My 90% Finalised Build

Hi guys,

So, some of you may know that I've posted many configurations of my build over the course of this year and a bit last year with myself trying to decide on what components I should choose with many of you helping me of course. Your help as been greatly appreciated and I need to enlist your help once again if you all don't mind.

Okay, so before I list my PPC build configuration I need to let you know that I'm aware of the fact that Intel is going to be releasing a Haswell refresh and as such most, if not all, Z87 Motherboards will be replaced by Z97 Motherboards and as a result I'll be having to swap out my CPU and Motherboard for the newer equivalents. I'm also aware of NVIDIA's Maxwell GTX 800 series being released either late this year or early next year and so I may be swapping out my GPU for a GTX 860 or GTX 870 when they're released. It's seems so much is happening with technology this year and that's great to see.

Okay so finally, here is my build configuration:

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3EaE6

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3EaE6/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3EaE6/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.00 @ PCCaseGear)

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.00 @ PCCaseGear) « This was initially the GTX 750 Ti because I felt that was all that I needed.

Case: Nanoxia NXDS1W ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX PSU ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Monitor: Asus PB298Q 60Hz 29.0" Monitor ($669.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 Pro PWM 57.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 Pro PWM 57.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.00 @ PCCaseGear)

Total: $2,330.00

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-05 15:16 EST+1000)

BUDGET & LOCATION

My max budget is AU$2,400 (I initially wanted to keep it around AU$2,200). You should be able to identify my location by looking under my profile picture ;). However if you are lazy like myself my location is AUSTRALIA.

AIM

Well this has always been mainly video editing in Sony Vegas Pro with some casual gaming thrown in.

MONITORS

I had initially decided to go with the ASUS PB238Q IPS display to pair with my other 1080p display so that I would have two monitors that were the same resolution for my video editing, however since the PB238Q has been discontinued by ASUS themselves I decided that I would hop on the 21:9 wagon and go with the ASUS PB298Q. The reason I haven't gone with the cheaper MX299Q was because of several reported issues with it.

I did have a good long think about going for a 21:9 monitor and even simulated the 2560x1080 resolution on my current 1080p display and found that a monitor of this aspect ratio would benefit me greatly. I also like it because I get to stay with the 1080p vertical resolution for a combined resolution of 4480x1080 and I know that I'll be more than happy with this display because of how much I can stretch out the Sony Vegas Pro UI. I did think about going with the ASUS PB278Q and even simulated the 2560x1440 resolution and found out quickly that it wasn't my cup of tea, so to speak. I know I've made the right decision with the ASUS PB298Q.

PERIPHERALS

As far as these go I already own a keyboard which is the Logitech K800 Wireless Backlit Keyboard, however I would like to get a good ergonomic mouse but I'm yet to decide on one. I would like to possibly get a decent logitech one just so it matches my keyboard. But this isn't necessary to get now as I can always buy it at a later time. It would also keep the cost of the build down if I didn't get it at the same time.

WHY ARE YOU UPGRADING?

Well to put it simply, my current HP pre-built system is over 6-years old, going on 7 this year, and whilst I manage quite well with it I do feel that an upgrade is overdue and definitely needed and so this is my reason for wanting to upgrade.

I hope that I've included everything. I apologise for such a long post but I think it was needed.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

EDIT: Please don't recommend an AMD CPU/GPU or even a complete AMD build because I have already decided on the Intel/NVIDIA build. I don't dislike AMD products but my work requires an Intel/NVIDIA build.

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'd probably hold up on the monitor and buy a cheap 24" 1080. The way things are going, 4k will be affordable very soon, shooting down other monitor prices.

Yeah, I have thought of this but I keep finding that I'm coming back to the ASUS PB298Q. I've even looked at the ASUS PA248Q and PB248Q IPS monitors as well and yet I keep coming back to the 21:9 monitor. So I figured that this was the one to go with. :D

Fairo, I've had my finger sitting on the Samsung 4k monitor for a while now; I want it, but I know it's a bad idea haha.

Haha, yeah. Especially since Windows doesn't do scaling well ATM which would make everything look like a pixelated mess IMH. Also most cheap 4K monitors are using cruddy TN panels instead of IPS panels. Even cheap 4K IPS panels would've been better than TN.

I have a friend who's selling their NH-D14 cheap if you're interested

Ahh, thanks for your kind offer but I'm not one for Noctua CPU coolers. My theme is black and white and one of those wouldn't be in keeping with it. Plus this build will probably take place around November this year if I'm lucky so it wouldn't be of any use to me right now. But thanks for offering, very much appreciated. :D