3 screen gaming

RaVenBelgium

Well, if price isn't an issue, 3-4 Titans will let you play even Crysis 3 at max settings at 5760x1080.

Isn't that a bit overkill?

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Isn't that a bit overkill?

Not really. The latest benchmarks I've seen shows 3x Titans on Crysis 3 with max settings @ 5760x1080 gives you an around 45fps while 4x Titans gets 55fps. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure those were the max frame rates.

Well, OP did say that he wanted all games on ultra at 5760x1080 and price wasn't an issue.

Crysis 3 like the original Crysis before it, is a good benchmark on how long your current hardware will last you. So if your hardware can run the game at full on max with higher than HD resolutions, it'll serve you a few years down the road.

Sure it may be an effective test for longevity, but most people don't play Crysis 3 and will be disappointed by the card's low frame rates in the game, not realizing that every card struggles with that game. Since frame rates typically only improve over time with any particular game, it'd be a better metric if the games he actually plays are tested.

Sure it may be an effective test for longevity, but most people don't play Crysis 3 and will be disappointed by the card's low frame rates in the game, not realizing that every card struggles with that game. Since frame rates typically only improve over time with any particular game, it'd be a better metric if the games he actually plays are tested.

I'm just providing the worst case scenario. I'm also directly replying to what he wants not what everyone else would want since each gamer has different standards. If he only plays games like BF3, which he mentioned was one of them, then 3x 7970's can do that maxed out at 5760x1080.

I'm just providing the worst case scenario. I'm also directly replying to what he wants not what everyone else would want since each gamer has different standards. If he only plays games like BF3, which he mentioned was one of them, then 3x 7970's can do that maxed out at 5760x1080.

But the worst case scenario is misleading for many people. If he wants to play Crysis 3, then it would be helpful, but if he doesn't like the majority of gamers, it won't be.

Not really. The latest benchmarks I've seen shows 3x Titans on Crysis 3 with max settings @ 5760x1080 gives you an around 45fps while 4x Titans gets 55fps. I can't remember but I'm pretty sure those were the max frame rates.

And 2 Titans?  :D

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

And 2 Titans?  :D

It's really just an optimisation fail on Crytek's part, it's almost as if they are trying to push out a game with demanding graphics yet poorly optimised just for the hell of it to stress graphics hardware.

It's really just an optimisation fail on Crytek's part, it's almost as if they are trying to push out a game with demanding graphics yet poorly optimised just for the hell of it to stress graphics hardware.

True that, Crysis is a very demanding game...

True that, Crysis is a very demanding game...

Not just that, Crysis 3 is an unjustifiably under-optimised game.

Now, besides Crysis 3, 2 Titans could handle most of the games out there with 30FPS or higher, right?

Now, besides Crysis 3, 2 Titans could handle most of the games out there with 30FPS or higher, right?

IIRC, a single Titan at 5760x1080 should be able to push most games on Ultra above 30fps, not Crysis 3 though :P

Edit: From checking some benchmarks it seems a single Titan can't push Far Cry 3 Ultra at 5760x1080 above 30FPS as well. Still commedable though.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4030/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-review-incl-5760x1080-and-frametimes

IIRC, a single Titan at 5760x1080 should be able to push most games on Ultra above 30fps, not Crysis 3 though :P

Edit: From checking some benchmarks it seems a single Titan can't push Far Cry 3 Ultra at 5760x1080 above 30FPS as well. Still commedable though.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4030/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-review-incl-5760x1080-and-frametimes

So actually, 1 Titan is recommended for playing triple monitor?

So actually, 1 Titan is recommended for playing triple monitor?

No lol, as said previously i recommend 2 x 4gb 680s in SLI or 2 7970s in crossfire (Once AMD latency issues are fixed with a in-development driver)

The 680s should be relatively cheaper once the 700 series are out, although it remains to be seen if the 700 cards are much better for with the same money you may choose to go with 770 SLI.

At the current moment though 2 7970s should give you the best graphical horsepower you need for 3 monitors, but not the best experience due to frame latency issues!

What do you mean under optimized. Every 2-way GPU scales near perfect on Crysis 3. It also properly makes use of multi-core CPU's. Far Cry 3 is a games that IS under optimized. It does not like both AMD and NVIDIA multigpu configurations.

I'd personally wait if you can. More than likely, the 600 series cards will go down in price as well.

Agreed

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

No lol, as said previously i recommend 2 x 4gb 680s in SLI or 2 7970s in crossfire (Once AMD latency issues are fixed with a in-development driver)

The 680s should be relatively cheaper once the 700 series are out, although it remains to be seen if the 700 cards are much better for with the same money you may choose to go with 770 SLI.

At the current moment though 2 7970s should give you the best graphical horsepower you need for 3 monitors, but not the best experience due to frame latency issues!

I still prefer 1 powerful single card than 2 weaker ones. Not all games like multigpu much and even if they do have support for it, not all of them have nice scaling.

Agreed

I doubt it. The 500 series didn't really start dropping in price until a few month after 600 series was out.

I still prefer 1 powerful single card than 2 weaker ones. Not all games like multigpu much and even if they do have support for it, not all of them have nice scaling.

Are you willing to game at 40fps though? The closest i can think of (And i am waiting for) is the nvidia 800 series with fused virtual ram that has enough graphical memory and horsepower to drive 3 monitors in one gpu.

We don't really have much options at the moment, and a Titan is ridiculously expensive to boot.

Find a card in your budget then look up reviews/issues ppl have with it in surround/eyefinity. might save yourself some headaches that way.

Are you willing to game at 40fps though? The closest i can think of (And i am waiting for) is the nvidia 800 series with fused virtual ram that has enough graphical memory and horsepower to drive 3 monitors in one gpu.

We don't really have much options at the moment, and a Titan is ridiculously expensive to boot.

So you are saying that 2x 680's or 2x 7970's would allow the user to play @ 5760x1080 with max settings in more games than the 2x Titans can and be at 60fps? http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4031/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-3-way4-way-sli-review-incl-5760x1080-and-frametimes

And you think NVIDIA won't release an 800 series version of the Titan? It's on their roadmap that the best chip on future architectures will go on the Titan line. The mainstream 800 series models like an 880 will be like the GK104 of 680.

So you are saying that 2x 680's or 2x 7970's would allow the user to play @ 5760x1080 with max settings in more games than the 2x Titans can and be at 60fps? http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4031/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-3-way4-way-sli-review-incl-5760x1080-and-frametimes

And you think NVIDIA won't release an 800 series version of the Titan? It's on their roadmap that the best chip on future architectures will go on the Titan line. The mainstream 800 series models like an 880 will be like the GK104 of 680.

No, i am using logic and answering his question 'So 1 titan is enough for triple monitor?' by saying that 2 x 680s or 2 x 7970s would be sufficient for triple monitor gaming for the 'average' high end consumer. Nowhere did i state that it would give him better performance over 2 Titans, i only stated that it would give him better performance for his dollar and personal needs.

Not everyone has $2000 to spend on GPUs you know. Read better.

And i never said anything about 800 Titan, i was saying that the first generation to hold a single-GPU card capable of decent triple monitor performance will be on the 800 series where they introduce unified virtual memory that shares system memory with the card's vram.

Please, i implore you, read before you post

No, i am using logic and answering his question 'So 1 titan is enough for triple monitor?' by saying that 2 x 680s or 2 x 7970s would be sufficient for triple monitor gaming for the 'average' high end consumer. Nowhere did i state that it would give him better performance over 2 Titans, i only stated that it would give him better performance for his dollar and personal needs.

Not everyone has $2000 to spend on GPUs you know. Read better.

And i never said anything about 800 Titan, i was saying that the first generation to hold a single-GPU card capable of decent triple monitor performance will be on the 800 series where they introduce unified virtual memory that shares system memory with the card's vram.

Please, i implore you, read before you post

I was not referring to your reply to one of OP's posts. I was talking about your question if I wanted to game on 40fps.

Did you also read the OP when he posted he did not care about cost when he said he wanted to play all games at max settings?

Trying to predict unreleased tech is pretty much a dead end discussion since we do not know how it will perform and/or whether a higher display standard comes out by then.

Did you also read the OP when he posted he did not care about cost when he said he wanted to play all games at max settings?

Now now, let's not derail the thread, i was answering his question of whether 1 Titan would be enough and no, it would not. I simply offered him the 2 next best alternatives. Don't you try shove information i didn't provide upon me for i do not wish to start a flame war in this forum. For a start i shall take a step back. Now, back on topic.

Raven, for your initial question of minimum specs to play at 5760x1080, SLI'd 2 x 4GBs (!) GTX 680s OR xFire'd 2 x 7970s would be sufficient for graphical power. For CPU i'd recommend a 3570k, or a 3770k if you need HyperThreading

Same here, with 1 powerful you can expand that to 2 powerful, but if you already have 2 weaker ones there is little gain from the third one...

Now now, let's not derail the thread, i was answering his question of whether 1 Titan would be enough and no, it would not. I simply offered him the 2 next best alternatives. Don't you try shove information i didn't provide upon me for i do not wish to start a flame war in this forum. For a start i shall take a step back. Now, back on topic.

Raven, for your initial question of minimum specs to play at 5760x1080, SLI'd 2 x 4GBs (!) GTX 680s OR xFire'd 2 x 7970s would be sufficient for graphical power. For CPU i'd recommend a 3570k, or a 3770k if you need HyperThreading

2x 680's and the 3770K would be my choice then, however I still have some months and I don't really know what the prices will do with the 680's or Titan or even what the 770/780 will perfom