Ultimate Programming Resources Thread

Zonked, on 21 May 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:

Sorry guys.

Well it's hardly your fault now is it? :lol:

In any case, thanks for all the work! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Sorry for the lack of updates; I took a hiatus from the internet for the bank holiday weekend... Damn it felt good!

Anyway...

I understand the whole 'w3schools/w3fools' thing, but regardless of that; I still feel that it is a great reference at the very least and does have good information on it; so unless there is a huge vote for me to get rid if it, I do feel it should stay.

And as far as the last two links that people suggested; both Mozilla Developers Network and Codecademy are already listed.

Thanks

Rob

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

EDIT: Added an Android Development section because... Well because Android is awesome!!

Also, I would like to add an iOS development section but I know nothing about it; so if anyone has anything that could go in an iOS section; that would be rad.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Heads up, the first complier link just refreshes to the page.. 

another free and easy to use complier for C/C++

Dev C++ by Bloodshed-- http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Another C language resource, 

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Programming

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Heads up, the first complier link just refreshes to the page.. 

another free and easy to use complier for C/C++

Dev C++ by Bloodshed-- http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Another C language resource, 

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Programming

Thanks dude, I will update the op shortly.

It's all HTML'd again :(

p.s. i found an intresting book one of my friends has, he says its really good. 

It's called, Game Coding Complete by Mike McShaffry

I own the second edition of that book from like 2005, I didn't understand it then and of course haven't bothered reading it again. I would say it's worth consideration if you want to write your own game engine. But with all the freely available tools I would begin learning at a higher level. Starting with something like Unity, and if I still want to dig deeper moving to a set of engines such as Ogre3D for graphics and Newton or Bullet for physics. THEN moving on to creating your own engine. I've done lots of work with Unity and a little work with OpenGL and DirectX and can vouch for not re-inventing the wheel unless you specifically want the learning experience. I will say that Game Coding Complete is fun to open once in a while because it does give a top to bottom view of Video game architecture.

Also, the category you have title as 'Compilers' are technically "IDE's" (Integrated Developer Enviroments). For compilers you're looking for names like GCC, Clang, and Intel';s and Microsoft's compilers (don't know the names)

I really like http://projecteuler.net/ for progamming/math exercises. Many of the early ones are easy enough but soon if you don't do some heavy research you'll end up with programs that run for half an hour to give you the wrong answer (the problems are designed to have the solution program run in under a minute).

Books I own and have actually read at least partially and aren't on the list are:

The mythical man-month by Frederick P. Brooks JR. (About software project management, a little dry so I haven't finished yet)

The Passionate Programmer by Chad Fowler. (About Career goals and finding your niche in the market.)

Introduction to Algorithms By Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, and Ronald L. Rivest (Great textbook for an overview of algorithms and data structures. I need to read this cover to cover this summer since I'll understand the discrete math behind the performance analysis sections)

And I really want to own The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth But i haven't been able to make myself purchase a book set that costs as much as an expensive piece of hardware. After I finish my aforementioned algorithms book I am going to very strongly consider it.

Also, not specifically on programming but if you have a reasonable grounding in mathematics then Douglas R. Hofstadter's "Godel, Esher, Bach" is a very entertaining and sometimes beautiful take on Math, A.I., Programming, and other topics that are mish-mashed in there. It doesn't have to make the list but I would recommend people look it up, I just started re-reading it now that I have a better math foundation. It was still great fun to read and it isn't math heavy but if I understood mathematical induction and some basic mathematical reasoning i imagine I would have been blown away much more often while reading.

And, if anyone has any interest in understanding hardware I can recommend these books, that way you can get a much deeper understanding of what your code is actually doing:

Computer organization and architecture By Linda Null and Julia Lobur

Computer Oranization and Design By David A. Patterson and John L. Hennesy

And if you ever work with logic (again not programming per se but worth mentioning) this program is great for playing with logic circuits, and if ambitious enough building your own CPU!:

http://ozark.hendrix.edu/~burch/logisim/

I own other books and know of other resources but I feel hesitant to mention them as I haven't actually used or read them. So I'll leave this as is for now.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I can vouch for this book, used it quite a bit last year.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

I was talking about software architecture in another thread (about organizing ideas when programming) and I remembered this book we read some chapter of in class: AOSA book (Architecture of Open Source Applications).

It has two volumes and every chapter of both is available at the website. In each chapter authors of an open source application talk about the architecture they used in their applications and what they learned from doing it the way they did. It is a great way to know how to structure an application based on the problems we have to solve.

Also noteworthy is "Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design - George Coulouris, Jean Dollimore, Tim Kindberg and Gordon Blair". It is a very useful resource for people that want to know more about distributed systems. I have used it for two courses in college and I think it talks about most of the relevant aspects in mobile computing, security, replication, consistency, etc. Here is the link to it's website (so you can see the table of contents, among other things, and not just believe my half-baked explanation!): http://www.cdk5.net/wp/

I own the second edition of that book from like 2005, I didn't understand it then and of course haven't bothered reading it again. I would say it's worth consideration if you want to write your own game engine. But with all the freely available tools I would begin learning at a higher level. Starting with something like Unity, and if I still want to dig deeper moving to a set of engines such as Ogre3D for graphics and Newton or Bullet for physics. THEN moving on to creating your own engine. I've done lots of work with Unity and a little work with OpenGL and DirectX and can vouch for not re-inventing the wheel unless you specifically want the learning experience. I will say that Game Coding Complete is fun to open once in a while because it does give a top to bottom view of Video game architecture.

Also, the category you have title as 'Compilers' are technically "IDE's" (Integrated Developer Enviroments). For compilers you're looking for names like GCC, Clang, and Intel';s and Microsoft's compilers (don't know the names)

I really like http://projecteuler.net/ for progamming/math exercises. Many of the early ones are easy enough but soon if you don't do some heavy research you'll end up with programs that run for half an hour to give you the wrong answer (the problems are designed to have the solution program run in under a minute).

Books I own and have actually read at least partially and aren't on the list are:

The mythical man-month by Frederick P. Brooks JR. (About software project management, a little dry so I haven't finished yet)

The Passionate Programmer by Chad Fowler. (About Career goals and finding your niche in the market.)

Introduction to Algorithms By Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, and Ronald L. Rivest (Great textbook for an overview of algorithms and data structures. I need to read this cover to cover this summer since I'll understand the discrete math behind the performance analysis sections)

And I really want to own The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth But i haven't been able to make myself purchase a book set that costs as much as an expensive piece of hardware. After I finish my aforementioned algorithms book I am going to very strongly consider it.

Also, not specifically on programming but if you have a reasonable grounding in mathematics then Douglas R. Hofstadter's "Godel, Esher, Bach" is a very entertaining and sometimes beautiful take on Math, A.I., Programming, and other topics that are mish-mashed in there. It doesn't have to make the list but I would recommend people look it up, I just started re-reading it now that I have a better math foundation. It was still great fun to read and it isn't math heavy but if I understood mathematical induction and some basic mathematical reasoning i imagine I would have been blown away much more often while reading.

And, if anyone has any interest in understanding hardware I can recommend these books, that way you can get a much deeper understanding of what your code is actually doing:

Computer organization and architecture By Linda Null and Julia Lobur

And if you ever work with logic (again not programming per se but worth mentioning) this program is great for playing with logic circuits, and if ambitious enough building your own CPU!:

http://ozark.hendrix.edu/~burch/logisim/

I own other books and know of other resources but I feel hesitant to mention them as I haven't actually used or read them. So I'll leave this as is for now.

Wow thanks for that man! I can't believe I forgot to put Introduction to Algorithms on there. To me that was the most valuable book I ever read.

EDIT: added and credited people. Mainly added books, but also a C and C++ reference. 

I can't believe I forgot this the first time around, bit css-tricks is really quite

excellent. Not only can you get good explanations for a lot of CSS' basics, but

also many interesting and clever experiments which are often quite awesome.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

You have this written in the books section:

Modern C++ - Scott Meyers

I think you meant Modern C++ Design - Andrei Alexandrescu (from my previous mention).

Also, an invaluable book for anybody looking to get into Artificial Intelligence would be "Artificial Intelligence: A modern approach" by Novig as it's a course book that pretty much covers every aspect of AI.

I forgot to mention another one of my favorite websites:

http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/

Programs that write the lyrics to the 99 bottles of beer song in possibly every programming language imaginable.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I don't know if anybody mentioned this or if it even belongs here, but here's a neat website that has tutorials on SDL and opengl: http://lazyfoo.net/, the author uses c++ on the tutorials.

-The guy who you know as CeRi

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of good books on that list.
Here are some I'd recommend on a diversity of topics, that are not on the list:

Computer Networking: A top-down approach featuring the internet (James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross)
Database System Concepts (Abraham Silberschatz, Henry F. Korth, S. Sudarshan)
Artificial Intelligence, A Modern Approach (Stuart Russel, Peter Norvig)
Concepts in Programming Languages (John C. Mitchell)
The Art of Prolog (Leon Sterling, Ehud Shapiro)
Elements of the Theory of Computation (Papadimitriou)
Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice (Hughes, van Dam, McGuire, Sklar)

Also this is a good, free, introductory book to OCaml: Introduction to Objective Caml (Jason Hickey)

Finally, these websites are also good alternatives to ProjectEuler (they're definitely less math-heavy):
USACO Training Gateway (this one is great for learning)

P.S. - Under "Operating Systems Concepts with Java - Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Galvin, Greg Gagne" you have:
As well as learning resources, I also think it would be good to add software, such as compilers, and text editors.

You probably copied and pasted it without noticing, should be removed! :)

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

A lot of good books on that list.
Here are some I'd recommend on a diversity of topics, that are not on the list:

Computer Networking: A top-down approach featuring the internet (James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross)
Database System Concepts (Abraham Silberschatz, Henry F. Korth, S. Sudarshan)
Artificial Intelligence, A Modern Approach (Stuart Russel, Peter Norvig)
Concepts in Programming Languages (John C. Mitchell)
The Art of Prolog (Leon Sterling, Ehud Shapiro)
Elements of the Theory of Computation (Papadimitriou)
Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice (Hughes, van Dam, McGuire, Sklar)

Also this is a good, free, introductory book to OCaml: Introduction to Objective Caml (Jason Hickey)

Finally, these websites are also good alternatives to ProjectEuler (they're definitely less math-heavy):
USACO Training Gateway (this one is great for learning)

P.S. - Under "Operating Systems Concepts with Java - Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Galvin, Greg Gagne" you have:
As well as learning resources, I also think it would be good to add software, such as compilers, and text editors.

You probably copied and pasted it without noticing, should be removed! :)

Thanks mac, that was a lot of awesome resources

Sorry if this is too basic but I think that      http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html

is another great tool for learning introductory JAVA as well as some general computer knowledge.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Started with Code-academy few weeks back! It is very interesting and well made. I can only recommend for beginners. Thanks for making this topic @Zonked

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Brackets is a very good text editor as well.

Created and maintained by Adobe.

Still very green in some functions but has a large community working on it!

crafted personality!

Started with Code-academy few weeks back! It is very interesting and well made. I can only recommend for beginners. Thanks for making this topic @Zonked

No problem man

Brackets is a very good text editor as well.

Created and maintained by Adobe.

Still very green in some functions but has a large community working on it!

Thanks for that, I like Bracket, thanks for showing it me dude. 

Edit: Added new text editors, Java resource and a few books. I also neatened the whole thing up a bit. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. If I have forgot to credit anyone, please let me know.

Very nice thread, helps people expand on their knowledge thank you mate

TASTE THE RAINBOW