Ultimate Programming Resources Thread

Also It seems the thread now shows all html tags for me, is this the case for others too? It has happened a few times and deleting it is a nightmare

Yeah this has happened with a few posts for me as well. It's got to do with the BB tags

parser not working properly yet. I've had similar problems pop up when I designed the

input sanitizer for my last website project. It would sanitize the input twice in some

cases, leading to a sanitization of HTML tags, so they would be spelled out in clear

text instead of being actual code.

Example:

<html>
would be sanitized into
<html>
instead of being stored as-is in the database. When you retrieve the text again it's

naturally going to print out <html>.

The forum admins are working on it though, so it should be fixed at some point.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yeah this has happened with a few posts for me as well. It's got to do with the BB tags

parser not working properly yet. I've had similar problems pop up when I designed the

input sanitizer for my last website project. It would sanitize the input twice in some

cases, leading to a sanitization of HTML tags, so they would be spelled out in clear

text instead of being actual code.

Example:

<html>
would be sanitized into
<html>
instead of being stored as-is in the database. When you retrieve the text again it's

naturally going to print out <html>.

The forum admins are working on it though, so it should be fixed at some point.

Wow that is interesting to know. Thanks for the heads up. I hope it does get sorted out soon.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

EDIT: Added inventwithpython and a few more books.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Stickied :)

these two links don't go to the right place  :P

Thanks, great shout. The thread got all HTML'd and a few links got messed up. I have amended them and a few others.

Stickied :)

Excellent! Thank you.

Excellent! Thank you.

No, thank you for taking the time to write all of this out. :)

So, I've been scouring the web for some more Perl (I'm currently trying to write

my own templating engine in functional programming style... a rather masochistic

idea :lol: ), and I've come across Higher Order Perl by Mark Jason Dominus. It's

a book that was published a few years back, and you can download it for free from

his website here.

According to various posts in Perl forums, it's rather good (I don't understand

it well enough yet to make any statement about that, but what little I've seen

of it so far has indeed been very good as far as I can tell).

Another book I've come across (HTML link) is Modern Perl by chromatic (website).

I've found quite a few nice tricks and comprehensible explanations in it so far. And

among others it touches on a very important subject, namely testing your software in

actual deployment scenarios.

Thirdly, Steve Litt's Perls of Wiswom. It's not the most up-to-date site in the world,

but he has a few tipps that might help newcomers get over some of Perl's (admittedly

rather numerous) pitfalls (or idiosyncrasies, as some like to call them ;)).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

A couple of suggestions i'd like to make if I can. You list Sublime Text 2 as available for Linux, but it is cross-platform for Mac OSX and Windows too (and given its custom interface it's exactly the same across all three platforms =])

As suggestions for books, I'm glad you put up Effective C++ and another i'd suggest that goes alongside (always put forward by my lecturer when he suggests Scott Meyers' books) is Modern C++ Design (Alexandrescu) and you might consider listing either one of Stroustrup's C++ books, given he wrote the language? =] Either 'The C++ Programming Language' or 'Programming Principles and Practices Using C++', though I can only vouch for the latter as a good book for undergraduates looking to learn C++ without a large background in programming. It's a safe way to get started on C++, taught by its creator and it is fantastic.

Thanks for keeping up the work on this, I'm glad it got stickied as this is pretty invaluable for any newcomer stumbling into this sub-forum =]

Nice list of resources also sublime for windows is pretty beast as well.

It's all HTML'd again :(

p.s. i found an intresting book one of my friends has, he says its really good. 

It's called, Game Coding Complete by Mike McShaffry

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

Thanks for all your inputs guys, I will add them shortly and un-HTML it. I am just preparing for my exam which is in 45 minutes so when I have done that I will update the op,

thanks guys.

Thanks for all your inputs guys, I will add them shortly and un-HTML it. I am just preparing for my exam which is in 45 minutes so when I have done that I will update the op,

thanks guys.

Sweet.

What exam? I have an embedded systems exam tomorrow.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

I've been working with a program called Processing, which is very similar to Java and Javascript. Check it out, it's a really simple way to get into programming.

processing.org

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

The C++ Programming Language, 4th Edition by Bjarne Stroustrup is a good resource for people looking for a very in depth introduction to c++.

Guys I believe the thread is still HTML'D (At least for me, how about you?), and no matter what I try I cannot get it to go away. I will keep trying but for now the thread will be like this it appears. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Yeah it's HTML'd for me too (I'd be surprised if it's not for somebody) :(

Ah well, I'm sure it'll get fixed at some point. Since the post is so long by now

it must be quite a bit of work for you to manually fix it I reckon.

Yeah it takes a while, and every time I do it and press save, it will revert back to its HTML form. So I have decided to leave it as it is for a while and maybe try again in a few days.

Are the mods aware of this issue do you know?

Are the mods aware of this issue do you know?

Yeah the powers that be are aware of the issue.

Just out of curiosity: Are you editing in manual mode (typing BB code directly) or

in the WYSIWYG mode?

EDIT: You might want to keep a backup of the post on your local machine and

work on that, then copy-paste that code into the forum editor. If it gets HTML'd

you don't lose all that work every time.

can you fix all the html tags that are apparently not working :) 

Also nice work!

Best regards Zahlio,
Unity asset developer - Game developer (http://playsurvive.com) - Computer Science student

did you intentionally make the html visible? its making it difficult to read... 

If you would have read the above posts then you would know that this a common issue in with the forum. As you can imagine, removing it all is a long and annoying process. Anyway I seem to have resolved it now and I am in the process of adding to the lists.

Sorry guys.