Should Steam Make Demos Mandatory?

Piracy is a big issue around the world, you may have you opinions, but regardless it hurts developers. Many people I know torrent games to see if they are worth buying. Due to the fact games can be deceiving when just looking at pictures on Steam before paying for it why don't we have more demo's to test out the game for a short amount of time. I think that if Steam made it mandatory for developers to have a demo available for new games it could help improve their profits and save our money as consumers. If we see a game we might like, but are not sure to buy, having a demo available might just help you say yes or no. What do you guys think of this idea?

CPU:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 Ghz  - Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 - RAM:Kingston Hyper X Blu - 8GB - GPU:Gigabyte GTX 760 - Case:NZXT H440 Red & Black - SSD:Kingston Digital 120GB - HDD:(2) Western Digital 1TB Blue - PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W 80 PLUS Bronze - Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB - Mouse:Corsair M45

NO

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I can't help but think Developers would just use the best bits of the game for the demo anyway. It would be deceptive.

And in this day and age you can just watch a YouTube video in order to get a look and feel for a game.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

Gameplay videos FTW

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I never play demos anyways so its not important for me. If I consider a game I either play the beta or find a friend to let me play since I want the full game experience.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Meh, I think piracy truly harms the indie games (because thats what I do to see where they are at).... There are a lot of 'early access' games that need to get regulated. Perhaps add an activity feed for the amount of updates on the game so we can be aware whether its being worked on or not. Or maybe enforce that a big monthly update be mandatory? Especially now that I'm seeing like indie games priced the same as AAA titles.

I downloaded Wargame: European Escalation not knowing that it was a strategy game. I was hoping that you could drive tanks individually.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

If they incorporated a system that would allow 1hr of gameplay like the ps4 that would be awesome

I am a happy wuffy

I downloaded Wargame: European Escalation not knowing that it was a strategy game. I was hoping that you could drive tanks individually.

Maybe you should have seen some YouTube videos, or looked at the genre :-p

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I can't help but think Developers would just use the best bits of the game for the demo anyway. It would be deceptive.

And in this day and age you can just watch a YouTube video in order to get a look and feel for a game.

just like a lot of movie trailers, some completly ruin the whole movie because they show so much :/

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The argument "demos will prevent piracy" is a very flimsy one in my mind. Devs are going to showcase the best parts and I doubt people really pirate it then buy it later. I know SOME do but I think most people who say that don't actually.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Releasing a demo requires extra coding, which requires more time. I can do without it.

What they should actually do is release ACTUAL uncut gameplay. Not the pre-rendered nonsense and "gameplay" from viewing angles that aren't actually achievable in the retail version of the game. If devs did their own let's plays, they could increase sales and maybe make some money on the back end like youtubers of today. Plus you can see the games being played as they were intended.

The one hour thing that Playstation Plus does is a good idea too. But for multiplayer games, that's not really enough time to see the different weapons and whatnot. You wouldn't be able to try any of the gadgets in a game like BF4.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

I remember the late 90's/early 00's when i used to buy magazines that came with cd's that had like 5 or 6 demo's on them. I found heaps of games that i otherwise never would have taken an interest in that way. Even lots of apps have trial apps these days. There seriously needs to be so many more demo's.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I think valve should experiment with it to try and ascertain the impact it has on sales. I don't buy the argument that devs will showcase the best parts. What You consider the best part is subjective, and anyway there is No disguising the core gameplay mechanics. You would typically enjoy a demo far less than the full game in which You have a chance to get deeper into it.

I like the PSPlus way, you get to download the game and get to play for an hour.

If you like the game you purchase it, retaining your game save and just continue on. That way there is no extra coding or development time taken up creating demo content

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes, all games should have a demo, even youtube gameplay videos can look exciting and when you actually play it it's not, FEZ made me fall for that and watching infestation being played by my mates only to realise how crap it is when your on your own.

And ingame only trailers too.

I would rather the developers work on the entire game, rather than an amazing first level and the rest of the game be awful.

The problem with a traditional demo is that it requires time and money to create.

What we need is for the distribution platforms themselves (Origin, Steam, Uplay, XBL, PSN etc) to evolve and provide us with better ways of trying games before we invest in them. That way we could get a demo for every game and it wouldn't put any excess work or stress on the developers.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I would rather the developers work on the entire game, rather than an amazing first level and the rest of the game be awful.

Why the first? Most old demos use to be the second or a few levels

The problem with a traditional demo is that it requires time and money to create.

What we need is for the distribution platforms themselves (Origin, Steam, Uplay, XBL, PSN etc) to evolve and provide us with better ways of trying games before we invest in them. That way we could get a demo for every game and it wouldn't put any excess work or stress on the developers.

Demos are barely minimal effort to make, you take the finished or near finished game and just put 1 level with 1 character and just "delete" the rest

Demos are barely minimal effort to make, you take the finished or near finished game and just put 1 level with 1 character and just "delete" the rest

How much programming experience do you have?

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

I thought about this and realized it's not Gonna happen. There is no way that valve would or could dictate terms in this manner to other game devs. It would make them unpopular with other devs. steam does not control the devs- it's different from a traditional publishing model.

How much programming experience do you have?

Enough thanks.

Edit: I'm not causing an arguement but demos are important and even if it's after the game has been released it makes sense as the people who want the game have brought it and those who are sitting on the fence need convincing.