How to stop hard drive vibration noise?

Akolyte

I've recently built a pc and was using my Seagate barracuda 2TB.  However, I had buzzing sounds coming from my pc and I pushed on certain parts of the case to stop it.  Now that the Seagate drive is gone my pc has no more loud vibrating noise.  I'm wondering if anyone knows how to dampen hard drive vibration. Because I want silence but also space, all I have otherwise is a 120GB SSD.  I also am using just the stock Corsair 350D drive cages.  Thanks in advanced. Hope I can fix this. 

I've recently built a pc and was using my Seagate barracuda 2TB.  However, I had buzzing sounds coming from my pc and I pushed on certain parts of the case to stop it.  Now that the Seagate drive is gone my pc has no more loud vibrating noise.  I'm wondering if anyone knows how to dampen hard drive vibration. Because I want silence but also space, all I have otherwise is a 120GB SSD.  I also am using just the stock Corsair 350D drive cages.  Thanks in advanced. Hope I can fix this. 

by using rubber cladding beneath the hdd...also u can put rubber between the hdd cage and the frame in which it goes inside the case...it will reduce vibration in some amount... :)  

Suspend the hdd whether it be with rubber grommets, using elastic bands, or foam/etc. 

18s3slpzyso69png.png5f8ddaf6a82c85152cb3341a77676abe.png

Just make sure your drives stay cool.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you both, @WoodenMarker @Cubit481 My HDD cage is removable, how about if I remove it then put rubber rings on the bottom of it and screw it on again? 

Thank you both, @WoodenMarker @Cubit481 My HDD cage is removable, how about if I remove it then put rubber rings on the bottom of it and screw it on again? 

Bottom of the cage?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just make sure when you screw it in that it's not really tight as it will reduce the impact the rubber rings/grommets have on vibration dampening.

Bottom of the cage?

yeah, though I might just have to survive with an SSD only rig.  Might save up for a 250GB SSD as a second one.  Because, I'm really really sensitive to noise.  I only play Planetside 2 and Minecraft, is 120GB enough for that and my applications? 

yeah, though I might just have to survive with an SSD only rig.  Might save up for a 250GB SSD as a second one.  Because, I'm really really sensitive to noise.  I only play Planetside 2 and Minecraft, is 120GB enough for that and my applications? 

120GB should be enough but you might not have to sacrifice storage. As long as you can suspend the drive from a direct mount to the case, you should be fine. String can also work. 

120GB should be enough but you might not have to sacrifice storage. As long as you can suspend the drive from a direct mount to the case, you should be fine. String can also work. 

I'm scared to do that, my hands and fingers are super fat.  I had to go through massive amounts of pain to plug in the 4 pin cpu plug and had to remove the exhaust fan to fit my hand to the motherboard.  

ya u can do that...bottom and see if u can get a long thin piece of rubber and u can put it on the sides of the cage... :)

from my experience canceling the vibration prolonged the life of an HDD as well... and i got good experience having them in vertical arrangements.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

if you have old unusable optical drive(s) break em apart andas you near towards the centre , you can find rubber grommets that keep the optical drive stable usually there are four . you can use these .

looks kinda like this but color may vary according to where they were assembled,

V12R30M25412732_iso.jpg

these are really good at holding the hdd in place (depending on your case) and they absorb other shocks as well and may help extend hdd's life , i had to jam like 8 on my case, to muffle the sound entirely Seriously no freaking sound! not even spin up vibrations, other recommendation would be to put some soft rubber mounts on case holders(legs)

helper ninja activated :ph34r:

Details separate people.