Ultimate Programming Resources Thread

@Zonked

I would recommend adding JetBrains for the community editions of PyCharm for Python and IntelliJ for Java and others. They are built upon their highly successful and totally awesome ReSharper technology. The other IDE's they do are not free but cater for PHP, Ruby and general mobile development. There's also dotPeek (free) which is similar to ILSpy.

Furthermore don't you think it might also be good to reference some source control systems and free source control hosting providers such as BitBucket. I really like Atlassian's combined client SourceTree.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Thank you so much! This will help me a ton with learning programming!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

@Zonked

I would recommend adding JetBrains for the community editions of PyCharm for Python and IntelliJ for Java and others. They are built upon their highly successful and totally awesome ReSharper technology. The other IDE's they do are not free but cater for PHP, Ruby and general mobile development. There's also dotPeek (free) which is similar to ILSpy.

Furthermore don't you think it might also be good to reference some source control systems and free source control hosting providers such as BitBucket. I really like Atlassian's combined client SourceTree.

Also NotePad++ is great for so many languages

Also talentbuddy.co is a great site and i strongly recomand you to use it because it has all kind of problems from the easier ones to the hard ones like making your own gps. The problems are free and they can be write in almost any programming language (python, c, c++, java, etc.) and there is also an option where you can learn web developing with a mentor but this option costs money.

Good luck solving their problems.

I decided it would be a good idea to have a thread that is a complete collection of helpful programming resources and tutorials. This will be an going, frequently updated post that will require input from you guys also. So help me build the ultimate programming resources thread. Simply leave them in the comments and I will add them.

General Programming Resources
Better PHP - PHP Video tutorials
Microsoft Visual Studio - Microsoft Visual Studio (C, C#, C++)
Eclipse - Eclipse  (Java/Android)

Netbeans  (Java)

Code Blocks - Code Blocks (C++)
Bloodshed (C++)

Android Studio - (Still in early development so expect bugs)

Text Editors
Notepad ++ (Windows)
Text Mate (Mac)
Sublime Text 2 (Windows/Linux)

Brackets

Contributors So far...
[member=WhatARoaster'

Thanks to windspeed36 for pinning this thread. (Show him some love for that one!)

Please include IntelliJ as an IDEA, it's mostly for Java, but its 10x better then Eclipse and Netbeans. The UI is intuitive, commands easy and its open developed. Check it out, I love it http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome thread, I believe this application should be added is called O(n). It's an app that helps you to understand and visualize some data structures (stacks, queues, bubble sort, etc.). Also for every data structures there is the source code which cone in handy. Please tell me what you think and what should I improve. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For C++ I would recommend the video series C++ A General Purpose Language and Library for beginners (it also briefly goes into how to use the debugger)

stackoverflow has detailed list of recommended books that's kept up to date.

Also STL's Core C++ series is pretty good. (be prepared for a lot of examples using kitty)

finally http://ideone.com/ for an online compiler/debugger for various languages.

Edit: Oh and I forgot the subreddit /r/dailyprogrammer for weekly easy, intermediate and hard challenges.

• 1 month later...

Harvard's CS50 lectures should be added to the list as well. It's a pretty wonderful introduction to computer science, I'd highly suggest it. Don't watch the lectures to learn any of the languages used but rather the ideas, why they're used, and how to apply them.

CS50 Youtube playlist

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

nice info

CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 955BE | RAM : 8GB | MB : MSI NF725GB-P43 | GPU : Sapphire HD 7790 Dual X OC | Case : Thermaltake V4 BE | HD : 1TB WD | Raidmax RX-735AP 735W

I found this just now for RegEx. It was quite useful indeed!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Since I'm not sure OP is still maintaining this thread I'm going be doing so

myself (unless OP shows up again). Since I'm terribly busy with college at

the moment I will likely need to wait until the beginning of next year with

that though.

Just FYI. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

that though.

It would be nice to have this maintained once more. There's certainly a large backlog of data to work though as well :(

that though.

Please do, great thread :)

It would be nice to have this maintained once more. There's certainly a large backlog of data to work though as well :(

Please do, great thread :)

Yes, would be a shame to let this wither and die IMHO.

I just need to find the time to bring it up to date again. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 4 weeks later...

ProgramCreek.com

Program Creek by X Wang would have to be the best Java site out there by far. As a junior Java developer I find myself refer to this site for best practices, api examples and to catch up on the latest Java 8 features. For folks looking to apply to big tech companies I highly recommend reviewing his Wang's Coding Interview section to brush up on them algorithms.

I would higly recomment using www.checkio.org. It has giant set of interesting tasks and quizzes in game form.

It also has great community, which is really helpful during learning process