Intel Haswell

mnm0710

Haswell will be great. It just wont be great enough to upgrade from IB.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Most of Haswell's improvements will be moot until a fair amount of code is recompiled to utilize some of the improvements.
A simple IPC increase isn't all that special or even needed over current gen parts. I just think Haswell is getting a lot of hype and there are going to be some disappointed people out there.

While this very well may end up being the case, I think there is some room to be optimistic. An intel engineer recently stated "If you like to overclock, Haswell is worth it (can't tell you why but read the Haswell Anandtech preview very carefully for buried treasure)". Just a couple weeks later, it was leaked that Haswell will feature integrated VRM that will allow for very granular power control. A more optimistic scenario would be that Intel continues to increase on IPC while also bumping up overclockability. Remember, Ivy was somewhat hurt in this department and thats why we see many people running less Mhz on average than Sandy, or even going through with things like delidding the chip.

I'm still holding on to 1366, as long as Haswell doesn't blow my mind.

MEH

• 2 weeks later...

Well for me, I've been sitting on my Q9550 at 3.8GHz. I think there will be a nice boost from haswell, especially if I can get 4.5GHz out of it. Then I will be free to get any graphics card without worry of a bottleneck. I think a Maxwell card will do nicely. Maybe an 880. If I do, I'll take a picture with it and my old 8800GTX. :D

What about second breakfast?

Well for me, I've been sitting on my Q9550 at 3.8GHz. I think there will be a nice boost from haswell, especially if I can get 4.5GHz out of it. Then I will be free to get any graphics card without worry of a bottleneck. I think a Maxwell card will do nicely. Maybe an 880. If I do, I'll take a picture with it and my old 8800GTX. :D
You will have a big boost from a Q9550 to a i5 2500K/3570K. The architecture is much more refined.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Well, I've been sitting, and I can afford to sit a bit more. No point in rushing out and buying something I don't need yet. I really don't need a new cpu until I get a new graphics card.

What about second breakfast?

Most of Haswell's improvements will be moot until a fair amount of code is recompiled to utilize some of the improvements.
A simple IPC increase isn't all that special or even needed over current gen parts. I just think Haswell is getting a lot of hype and there are going to be some disappointed people out there.
While this very well may end up being the case' date=' I think there is some room to be optimistic. An intel engineer recently stated "If you like to overclock, Haswell is worth it (can't tell you why but read the Haswell Anandtech preview very carefully for buried treasure)". Just a couple weeks later, it was leaked that Haswell will feature integrated VRM that will allow for very granular power control. A more optimistic scenario would be that Intel continues to increase on IPC while also bumping up overclockability. Remember, Ivy was somewhat hurt in this department and thats why we see many people running less Mhz on average than Sandy, or even going through with things like delidding the chip.[/quote']

Ivy would run much better and OC ALOT better if intel hadn't used that paste, otherwise sandy would get knocked on her bum by ivy!

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Shame, seems like the lack of competition from AMD is meaning that Intel can relax a bit. Although, ARM is coming up so hopefully that might bolster them a bit more. That, or Intel are just fine tuning their CPUs to make for a much smoother release..here's hoping. :)
Completly agree

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

will haswell be upgrade worthy from sandy bridge you think? like ivybridge wasn't a worthwhile upgrade from sandybridge?
If your using integrated graphics yeah it should be otherwise i dont think so

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

will haswell be upgrade worthy from sandy bridge you think? like ivybridge wasn't a worthwhile upgrade from sandybridge?
My god, ultrabooks with the power of a laptop that has a dedicated graphics card and uses so much less power.... Yes please!!!

It would be nice to build a budget gaming PC with Haswell CPU because of the IGPU.

If they change the sockets I doubt very many people will upgrade. A motherboard AND a CPU is huge and expensive upgrade. Especially as there won't be much choice in motherboards.

Yeah especially when 1366 and 1156 still being decent/great CPUs for gaming and anyone that just got a 1155 and 2011 platform will not be upgrading.

I'm going to see 1150(Haswell's socket type) and DDR4 will be a standard around 2015/2016.

It'd have to be... something completely different than we expect at the moment to really be worth an upgrade.. From what i've read it looks like a more overclock friendly ivy bridge.

Haswell is a different architecture based off of Ivy, like Nehalem before Sandy Bridge, but so far the rumors floating claims10% better IPC per clock, but take that with a grain of salt because the instructions per cycle hasn't increased from Kentsfield, Yorkfield, Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge.

This is all speculation of course.

So it's going to be the ivy of sandy to the ivy?

really? i was thinking about upgrading my sandybridge this year

I read recently that Haswell will have a hardware mpeg2 encoder.. but not any real info about this specifically.

Perhaps for recording gameplay? Previous CPU's would get fairly taxed, but if its hardware based, it might allow for effortless gameplay recording to file/streaming over the net?

Any other thoughts about this feature?

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Seriously, I still have a Nehalem Core i5-760 running at 3.66Ghz, and I haven't seen a game it can't handle. I don't get it why people keep changing their processor. Why not save for a better graphics card?

It's going to be a good upgrade for those still running Core 2/AMD Phenom or earlier.

In the past, when a CPU is delayed it could mean that there is a issue with the CPU itself.

Delay doesnt matter too much to me im building an Ivy but anyway Im excited!

Seriously' date=' I still have a Nehalem Core i5-760 running at 3.66Ghz, and I haven't seen a game it can't handle. I don't get it why people keep changing their processor. Why not save for a better graphics card? It's going to be a good upgrade for those still running Core 2/AMD Phenom or earlier. [/quote']

Yo. I'm on a phenom2 3-core and I can feel its aging badly now... Personally I can't wait for haswell.. My nvidia gtx580 has given my PC a longer life.. But its time /sheds tear

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I've always wondered, did AMD just have a 1 hit wonder with the Athlon 64 ?

I have a Q9550 @ ~3.8GHz (450FSB) that I've only swapped a 4870 to a 6870 about halfway through its life with me. I too am looking at Haswell as my upgrade of choice.

CPU -> Intel 4770K @ Core: 4.5GHz 1.250 volts / Cache: 4.4GHz 1.245 volts (Hyper-threading enabled) :: COOLING -> Corsair H100i :: RAM -> Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-43 1T 1.650 volts :: PSU -> Corsair AX860i

MOBO -> ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO Bios 1402  ::  Case -> Corsair Air 540 ::  Mouse -> Logitech G500s ::  KB -> Logitech G510 (for now) ::  Storage -> SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB :: HDD1 - Seagate 1TB Barracuda HDD2 - Seagate 2TB Barracuda 

GPU -> ASUS GTX 780 DCUii 3GB :: GPU @ 1059 MHz / 1202 MHz Boost :: GDDR @ 1652 MHz (6.608 GHz effective) stock volts ::  Monitor -> Asus VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms 1080p ::  Router -> RT-AC68U Firmware MerlinWRT 374.42-2

Results seem fishy to say the least .

Agreed, but had to post as the only info so far on the chip.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.