tips before parts arrived?

hey guys so i finally bought all the parts through newegg  and they will be arriving soon. Few questions before they arrived. My 22 inch vizio tv has dvi and hdmi should i use hdmi to plug it into the pc? The pc will be built on my desk but my room is full carpet so would that be okay if i touch the case here and there to avoid static?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/itsjaydenn/saved/33wX

Doesnt matter if you use hdmi or dvi, just makesure you plug it into the graphics card ports not the motherboard i/o :P

You should be fine, but I would really advise just getting a antistatic wrist/ankle strap to be safe and have the peace of mind knowing you're doing it right :)

dvi is better

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

hey guys so i finally bought all the parts through newegg  and they will be arriving soon. Few questions before they arrived. My 22 inch vizio tv has dvi and hdmi should i use hdmi to plug it into the pc? The pc will be built on my desk but my room is full carpet so would that be okay if i touch the case here and there to avoid static?

1) Whether you use DVI or HDMI won't really matter, but I prefer DVI. Though, whichever you end up using, plug it into your GTX 770, not your motherboard.

2) If you're ever going to put your PC on the floor (carpet) and you have your PSU installed fan-down (which I recommend) make sure you put it on a hard surface, not directly on the carpet. Your PSU will act as a vacuum and suck up too much negativity. I know you're putting it on your desk; but I thought I would mention this anyways in case you decide to move it in the future.

3) Don't build your computer in your room. Go where there isn't carpet. This isn't crucial, however, if you can avoid it, I would do so.

4) During the build process, make sure you're using an anti-static wrist strap, or making constant / perpetual contact with something metal - such as the chassis or your PSU.

5) Once you get a chance, I would use a monitor over your Vizio if your main function is gaming. You'll get less blur and input lag, among other benefits.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

thx for the input guys. yeah the tv is just temporary until i can get a monitor. Oh and what is a good free anti virus program to use once i installed windows 7

If you use HDMI you can use the build in speaker of the monitor too, I think it would work with a TV as well. (I still prefer DVI cause I have a speaker)

As for anything else you may need to know, go watch any of Linus's full build guide from top to bottom, he give alot of useful tips here and there.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I'm guessing your TV is 1080p, so I would go HDMI

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Make sure everything and I mean everything you do and touch, you are static free! Other than than that, read the Manuals, keep trying, have fun and look on tutorials for help. Google and Linus tech community is your friend for troubleshooting :)

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Get an anti-static wrist strap. you DON'T want to fry your system before the first test boot. As far as your TV goes, either port is fine.

Gaming/Editing PC: AMD FX-8350 | CM Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler | Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600| Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE | PNY XLR8 240GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Corsair 600W ATX Semi-Modular PSU | Thermaltake Chaser A71 | LG 25UM64-S 25.0" 2560 x 1080 Display | CM Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse

thank you everyone for the help. I will try my best when they arrive tomorrow. Its going to take time because this is my very first build.