20mhz vs 40mhz? Router settings

Andrew0472

Hey guys,

Lately i have been really fed up with my wireless speeds and thought it was the shitty telstra modem router (costs about 35 bucks to purchase) that they supply. I thought you know what i will fiddle around with some settings. I took a test on my MBP and got 3.5mbps. I then found out my neighbours were using channels 1 and 6 (i was using 1) so i switched to 11 and now over wireless i match my pc of around 8 mbps. I'm not sure if changing channels should make this much of a difference but hey im happy. So now i'm wondering if i should use the 20/40mhz option if im the only one with 802.11n using channel 11 in my area/range. 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

That is the channel bandwidth of the router. More bandwidth => more throughput.

Your NIC shoukld support 40Mhz for 40MHhz to work. Otherwise it will fall back to 20MHz. Btw, for internet traffic 20MHz is more than enough, as the bottleneck is the ISP, not the router. If you are transferring files within your wifi network and both source and target support 40MHz channel bnadwidth, then go ahead and set it to 40Mhz.

inSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

looks at the traffic on all channels on all frequencies so you can stay away from them . It has a free to use version as well, just be careful downloading it from wherever (softtonic, techspot etc) to ensure you don't install any 'helpful' third party software.

I take it you have checked that there are no interference issues (baby monitors, DECT phones etc) that your modem has to 'burn' through.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

inSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

looks at the traffic on all channels on all frequencies so you can stay away from them . It has a free to use version as well, just be careful downloading it from wherever (softtonic, techspot etc) to ensure you don't install any 'helpful' third party software.

I take it you have checked that there are no interference issues (baby monitors, DECT phones etc) that your modem has to 'burn' through.

i used my mac to check what channels the other connections were and all 3 other channels were using either 1 or 6 so i swapped to 11 and noticed the decent increase from about 3.5 to 7.5 mbps. 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Judging by your posts (talking about other networks being close etc) I'd say changing to 40MHz channels is a bad idea. It's just too much interference.

If you want higher bandwidth then get a router that supports the 5GHz band.