New phone and why I didn't get the m8

Ryan_Stein

I got the HTC One m7 today and I couldn't be happier, after playing with my friends m8 I decided against it for the following reasons.

• the increase in specs are not worth the 100 dollar price increase I had to pay
  • It feels MUCH cheaper in comparison the the m7, feel and snappiness in sense 6 (may have just been my friends bogged down phone)
  • I enjoyed the htc one m7's speakers more the m8's are louder but also sound crackly at full volume and begin to distort Louder does not always equal better htc remember that

but I'm happy with my purchase, what do you think of your m7, m8. or what are your takes on both phones if you have neither.

post-57681-0-54029600-1398815410_thumb.j

post-57681-0-48588300-1398815411_thumb.j

"I have the perfect cure for a sore throat, cut it" - alfred hitchcock

Honestly you should have gone with the M8

Interested in Business and Technology

Honestly you should have gone with the M8

can you tell me why? I wanted discussion 

Still running my old htc droid incredible and loving it  :P

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I'm stuck here, with my Motorola RAZR HD. I know there are worse, but it was the same price as the M7 when I got it (With a two year contract) but crappier. I should have done more research before I got it though. All I did was go into the store and ask for something that won't break, and is 1080p. The thing isn't even 1080p, but it hasn't broke, sadly.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

While I was in store the M8 felt sturdier than the M7

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

can you tell me why? I wanted discussion 

Why? The M7 is a damn good phone. 

With tech it is always better to go with the newest that's available , main reason is software. If let's say there is an awesome new feature in android 4.5 , chances are the M8 will get it and the M7 won't. Thinks like this make it always more sensible to go with the newest you can. In tech New= Better 99% of the time. It's just a basic rule of thumb I and many other people stick to. Also The ONE M8 is just a better phone . Better Hardware Better Screen ( Well larger at least.) Better Battery life etc etc. Of course the One M7 is still an awesome phone but you had the choice between M8 And M7 and chose the older model. There is a big chance you are going to regret it but hey it was your own choice and besides it's a good phone nontheless.

With tech it is always better to go with the newest that's available , main reason is software. If let's say there is an awesome new feature in android 4.5 , chances are the M8 will get it and the M7 won't. Thinks like this make it always more sensible to go with the newest you can. In tech New= Better 99% of the time. It's just a basic rule of thumb I and many other people stick to. Also The ONE M8 is just a better phone . Better Hardware Better Screen ( Well larger at least.) Better Battery life etc etc. Of course the One M7 is still an awesome phone but you had the choice between M8 And M7 and chose the older model. There is a big chance you are going to regret it but hey it was your own choice and besides it's a good phone nontheless.

my htc evo 4g lte was running adroid 4.3 I promise to us that root our phones software means NOTHING. screen=too big for me, I like a pocket phone not a phablet, battery is fine for me, but yes the m8's is better, so with that said, if I had to do it again. I'd still go m7 battery isn't enough of a reason for me to switch

my htc evo 4g lte was running adroid 4.3 I promise to us that root our phones software means NOTHING. screen=too big for me, I like a pocket phone not a phablet, battery is fine for me, but yes the m8's is better, so with that said, if I had to do it again. I'd still go m7 battery isn't enough of a reason for me to switch

Well sooner or later you will realise the m8 is a better option for sure. I had this so many times wih CPU's , chosen a 2500K over 3570K and after a month i regreted etc. I promise you with tech ALWAYS go with the newest if you can . What if HTC releases a smartwatch that have certain features and will only work with the M8 Etc etc. these kind of things you really have to take into consideration . Also the M8 isn't really bigger than an M7. But hey its your choice not mine .

I really like both. I might be getting the M8 soon along with a free M8, M7, or GS4 with a Verizon promo thing. I would have gone with the M8 mostly for the 5" screen. After using my DNA with a 5" 1080, I dont wanna go any smaller, but that is personal opinion. 

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Waiting for that one thing plus to come out (don't know the name for sure) but it looks great hopefully it does great and preforms good

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Well sooner or later you will realise the m8 is a better option for sure. I had this so many times wih CPU's , chosen a 2500K over 3570K and after a month i regreted etc. I promise you with tech ALWAYS go with the newest if you can . What if HTC releases a smartwatch that have certain features and will only work with the M8 Etc etc. these kind of things you really have to take into consideration . Also the M8 isn't really bigger than an M7. But hey its your choice not mine .

you can'T "root" a cpu into a better cpu like you can a phone. that's not exactly apples to apples. it's literally not even a 10% performance increase the only up is the battery and screen size if that matters (as I've said I like the smaller screen) but I assure you seeing as people are still coding for the htc evo 4g lte xda devs will make a rom that runs with anything that I want from htc. it just wasn't worth it, I doubt I'l ever regret it.

Good for you. I'm still using my razr maxx and I honestly don't need more from a phone. Does everything a phone should do and battery that can last 2 days easily.

If I had to chose now, m7. Looks better.

But if I can choose other phone, Sony Z1 compact gets my vote. I have small hands and I really miss using my phone with 1 hand.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

10 reasons why you should have gotten the M8 instead of the M7

1- The M7 won't have be updated as long as the M8. Therefore it'll feel a lot older faster around this time next year

2- On that point, newer versions of Android that are coming might not run as smoothly on older hardware

3- The M7 is going to be updated to Sense 6 soon, so if you have a problem with it (which there's not much of a difference) then you'll have it worse on the M7

4- The battery life is significantly better on the M8, you can get two days of use out of it with light use.

5- The button placement is plain weird on the M7, while the M8 has a standard Android button setup

6- The MicroSD card on the M8 makes it a lot more flexible, where you can have a card full of music and videos

7- The M8 has a bigger screen which is great for video watching

8- $100 more is barely a drop in the bucket compared to the $2000+ you'll spend over a contract, you might as well get a phone that'll last

9- The knock to turn on is dead useful given the power button is so badly placed

10- The Duo Camera is fun to play around with

1- The M7 won't have be updated as long as the M8. Therefore it'll feel a lot older faster around this time next year

2- On that point, newer versions of Android that are coming might not run as smoothly on older hardware

3- The M7 is going to be updated to Sense 6 soon, so if you have a problem with it (which there's not much of a difference) then you'll have it worse on the M7

4- The battery life is significantly better on the M8, you can get two days of use out of it with light use.

5- The button placement is plain weird on the M7, while the M8 has a standard Android button setup

6- The MicroSD card on the M8 makes it a lot more flexible, where you can have a card full of music and videos

8- $100 more is barely a drop in the bucket compared to the $2000+ you'll spend over a contract, you might as well get a phone that'll last

9- The knock to turn on is dead useful given the power button is so badly placed

1- not gonna argue there, not that worried about that though, my evo 4g lte lasted me 2 years the m7 should last just as long

2- again my evo was running 4.3 no issue

3- I don't have a problem with sense 6, I was just noting it seemed to stutter more on the m8(m7 custom rom running sense 6)

4- again can't argue but the m7's battery is enough for me (about 20% at bedtime)

5- I'll agree but I'm already used to it

6- again agreed but the 25gb of user storage holds all my stuff as I have a second phone for media

7- as I've said I perfer the 4.7 inch screen to the 5 inch

8- It's still 100 dollars mate got a h440 with the spare cash

9- THE POWER BUTTON SUCKSSSSSS, this is one point where I wont even argue it blowssss

10- not really functional for me as I use a Nikon D5100 for serious pictures (is my families)

1- not gonna argue there, not that worried about that though, my evo 4g lte lasted me 2 years the m7 should last just as long

2- again my evo was running 4.3 no issue

3- I don't have a problem with sense 6, I was just noting it seemed to stutter more on the m8(m7 custom rom running sense 6)

4- again can't argue but the m7's battery is enough for me (about 20% at bedtime)

5- I'll agree but I'm already used to it

6- again agreed but the 25gb of user storage holds all my stuff as I have a second phone for media

7- as I've said I perfer the 4.7 inch screen to the 5 inch

8- It's still 100 dollars mate got a h440 with the spare cash

9- THE POWER BUTTON SUCKSSSSSS, this is one point where I wont even argue it blowssss

10- not really functional for me as I use a Nikon D5100 for serious pictures (is my families)

HTC One m8 has double tap to wake up you know that right , please get over it the M8 is a much superior phone to the M7 . You can also just admit that you just cheaped out.

HTC One m8 has double tap to wake up you know that right , please get over it the M8 is a much superior phone to the M7 . You can also just admit that you just cheaped out.

And what is wrong with cheaping out? As long as he is happy with his One M7, slightly better features/hardware wouldn't put his life into a crisis anyway. 

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

haha cheaped out, no, I just spent 400 dollars on a graphics card and I wanted a better case. so I could go m8 or better case and the m7, but I'm so glad you value the double tap to wake feature at 100 dollars, btw just got the sense 6 rom (I have double tap to wake now too) phones perfect FOR ME in my opinion sorry.

haha cheaped out, no, I just spent 400 dollars on a graphics card and I wanted a better case. so I could go m8 or better case and the m7, but I'm so glad you value the double tap to wake feature at 100 dollars, btw just got the sense 6 rom (I have double tap to wake now too) phones perfect FOR ME in my opinion sorry.

Ok good for you

1 - Welcome to OEMs.

2 - Wrong. As of Android 4.4, Android is entirely capable (and responsive) of running on as little as 512MB of RAM.

3 - OEM's fault. If he cares that much, he doesn't have to install. ;)

4 - Highly doubt OP will be using it lightly for the most part. Nearly everyone I know runs down their phone to <50% during school/work.

5 - Opinion.

6 - MicroSD is pretty damn slow. Would argue that it's not needed for anyone who cleans out their phone once every 6 months.

7 - .3inch gain. Not what I'd call "worth" for $100. (I used a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Hardly noticed a difference, besides resolution.)

8 - The m7 will. I know people still using the ancient DROID phones on Android 4.4.

9 - Could be better placed, sure, but he may like it.

10 - Got me there. Not able to find practical uses for it though. :(

nice crotch ^_^  

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Ok good for you

don't attack me and accuse me of being cheap, then when it blows up in your face pout. you can either admit you were wrong or just say in a civilized manner "I disagree with you" something you could of done from the beginning 

don't attack me and accuse me of being cheap, then when it blows up in your face pout. you can either admit you were wrong or just say in a civilized manner "I disagree with you" something you could of done from the beginning 

First of all i didn't attack you , i'm discussing and debating with you. Second i didn't accuse you of being cheap i sayd you cheaped out , learn english please. Third the M8 is a better phone you failed at choosing the better option , it may be a little harsh but i did not attack you , if you feel attacked/offended it's your fault not mine.