Microsoft Office Not Coming With HP Notebook?

Hey so a friend of mine came to me asking me to "hack" Microsoft Office so it would work for her. She gave me her laptop (HP Pavilion with Windows 8) and upon further investigation, I found that Office had expired on her computer. It seems weird because the computer is new as of 4 months ago and from what she told me, there was only a trial of Microsoft Office preloaded on the computer. This seemed weird because I thought every pc that you buy pre-build would have the full version of Office on it. Now I was just wondering if she may have missed a paper in the box with the activation code in it or if there was even an activation code to begin with.

If you have had this same experience or have any insight, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

I can smell you

Interesting, thanks.

I can smell you

Office is usually included in prebuilt machines, especially laptops. I used to have an HP laptop and it came with a full version of Office, and so did my Alienware M14x.

Check the box it came in for a license or anything. That's strange. HP usually has a ton of bloatware that comes with it, and then Office and a light version of Photoshop.

LibreOffice FTW! and at the cost of a download that won't get you arrested or at least put on some bad list.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Was it office 365? Cause thats subscription based and she likely got 3 months free. Only some windows 8 tablets so far have gotten truly free office home and student. Laptops in the win7 era shortly after sp1 came out were shipped with office starter which had limited functionality. Microsoft thought a good percentage would upgrade to at least home and student but for most that was fine which is why it was discontinued when office 2013 launched, if not a bit before. Besides these instances office has never been given away free unless a oem decides to do it but they like to make se cash selling it since they get a break on the price just like they do on windows. You could check out office.live.com

haven't seen free office since the xp era personally.  besides win8 tablets like profosist said.

Hey so a friend of mine came to me asking me to "hack" Microsoft Office so it would work for her. She gave me her laptop (HP Pavilion with Windows 8) and upon further investigation, I found that Office had expired on her computer. It seems weird because the computer is new as of 4 months ago and from what she told me, there was only a trial of Microsoft Office preloaded on the computer. This seemed weird because I thought every pc that you buy pre-build would have the full version of Office on it. Now I was just wondering if she may have missed a paper in the box with the activation code in it or if there was even an activation code to begin with.

If you have had this same experience or have any insight, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Office never comes free on PCs. Not for yearsssssss (with the exception of a few windows tablets and the odd netbook and VERY rare promotion)

It has always been a pay option. the people who had it included on their alienware/hp or whatever will have paid for it, I guarantee it will have been a cost inside their bundle.

(Source: 7 Years in computer retail for the biggest retailer in Europe)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Here it depends on shop. There used to be deals where they would include 1 year of AV and Office etc. But I haven't seen those in long time. Most likely because LibreOffice etc is cheaper than making bundles. And today also because Office 365.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

All that crap that comes preloaded on PCs is not free, it is all trial stuff.  There are ways to activate the trial versions...... 

Was it office 365? Cause thats subscription based and she likely got 3 months free. Only some windows 8 tablets so far have gotten truly free office home and student. Laptops in the win7 era shortly after sp1 came out were shipped with office starter which had limited functionality. Microsoft thought a good percentage would upgrade to at least home and student but for most that was fine which is why it was discontinued when office 2013 launched, if not a bit before. Besides these instances office has never been given away free unless a oem decides to do it but they like to make se cash selling it since they get a break on the price just like they do on windows. You could check out office.live.com

Yeah it is. Hmm, bummer. Thanks for your help and background info. I'll check out office.live.com

Thanks again

I can smell you

Thank you everyone, I certainly learned something new today.

I can smell you

Yeah it is. Hmm, bummer. Thanks for your help and background info. I'll check out office.live.com

Thanks again

np man!