What DPI Do You Use?

AMD Lover

No snipers here clearly, 1300 to 2400

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Damn all these like super high dpi's i would find it hard to even use the desktop with those much less play any games. My friends thought I was crazy back when I used 3200 on the desktop. Do you guys just not like moving your hand or something? Also how accurate are you because when I edit photos I drop my mouse down to 400dpi.

Damn. Allot of you guys play on High DPI. Currently playing on 450DPI on my Zowie AM.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

1000dpi on a 1440p monitor with mouse accel fix registry hack. I do a lot of Revit and Cad work and the lower dpi really helps me be more precise and have fewer mis-clicks etc. 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

variable, 3 customs, 1900, 2400, 3000 on my A4Tech, Bloody V7 UltraCore

and to be honest i really dont use 1900 that much.

most of the times i use 2400 or 3000. 2400 is, in my point of view, great  on a 1080p 23" IPS.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

normally 1200dpi

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I currently use 800 for everything. I originally used 400 at 11/11 with accel, then moved to 2000 at 6/11 with accel. From there I went to 3500 6/11 no accel. I always found myself cranking the in-game sens WAY down in first person games, so I decided to just start lowering my mouse sensitivity. I dropped down to 2000 6/11 and forced myself to get used to it. Once I got my Deathadder and I found out it tracked the best at 1800, I started using 1800. The lower I went the more comfortable I got, so I forced myself to 1200 and finally to 800.

Even though I lowered my desktop sensitivity a lot, I still play at fairly high sensitivity in games(~17cm/360)

3500 on web browsing, normal usage, etc.

1500 on ps, ae, non fps games, etc.

1000-800 on fps games

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)

2500. I palm grip my mouse and use a 1080p monitor. I have a 3500 and 4500 dpi profile saved to my mouse but never use them.

What is the purpose of not just working out the actual DPI of your screen, setting that, and then adjusting mouse sensitivity in the OS or game settings to get the speed of movement you want?

I'm a total newcomer to this and don't really get it. 

If I have a 1080p screen at 23 inches that's a DPI of about 96 - surely if I go further than this I can't gain anything in terms of accuracy and am just increasing mouse speed artificially?

Help me out here. 

What is the purpose of not just working out the actual DPI of your screen, setting that, and then adjusting mouse sensitivity in the OS or game settings to get the speed of movement you want?

You can do that (though I'm not sure why you think the DPI of your mouse should match the "DPI" of your screen), but there can be problems with doing that, depending on the implementation of sensitivity adjustment in the OS/in-game.

Take windows pointer speed for example. At 6/11, you get perfect 1:1 movement. Each count (or "dot") from your mouse will move your cursor 1 pixel. However, at 8/11 it'll move your mouse 2 pixels per count...Try it out and you'll notice it becomes physically impossible to move your cursor by 1 pixel at a time. For similar reasons, anything above 6/11 has problems. Below 6/11, 5/11 is the only setting with major problems (it'll ignore 1 of every 4 counts). 4/11 equates to 1 pixel every 2 counts, which should (I think) equate to using exactly half of your current DPI. Below that I think it just cuts it in half again each time. Basically, you want to keep your windows pointer speed at 6/11.

In-game sensitivity implementations vary, but it is possible to simply lower in-game sensitivity while raising DPI to end up with zero difference.

If I have a 1080p screen at 23 inches that's a DPI of about 96 - surely if I go further than this I can't gain anything in terms of accuracy and am just increasing mouse speed artificially?

DPI has nothing to do with accuracy, as such. It's purely mouse speed.

That said, lower DPI is technically more accurate, since it gives you more room for error. Imagine playing a game where you had to hit 1 specific pixel on your monitor. Using a mouse with 1 DPI, it'd be really easy to hit, because you have room for error of an entire inch. Using a mouse with 2 DPI, you'd have half an inch of room for error. 4 DPI would give a quarter of an inch, 8 DPI an eighth, 16 DPI a sixteenth and so on. Of course, with 1 DPI, you'd need a mousepad that was 1920 inches wide and 1080 inches high to play on a 1080p monitor, assuming you didn't pick up and "reset" the position of your mouse.

This is why I tend to tell people they should have their DPI as low as possible without it becoming impractical. 1 DPI would be great if we had really long arms and a huge amount of room to work with, but as it is we only have the space of our mouse pads, or for those of us who anchor our wrists - an even smaller range of movement.

You can do that (though I'm not sure why you think the DPI of your mouse should match the "DPI" of your screen), but there can be problems with doing that, depending on the implementation of sensitivity adjustment in the OS/in-game.

Take windows pointer speed for example. At 6/11, you get perfect 1:1 movement. Each count (or "dot") from your mouse will move your cursor 1 pixel. However, at 8/11 it'll move your mouse 2 pixels per count...Try it out and you'll notice it becomes physically impossible to move your cursor by 1 pixel at a time. For similar reasons, anything above 6/11 has problems. Below 6/11, 5/11 is the only setting with major problems (it'll ignore 1 of every 4 counts). 4/11 equates to 1 pixel every 2 counts, which should (I think) equate to using exactly half of your current DPI. Below that I think it just cuts it in half again each time. Basically, you want to keep your windows pointer speed at 6/11.

In-game sensitivity implementations vary, but it is possible to simply lower in-game sensitivity while raising DPI to end up with zero difference.

DPI has nothing to do with accuracy, as such. It's purely mouse speed.

That said, lower DPI is technically more accurate, since it gives you more room for error. Imagine playing a game where you had to hit 1 specific pixel on your monitor. Using a mouse with 1 DPI, it'd be really easy to hit, because you have room for error of an entire inch. Using a mouse with 2 DPI, you'd have half an inch of room for error. 4 DPI would give a quarter of an inch, 8 DPI an eighth, 16 DPI a sixteenth and so on. Of course, with 1 DPI, you'd need a mousepad that was 1920 inches wide and 1080 inches high to play on a 1080p monitor, assuming you didn't pick up and "reset" the position of your mouse.

This is why I tend to tell people they should have their DPI as low as possible without it becoming impractical. 1 DPI would be great if we had really long arms and a huge amount of room to work with, but as it is we only have the space of our mouse pads, or for those of us who anchor our wrists - an even smaller range of movement.

Thanks, for the explanation mate.

As I said, I'm a newcomer to PCs (have always been a console gamer and laptops guy but just made the switch), I'd obviously been conflating screen and mouse DPI and thinking there was a relationship there.

I had to buy a crap cheap keyboard and mouse combo for budget reasons when I built last month, but am looking to buy a proper mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse this month and it's a whole new area I am finding out I know nothing about! 

6400 all the time, since i dont game much and draw/sculpt with a tablet anyway :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Thanks, for the explanation mate.

As I said, I'm a newcomer to PCs (have always been a console gamer and laptops guy but just made the switch), I'd obviously been conflating screen and mouse DPI and thinking there was a relationship there.

There is a relationship, in so far as moving 1 "dot" should move your cursor 1 pixel, there's just no benefit to making your DPI match your screen's "pixel-per-inch". That'd just make it so you'd have to move your mouse the same height and width of your monitor in real life.

There is a relationship, in so far as moving 1 "dot" should move your cursor 1 pixel, there's just no benefit to making your DPI match your screen's "pixel-per-inch". That'd just make it so you'd have to move your mouse the same height and width of your monitor in real life.

Yep got it, it's come together in my mind now, thanks for the clarification.

I'm a total newcomer to this and don't really get it. 

Help me out here.

mouse dpi is not really dpi its cpi, counts per inch. The lower the count the slower the cursor moves and the higher the faster. I am saying this at 6/11 in windows and acceleration turned off. Find a dpi that your comfortable with and stick with it. For me its been 1600 for games. yo umight have to do a bit of fiddling in games that have different engines to get it to feel the same.

@Toby nice descriptions and explanations!

Have my g500 (which I want to replace) set with 5 levels

200 400 800 1600 3200

99% of the time I leave it at 800 gaming. I bump it up high when using multiple monitors (not gaming) or when using tanks in battlefield etc to spin the turret quickly. I game at 800, i tend to turn it down

I like having it even spaced, however since getting my 1440p monitor I might have to upp the sensitivity a bit, feels a bit to low compared to how it was on my 1080p screen

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

400dpi for me.  I play a lot of CS:GO :P

i use 6400 on a 1080p monitor for regular use and drop down to 3500 for gaming

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10