from amazon), now after that essay the question is the hastle worth it, of having a mic seperate from head phones, and what mics could be reccomended in say the 10 USD range, the mic is something i would upgrade in the future, just currently probably would only have 10 bucks to spend on one. ANy other good headphone suggestions with the absolute price limit being 170usd, preferably less.

P.S. Im gonna have the sniper 5 on board chip power the heahphones, dont know if that matters or not.

Mouse: Razer Death Adder 2013 Keybaord: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013

Mod mic.

I own the ATH-M50's myself and I loves them.

inb4 "there are better choices for gaming"

Am here to attempt to steer you away from the shit value that is the M50 and M50x. Getting something like the SRH440 with 840 pads would be a similar option for much less, and something like the  HD558's for at home only use. 

m50 and m50x are pretty decent I say.

I don't like the cups though since I got a big head and ear so yeah.

I loved the ad900x though but it's open back.

custom one pros ain't so bad.

Live your life like a dream.

Am here to attempt to steer you away from the shit value that is the M50 and M50x. Getting something like the SRH440 with 840 pads would be a similar option for much less, and something like the  HD558's for at home only use. 

the 558's hae also caught my eye, but like i mentioned, I have had many a headset cable go on me, and unless best buy sells it and i can get a warranty for that there, I want ones where the cable is replacable.

Shure 440 with 840 pads and Beyerdynamic custom one pros are good options. 

Custom one pros are minimum 200usd, budget is 170, that being a stretch, as mentioned in post, even though the custom one pros, are kinda my dream head phones.

Sorry, to quote a post twice, but what would say about these

V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Gunmetal Black)

Sorry, to quote a post twice, but what would say about these

V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Gunmetal Black)

Its all good. LP is k, would spend money on it though. (Personal preference)

The HD558 does have a replaceable cable, and will not be found at best buy, but would be able be found at Guitar Center if you are forced to buy local. 

Its all good. LP is k, would spend money on it though. (Personal preference)

The HD558 does have a replaceable cable, and will not be found at best buy, but would be able be found at Guitar Center if you are forced to buy local. 

My plan is to get best buy store credit, and buy a amazon gift card, hd558s i cant find anything on the cable, and the LP would or wouldnt?

Custom one pros are minimum 200usd, budget is 170, that being a stretch, as mentioned in post, even though the custom one pros, are kinda my dream head phones.

They are at massdrop for $160 plus shipping.

My plan is to get best buy store credit, and buy a amazon gift card, hd558s i cant find anything on the cable, and the LP would or wouldnt?

IMG-0662s.jpg

I wouldn't spend money on the LP, just not the sound that I am looking for. 

500x1000px-LL-18da151b_IMG_20121127_2159

I wouldn't spend money on the LP, just not the sound that I am looking for. 

okay they seem like the best thing for me right now, cheeper, only 123usd on amazon under my bidget which means i could get somthing like a good mod mic or maybe even a blue snowball, but my last question is how much noise do they given from the outside, and how far away would someone be able ot stand and still hear them, because i kinda like privacy.

M50 are a solid choice. They've been one of the best bang-for-buck headphones for years now.

Only thing to be aware of is that the pads degrade quickly. To keep the sound quality optimal expect to change them once or twice a year.

M50 are a solid choice. They've been one of the best bang-for-buck headphones for years now.

Only thing to be aware of is that the pads degrade quickly. To keep the sound quality optimal expect to change them once or twice a year.

im leaning way more towards 558s

That hasn't been true for a while. They were the best bang for buck when they were at like $80 but they've risen because of their popularity and now they are not the "best" but are decent if you can find them for $100. 

okay they seem like the best thing for me right now, cheeper, only 123usd on amazon under my bidget which means i could get somthing like a good mod mic or maybe even a blue snowball, but my last question is how much noise do they given from the outside, and how far away would someone be able ot stand and still hear them, because i kinda like privacy.

Unless you listen at well above damaging levels, or your family is attached at the head, you won't disturb anyone, though you will still be able to hear them for the most part. 

im leaning way more towards 558s

They are decent headphones, you'll be happy with them. Of course being open they have limited useage.

That hasn't been true for a while. They were the best bang for buck when they were at like $80 but they've risen because of their popularity and now they are not the "best" but are decent if you can find them for $100. 

The X are still under £150, the old M50s are easily found below £100 these days. Still a relative bargain in the world of headphones,

What headphones in the same price range and utility (closed back, efficient, sound quality) really compete with them?

In my opinion to get a significant improvement you need to jump up to the £200-300 bracket.

They are decent headphones, you'll be happy with them. Of course being open they have limited useage.

The X are still under £150, the old M50s are easily found below £100 these days. Still a relative bargain in the world of headphones,

What headphones in the same price range and utility (closed back, efficient, sound quality) really compete with them?

In my opinion to get a significant improvement you need to jump up to the £200-300 bracket.

Except that you can get better for 100 Euro's, which mean that they are a still a bad value even over in Euroland. 

Except that you can get better for 100 Euro's, which mean that they are a still a bad value even over in Euroland. 

Which are better? 

Unless you listen at well above damaging levels, or your family is attached at the head, you won't disturb anyone, though you will still be able to hear them for the most part. 

well, as soon as i get the money, the 558s are my choice right now, and i listen to music pretty quietly, its more of a i dont want extra questions if someone  cusses in voip about what am i doing.

Which are better? 

SRH440 for most users, 7506 for the professional user. 380 for those that want a more balanced sound, the Crossfade LP for the bass head, and DT770/880/990 are just better, but few users might not be able to power them to a volume they like. 

well, as soon as i get the money, the 558s are my choice right now, and i listen to music pretty quietly, its more of a i dont want extra questions if someone  cusses in voip about what am i doing.

No body will here you then. 

No body will here you then. 

lp are my second choice, and if i dont like the 558s, i will simply send them back to amazon, and get the lp, im kinda a bass head kinda, but the m50s bass was enough for me, so i think the 558s should be good to.

lp are my second choice, and if i dont like the 558s, i will simply send them back to amazon, and get the lp, im kinda a bass head kinda, but the m50s bass was enough for me, so i think the 558s should be good to.

Just a warning, open headphones are "bass light" the bass is still there just not super punchy like you will be use too from M50's and the like.