[Completed] Serious Black, A Journey (All Black, Custom Water Cooling)

Earache

This is a shot of my cable management, before and after upgrades. Tidy cable management does wonders, but isn't always the easiest to accomplish. 

aqDqj46.jpg

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

All Dem Cables...

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Subbed 

Gryphon :wub:

I <3 my gryphon :)

must be all white by now :)

nope?  Its still black?  The thermal armor is still black, haven't painted it yet :)

now that's one hell of an upgrade this build deserves. not going to lie at the start i thought the build was un balanced with the i7 and 270x but now its great, only issue is that sock cooler :c  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

nope?  Its still black?  The thermal armor is still black, haven't painted it yet :)

dont get the reference? okay then never u mind.

dont get the reference? okay then never u mind.

yeah, I'm sorry.   :(

now that's one hell of an upgrade this build deserves. not going to lie at the start i thought the build was un balanced with the i7 and 270x but now its great, only issue is that sock cooler :c  

Honestly this build got me excited about gaming again so I felt the 290x was worth it. Especially since they were going for super cheap on eBay.

I've also got some custom water cooling plans coming up. I just have to coax myself into spending the extra money.

Don't the reference r9 290xs, get hot and loud as all hell? Or do you plan to do something with it later?

Don't the reference r9 290xs, get hot and loud as all hell? Or do you plan to do something with it later?

I have dual 7970s in my 350D on air, they run pretty hot but rarely over 70C.

A single card I had no issues. The Dual cards I had to flip my PSU upside down to exhaust the hot air from the bottom card and put some nicer fans in the front to give them more air.

A single 290x shouldn't put out anywhere as much heat so you should be fine.

I haven't seen them over 70C and that was while running a terribly optimized game. Idle is around 35C and while gaming it sits around 55C.

I keep my fans at max RPM most of the time so sound isn't an issue for me.

That said, I did purchase it with the intentions of water cooling it, but with good case fans it's not necessary. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got some new parts in. I love EK and all of these parts are beautiful, but I don't know how I feel about the 'striped' badge.. That was definitely not in the product images on FrozenCPU.

fUmuydL.jpg

2Sjk8Ag.jpg

uKaJhwY.jpg

gbJRt9N.jpg

aH6C2wG.jpg

8C6W6oE.jpg

xRJz4mu.jpg

EYDfsNs.jpg

XZRyKvV.jpg

L1SJ0fG.jpg

Does anybody know what's up with the gaudy striped badges?

Awesome, Cant wait!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

The badges look like they just have a plastic cover on them. Otherwise this is a sweet build!

It's just a protective covering. Peels off really easy. 

Great, thanks! The stripes make the badge look terrible. I'm glad that it's just a protective film.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well to say the least, watercooling this beast has required quite a bit of resourcefulness and ingenuity. I ended up needing more angled fittings that hopefully will arrive in the next couple of days. I didn't expect to mod the case quite as much as is needed, but I'm incredibly excited to have it all put together. Until then..

RcqluBk.jpg

Am I the only person to not test my components and just build away? I love the gryphon, it's saber tooth AMD brother is my wallpaper

haha who has the time for testing?

As I said in my last update, water cooling this case with the hardware that I selected has been nothing but complicated. However I'm happy to say that it's coming to fruition.

Here's a cell phone shot of the leak test. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will have some glamour shots up, as well as the final conclusion. 

35dbxqw.jpg