UPDATE: Replacement Siwftech H220 has ALSO failed. Pump failure was the cuase, but this time, in a less "chaotic" way.

Well...I received my Swiftech H220 from NCIX last week.

I Performed a full inspection on the exterior of the unit - all checked out okay, other then a few minor bent radiator fins.

Installed the unit into my system today, and approximately after 20 minutes of operation, white electrical smoke started to emerge from the 4-pin PWM connection that comes out from the CPU water block / pump. Powered the system down IMMEDIATELY by pressing and holding the power button on my computer. Thankfully I was standing right beside my computer. Inspected the unit and saw part of the insulation on the 4-pin PWN connector is melted, and a bit of the black plastic on the block itself (near the connector) is burnt / melted. The CPU water block / pump was quite warm to the touch.

I don't even know what to say. Quite literally less than 30 minutes of operation. I'm actually shocked that this happened.

I've installed the unit according to the instruction booklet provided with the H220 unit, AND referred to the instructional videos on Swiftech's website. Additionally, I checked the BIOS to make sure the pump was being controlled via PWM.

After clearing the smoke from my house (smell is still lingering), I began to do some research. This seems to be a common issue with the H220 - premature pump failure.

I noticed a bit of what seemed like the sound of water rushing through when I was handling the H220. I'm beginning to assume the kit was not completely filled with liquid from the factory, and there were air bubbles in the loop. As a result, the air might of gotten trapped at the pump and made it operate dry, causing this failure to occur.

I've already started an RMA with my retailer, NCIX, hopefully some-what better news will come back from them and/or Swiftech.

Was thinking Swiftech, a company known for their liquid cooling products, and the concept of an expandable liquid cooling All-In-One kit...being able to overclock my FX-8350 further than 4.8GHz, hopefully into the 5GHz zone...and stay cool during the summer temperatures...just...I don't know what to say.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Sorry to hear. I heard the pump sucked after the first batch went out. It had to do something with it being banned in america or something idk.

Dang, that sucks man.

Diamond 5 in League :)

That sucks. Hopefully this kind of thing doesn't go unnoticed with the H220X given that you can see inside its reservoir.

I've started something regarding to this on Swiftech's support forum. Hopefully, NCIX or Swiftech can give me a hand.

I probably should've waited until the Cooler Master Glacer 240L finally came back in stock at NCIX...instead of jumping on the Swiftech H220...but the price! Free two-day shipping! And it was in stock!

*sigh*

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Sorry to hear. I heard the pump sucked after the first batch went out. It had to do something with it being banned in america or something idk.

pump issues have been always around from first batch to 100th batch..

and it is not anything to do with Swiftech discontinuing (not banned) US sales.

I've started something regarding to this on Swiftech's support forum. Hopefully, NCIX or Swiftech can give me a hand.

I probably should've waited until the Cooler Master Glacer 240L finally came back in stock at NCIX...instead of jumping on the Swiftech H220...but the price! Free two-day shipping! And it was in stock!

*sigh*

sorry to hear of your issue, and welcome to the magic white smoke club.

Welp, I got a quick reply back from Bryan over at Swiftech. He was saying it could might as well be a defective pump.

Magic white smoke club?? woah...

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Welp, I got a quick reply back from Bryan over at Swiftech. He was saying it could might as well be a defective pump.

Magic white smoke club?? woah...

could/might?

you should disconnect the H220 for that circuit and temporarily plug a PWM fan

into it to test that circuit and make sure it is not damaged from the could/might

defective pump.

the cold plate will easily hold temps for 5-10minutes of idle/light load without

fear of over-temperature.

Thanks for clearing that up!

could/might?

you should disconnect the H220 for that circuit and temporarily plug a PWM fan

into it to test that circuit and make sure it is not damaged from the could/might

defective pump.

the cold plate will easily hold temps for 5-10minutes of idle/light load without

fear of over-temperature.

I connected a PWM fan back on - well...my old CPU cooler that I was using before the H220, Thermaltake Frio with two fan in push-pull - and everything seems to be operating as normal.

I'd be extremely disappointed if it damaged my motherboard in the process...

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

I connected a PWM fan back on - well...my old CPU cooler that I was using before the H220, Thermaltake Frio with two fan in push-pull - and everything seems to be operating as normal.

I'd be extremely disappointed if it damaged my motherboard in the process...

reason to check out the mobo. dead short (the white smoke) does strain the smallish

gauge traces on a mobo. glad to hear that is all good. they'll prolly find the PCB

of the pump is torched or the pump wires are pinched. although they "check" everyone

(especially the RMA replacements) before shipping still yields enough pump complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY CRAP dude. I just had the same thing happen to my H220!! It happened last friday.

My computer is a custom built NCIX PC, about 2 months old, and pretty much on 24/7. Last friday morning, I let my dog out, came back in, then smelled this intense electrical burning smell. I frantically searched the house and realized it was in the computer room. I look on the screen and the bios had some error message about the CPU overheating! I immediately shut it down. Crappy thing was that my wife and I were on our way to Hawaii that morning, so I just unplugged the power bar and to make sure everything was off before we went away. We just got back last night.

I tried turning on the computer again, and the BIOS now says "CPU Fan Error!" I go into the BIOS, and sure enough I'm watching the CPU temperature climb from 29, 30, 31, before I immediately shut down again. Since the computer still posted, I assumed the CPU was not fried, so I just submitted an RMA for the H220. Then I started googling and found your thread!!!

After reading this thread, i went back to my computer when a flashlight, sure enough the wires running into the pump are FRIED!!! Check it out:

AE2C1BE0-AA9D-41F1-842A-AC04A9CC3A22.jpg

I got NCIX to build the system for me, and it's supposed to come with a 1yr warranty. Hopefully this will be covered by them? But after hearing about these fails, I want to change to another brand. What do you guys recommend? Corsair?

HOLY CRAP dude. I just had the same thing happen to my H220!! It happened last friday.

My computer is a custom built NCIX PC, about 2 months old, and pretty much on 24/7. Last friday morning, I let my dog out, came back in, then smelled this intense electrical burning smell. I frantically searched the house and realized it was in the computer room. I look on the screen and the bios had some error message about the CPU overheating! I immediately shut it down. Crappy thing was that my wife and I were on our way to Hawaii that morning, so I just unplugged the power bar and to make sure everything was off before we went away. We just got back last night.

I tried turning on the computer again, and the BIOS now says "CPU Fan Error!" I go into the BIOS, and sure enough I'm watching the CPU temperature climb from 29, 30, 31, before I immediately shut down again. Since the computer still posted, I assumed the CPU was not fried, so I just submitted an RMA for the H220. Then I started googling and found your thread!!!

After reading this thread, i went back to my computer when a flashlight, sure enough the wires running into the pump are FRIED!!! Check it out:

I got NCIX to build the system for me, and it's supposed to come with a 1yr warranty. Hopefully this will be covered by them? But after hearing about these fails, I want to change to another brand. What do you guys recommend? Corsair?

I don't have any AIO cooler right now but I have been doing a lot of research.  I was going to get a h220m then decided on a h220x.  I keep seeing soooo many reports of problems with the pumps that I decided to just get a h100i.  Yeah, it doesn't perform as well and it's only $89-$99 but I pretty much expected to have to replace it at least once and I don't feel like doing that.

Techquickie version, check out an H100i.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Wow, i'm sorry for you bro, but i'm kinda shocked that it actually happened.

It's not a H100i/H80i/CM Seidon, another AIO has problems ! How often do you see that ? 

Well...I received my Swiftech H220 from NCIX last week.

I Performed a full inspection on the exterior of the unit - all checked out okay, other then a few minor bent radiator fins.

Installed the unit into my system today, and approximately after 20 minutes of operation, white electrical smoke started to emerge from the 4-pin PWM connection that comes out from the CPU water block / pump. Powered the system down IMMEDIATELY by pressing and holding the power button on my computer. Thankfully I was standing right beside my computer. Inspected the unit and saw part of the insulation on the 4-pin PWN connector is melted, and a bit of the black plastic on the block itself (near the connector) is burnt / melted. The CPU water block / pump was quite warm to the touch.

I don't even know what to say. Quite literally less than 30 minutes of operation. I'm actually shocked that this happened.

I've installed the unit according to the instruction booklet provided with the H220 unit, AND referred to the instructional videos on Swiftech's website. Additionally, I checked the BIOS to make sure the pump was being controlled via PWM.

After clearing the smoke from my house (smell is still lingering), I began to do some research. This seems to be a common issue with the H220 - premature pump failure.

I noticed a bit of what seemed like the sound of water rushing through when I was handling the H220. I'm beginning to assume the kit was not completely filled with liquid from the factory, and there were air bubbles in the loop. As a result, the air might of gotten trapped at the pump and made it operate dry, causing this failure to occur.

I've already started an RMA with my retailer, NCIX, hopefully some-what better news will come back from them and/or Swiftech.

Was thinking Swiftech, a company known for their liquid cooling products, and the concept of an expandable liquid cooling All-In-One kit...being able to overclock my FX-8350 further than 4.8GHz, hopefully into the 5GHz zone...and stay cool during the summer temperatures...just...I don't know what to say.

A similar story could be told for nearly any device on the planet ever. They pass preliminary QC whatever that is and then after short use they fail. It happens. I get you're annoyed but that's why they ship[ with these warranties, so you can get them replaced if they do failure. Just because its Swiftech doesn't mean they are bullet proof. I am almost 100% sure the same thing would have happened for at least 1 person for every single ( and I mean every single) different AIO liquid cooler on the market. Who else has had a DOA, GPU, RAM, HDD... 

My first Synology unit powered on, started to build the raid and then that morning dead as a door-nail... Heaps of people will have similar stories to tell.

Hopefully you RMA is quick, I dont think its fair to overly criticize Swiftech though because they are known for high quality stuff, there is still a percentage of failure that occurs, just like any other manufacturer.  

A similar story could be told for nearly any device on the planet ever. They pass preliminary QC whatever that is and then after short use they fail. It happens. I get you're annoyed but that's why they ship[ with these warranties, so you can get them replaced if they do failure. Just because its Swiftech doesn't mean they are bullet proof. I am almost 100% sure the same thing would have happened for at least 1 person for every single ( and I mean every single) different AIO liquid cooler on the market. Who else has had a DOA, GPU, RAM, HDD... 

My first Synology unit powered on, started to build the raid and then that morning dead as a door-nail... Heaps of people will have similar stories to tell.

Hopefully you RMA is quick, I dont think its fair to overly criticize Swiftech though because they are known for high quality stuff, there is still a percentage of failure that occurs, just like any other manufacturer.

DOA stories are not new. The key issue is that we BOTH had the same failure on the same part. His was right away, mine took 2 months to fail. So it could have been a bad batch, as we both bought it from the same retailer around the same time. I really think Swiftech needs to look into this and issue a recall before more failures occur, and damage peoples' PC's.

At this point, I wouldn't want to risk using a replacement of the same device in my system. I'd feel the same way if it were any other brand that failed, but in this situation it's Swiftech.

DOA stories are not new. The key issue is that we BOTH had the same failure on the same part. His was right away, mine took 2 months to fail. So it could have been a bad batch, as we both bought it from the same retailer around the same time. I really think Swiftech needs to look into this and issue a recall before more failures occur, and damage peoples' PC's.

At this point, I wouldn't want to risk using a replacement of the same device in my system. I'd feel the same way if it were any other brand that failed, but in this situation it's Swiftech.

Definitely seems like an issue so you're valid in what you're saying. I was just trying to point out that lots of companies have issues with certain models...

Lucky I bought a CoolerMaster 240L with separate sata power. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate.

Stories like this one scary me to buy the H220x when its released... hopefully they have all this sorted out.

I think it was supposed to release in march, but they pushed back the release. Looks like they don't want to screw this one up.

I was going to watercool my 290, but my accelero is already efficient enough. Spending anymore money on my setup won't grant me much more performance. 

Man that sucks... My h220 pump died after 2 months of use and Bryan over at Swiftech handled it perfectly, but it's a big hassle.  

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

That was EXACTLY what happened to mine. 100% Exactly!

If it's within the 1-year warranty, it should be covered.

I'm not hearing about any similar issues with the Swiftech H220's twin brother - Cooler Master Glacer 240L.

Oh, I completely understand this stuff happens, but just seems to happen...often. Very often.

The RMA was very quick.

I dropped it off at the local UPS store late in the afternoon on the 13th of May.

The item was received by NCIX early in the morning the next day (14th).

The replacement H220 was processed and shipped back to me on the 15th of May.

It arrived at my address (but I wasn't home from work yet) on Friday the 16th.

...And since it was a long weekend this week, I finally picked it up today.

We will have to see if the second one is fine and dandy, or I'm just that lucky *fingers crossed*

If it smokes again, I'm definitely talking to NCIX in:

1. Giving me a refund,
  2. Shipping me a Cooler Master Glacer 240L immediately once any one comes in stock, or,
  3. Replacing it with a H220X, H100i...or whatever.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Hey guys, just wanted to give a shout out to NCIX for making my RMA process extremely painless and smooth -- especially to William in the RMA department at the Burnaby store!

I brought my PC in yesterday around 1pm, William greeted me and I explained the situation. He checked the system and said they had another H220 in stock for the exchange. However I advised that someone else locally had the same issue, and asked if they have received many RMA requests on this part, and he did say there were some other RMA's. So I asked if I could possibly switch to a Corsair H100i instead. He went to ask the manager, and got approval within minutes. I just had to bring in the original packaging for the H220, which I had at home. I went to grab it, dropped it off, and by 6pm he called to say the swap was successful. He said i could come pick it up right away, or he could stress test it and it would be ready tomorrow. I didnt want to risk it so I asked him to do the stress test. I got a call around noon to say the system was all fixed up and passed with flying colours. Whole RMA process took less than 12hrs, and I have my PC back!

I know some RMA stories can be nightmares, so I just wanted to share this positive outcome (despite a disappointing start with the defective product).

After reading this thread, I've decided against preordering the H220x. Thing looked great, but I feel that swiftech's stuff is a little much for me to risk. Thanks, guys.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

PUMP ON THE REPLACEMENT H220 HAS FAILED. Pump failure is also the cultprit.

I tried booting up my computer to use this afternoon, but something abnormal was happening.
The system would start up, fans would begin the ramp up. RIGHT after the BIOS splash screen the system would all of a sudden shut down. I opened up the system at inspected for loose connections, etc...but no sign of issues. I attempted to power on the system a few more times, but it won't even make it to the BIOS splash screen.

At that point, I was beginning to belive the pump had failed. Plus, there was no noise coming from the pump. I felt the mounting plate on the CPU block, and the backplate around the CPU on the motherboard - both were warm to the touch.

I let the system "cool down" for a few minutes, and attempted to power up the system again. Just to be sure I used the "Go button" on my motherboard (reset everything to defaults) to start my system up. This time I was able to make it into the BIOS.

The pump was connected to the CPU_fan header and a radiator fan was connected to CPU_opt. I swapped them around. I quickly went into the "Fan Monitoring" tab. To my surprise, CPU_opt, where my pump is connected, is showing N/A.

I immediately switched to the "Temperature Monitoring" tab, and there it was, the CPU temperature, slowly raising...35*C, 41*C, 45*C, 52*C....higher and higher. Then shutdown.

The failure wasn't as "chaotic" as the first. No white electrical smoke and the smell of melted plastic, but just as surprising.

Two Swiftech H220's in a row.
Second, placement unit, lasted a little longer, but not much more.
In the last three days, a combined total operating usage of a few hours (~3 hours), and the pump has gone.

I will be contacting NCIX about my situation, and hope I can get a refund, swap it for a Corsair H100i, Cooler Master Glacer 240L, store credit, or whatever.

I...don't know what to say...

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Hey guys, just wanted to give a shout out to NCIX for making my RMA process extremely painless and smooth -- especially to William in the RMA department at the Burnaby store!

I brought my PC in yesterday around 1pm, William greeted me and I explained the situation. He checked the system and said they had another H220 in stock for the exchange. However I advised that someone else locally had the same issue, and asked if they have received many RMA requests on this part, and he did say there were some other RMA's. So I asked if I could possibly switch to a Corsair H100i instead. He went to ask the manager, and got approval within minutes. I just had to bring in the original packaging for the H220, which I had at home. I went to grab it, dropped it off, and by 6pm he called to say the swap was successful. He said i could come pick it up right away, or he could stress test it and it would be ready tomorrow. I didnt want to risk it so I asked him to do the stress test. I got a call around noon to say the system was all fixed up and passed with flying colours. Whole RMA process took less than 12hrs, and I have my PC back!

I know some RMA stories can be nightmares, so I just wanted to share this positive outcome (despite a disappointing start with the defective product).

I live on the island, but I'm wondering if you know any contact information (customer service, management, RMA department, phone numbers, e-mails, etc) that you don't mind sharing. As you can see in my latest previous post, the pump on my replacement H220 has also failed. 

At this point, I am hoping I can get a refund, store credit, or replace the Swiftech H220 with something like a Corsair H100i, Cooler Master Glacer 240L, or whatever possible. 

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932