Photo Editing Rig

Go to solution Solved by SSOB,

Anyway my advice is to wait for Z97 , only 2 weeks.

Hello,

My father has tasked me with building a photo editing rig for his small photography business. The PC would be used primarily to run Photoshop and edit high resolution photos, as well as general productivity work. I've put together a tentative parts list but, having never built a PC before, I would greatly appreciate a second opinion. The URL below directs to the parts list; is any of it overkill, inadequate, incompatible, or just the wrong choice? Have I forgotten anything?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C3GjFlSz5yRnPnyNCIjk9OrZVWmOBK9jLqx3Iex2ckQ/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,

CasualTea 

meh... decent... I would use PCPartPicker

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

budget?

location?

uses? what editing software

use the quote button if you want my help

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

how bout this:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.31 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($255.66 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1243.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-05 19:16 EDT-0400)

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

The usual paperwork sir:

1. Budget & Location
You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD ect.

2. Aim
What is the system going to be used for? Web browsing, 3D work? Different systems need different levels of performance - a computer based for web browsing and office use won't handle heavy graphic design and video editing and a proper video editing system isn't good for gaming. If your aim is for gaming, please list what sort of gaming. In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

3. Monitors
How many monitors do you plan on running? Do you plan on moving to more monitors in the future? What resolution are they at too?

4. Peripherals
Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

5. Why are you upgrading?
We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

After filling in our highly sophisticated form me and others can reccomend builds ( Mine will be superior in every way of course.)

Anyway enough of sarcasm , welcome on the forum and please fill in that quote btw for a reccomendation.

Interested in Business and Technology

budget?

location?

uses? what editing software

use the quote button if you want my help

He would prefer to keep the budget at $1500 CDN. As I stated, he will primarily be using Photoshop (CS6 right now) to do high-res edits, as well as using it for bookkeeping and other such things.

how bout this:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard:  MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.31 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($255.66 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1243.71
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-05 19:16 EDT-0400)

This is very similar to the build I posted. Can you comment on what makes the parts you altered preferable?

The usual paperwork sir:

After filling in our highly sophisticated form me and others can reccomend builds ( Mine will be superior in every way of course.)

Anyway enough of sarcasm , welcome on the forum and please fill in that quote btw for a reccomendation.

Thanks for the welcome.

Budget and location:

We are located in Canada, and have a budget of about 1500$, which he would be very hesitant to exceed.

Aims:

The computer will be used strictly for my dad's photo business, and the only intensive application will be editing photos in Photoshop CS. The resolution of these photos can be rather high.

Monitors:

He will be running one monitor. We are not certain on the resolution yet, as we are planning to upgrade this as well, but are considering 1440p.

Peripherals:

We do not require a new keyboard or mouse, but as stated, we are looking in to a new monitor.

Reason for upgrading:

He is upgrading because his current computer is quite old, has some performance and stability issues, and he wants to alter his storage and backup system.

Hm, I've been rather out of the loop and hadn't realized. I will wait, but do you have any other advice in the meantime?

He would prefer to keep the budget at $1500 CDN. As I stated, he will primarily be using Photoshop (CS6 right now) to do high-res edits, as well as using it for bookkeeping and other such things.

alright here id would add another 1tb red because they are good for raid set ups and nice fast drives are always useful for editors

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.98 @ Amazon Canada)

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.79 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($184.50 @ Vuugo)

Memory:  Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($159.96 @ DirectCanada)

Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage:  Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.75 @ Vuugo)

Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($359.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Case:  NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply:  Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $1550.93

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-05 19:39 EDT-0400)

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Thanks for the welcome.

Budget and location:

We are located in Canada, and have a budget of about 1500$, which he would be very hesitant to exceed.

Aims:

The computer will be used strictly for my dad's photo business, and the only intensive application will be editing photos in Photoshop CS. The resolution of these photos can be rather high.

Monitors:

He will be running one monitor. We are not certain on the resolution yet, as we are planning to upgrade this as well, but are considering 1440p.

Peripherals:

We do not require a new keyboard or mouse, but as stated, we are looking in to a new monitor.

Reason for upgrading:

He is upgrading because his current computer is quite old, has some performance and stability issues, and he wants to alter his storage and backup system.

This monitor:

wait for Z97 ( 2-3 weeks.) 

alright here id would add another 1tb red because they are good for raid set ups and nice fast drives are always useful for editors

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.98 @ Amazon Canada)

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.79 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($184.50 @ Vuugo)

Memory:  Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($159.96 @ DirectCanada)

Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage:  Western Digital Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.75 @ Vuugo)

Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($359.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Case:  NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply:  Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $1550.93

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-05 19:39 EDT-0400

He really only needs 1TB of working memory for his client files. So 2x WD Reds would be considerably better than 2x WD Greens in RAID 1? 

Hm, I've been rather out of the loop and hadn't realized. I will wait, but do you have any other advice in the meantime?

Basicall the monitor i suggested, you can already get the case, CPU cooler and Powersupply

-Fractal Design R4 

-Noctua NH-D14/15 . BeQuiet Dark Rock pro 3, Noctua NH-U12S

-CX500/600| RM550/650, Coolermaster V650/700

He really only needs 1TB of working memory for his client files. So 2x WD Reds would be considerably better than 2x WD Greens in RAID 1? 

No just get the cheapest HDD and put them in raid 1 . Seagate Barracuda or Caviar blue. Honestly it does not make a difference. 

I would just get two of these and raid them: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

whatevers cheaper i woudlnt recommend the greens because their slower then the normal ones 

Specs

Basicall the monitor i suggested, you can already get the case, CPU cooler and Powersupply

-Fractal Design R4 

-Noctua NH-D14/15 . BeQuiet Dark Rock pro 3, Noctua NH-U12S

-CX500/600| RM550/650, Coolermaster V650/700

No just get the cheapest HDD and put them in raid 1 . Seagate Barracuda or Caviar blue. Honestly it does not make a difference. 

I would just get two of these and raid them: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

Yes, that monitor is super cool, but his budget for a monitor is closer to $1000. 

Thanks for the advice on the HDDs, and what I can buy now.

Yes, that monitor is super cool, but his budget for a monitor is closer to $1000. 

Thanks for the advice on the HDDs, and what I can buy now.

Wait 1-2 months and there will be even 4K monitors for that price with good color reproduction , Get at least an IPS/PLS 8 bit panel ( Preferably 10 bit.)

Wait 1-2 months and there will be even 4K monitors for that price with good color reproduction , Get at least an IPS/PLS 8 bit panel ( Preferably 10 bit.)

Thanks again for the advice. I'll keep my eyes peeled for monitors.