8gb isnt enough anymore

crysis 3 wants 8gb, metro last night wants 8gb
i like having alot of programs on, so i think 8gb isnt enough for me
what you guys think? is 8gb enough for you?
im going to get a 2x8gb kit soon

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

On avarage I have 3 or 4 programs opened and never get close to using 8gb of ram. So 8gb I enough for me.

And crysis 3 uses nowhere near 8gb. 

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

I usually have chrome, skype, and itunes open 24/7 and while playing bf3 on ultra i only get to about 4gb so 8 is plenty for me

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Crysis 3 high performance PC requirements Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 Latest DirectX 11 graphics card Latest quad core CPU 8GB Memory

Example 1 (Nvidia/Intel): NVidia GTX 680 Intel Core i7-2600k

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

It recommends 8GB installed, not because it will use all of it, but because with everything else you are running it will approach that limit.

The game itself does not use 8GB, the only games in the world that do are heavily modded Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. And that would be with over 200 mods...

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Crysis 3 high performance PC requirements Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 Latest DirectX 11 graphics card Latest quad core CPU 8GB Memory

Example 1 (Nvidia/Intel): NVidia GTX 680 Intel Core i7-2600k

Just because it says it needs 8GB doesn't mean it uses 8GB. it probable takes into account that you are going to have a few background programs up. Like Skype. The Most I have ever used was 5GB yesterday. Had WOW up, like 8 Tabs on Google Crome, Skype, and another game open it it was sitting around 5Gbs but if you are using a lot of programs you might need more like 16Gbs

I'm running dual monitor ,so winamp ,google chrome,afterburner etc on second screen while gaming, the only game that came near my 8gb limit was bf3 at 5,74gb (after a cple of hours)

Most games these days still cling on a 2gb memory limit (even with laa flag enabled)

Well metro 2033 listed 8gb as well in the system requirements but it didn't use that much ram really, Crysis 3 i only played the beta so no idea on how much ram it really uses.

Ummm i have 3 gigs and i run farcry 3 fine......  On highest settings too!

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

8gb is enough for me... 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

If I ever need more I'll buy more. It's just that simple :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

the only games in the world that do are heavily modded Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. And that would be with over 200 mods...

Not really. I have over 200 mods on my Skyrim and the total memory used was about 5GB including all other programs that I have running. It's the graphics card's VRAM that is used up by the mods.

Just because it says it needs 8GB doesn't mean it uses 8GB. it probable takes into account that you are going to have a few background programs up. Like Skype. The Most I have ever used was 5GB yesterday. Had WOW up, like 8 Tabs on Google Crome, Skype, and another game open it it was sitting around 5Gbs but if you are using a lot of programs you might need more like 16Gbs

^Pretty much this.

oh well, looks like i wont be getting that 16gb kit

8GB is the standard amount for gaming because a majority of computers use Dual Channel memory so it will always be divisible by 2 (2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB etc) and since 4GB will most likely be not enough, then next amount is 8GB. It's a worse case scenario anyway. I have yet to see a game that pushes memory usage beyond 7GB with a reasonable amount of programs running in the background.

I usually have chrome, skype, and itunes open 24/7 and while playing bf3 on ultra i only get to about 4gb so 8 is plenty for me

I also have Chrome, Skype, and BF3 on Ultra and get between 4GB-6GB of RAM usage. Over eight gigabytes will be necessary soon within a couple years, but it all depends on what you have open and what game you're playing. If you're doing video editing get more RAM, if you game on medium graphics while web browsing and listening to music 8GB should be fine.

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

I also have Chrome, Skype, and BF3 on Ultra and get between 4GB-6GB of RAM usage. Over eight gigabytes will be necessary soon within a couple years, but it all depends on what you have open and what game you're playing. If you're doing video editing get more RAM, if you game on medium graphics while web browsing and listening to music 8GB should be fine.

A game's graphical quality setting will not affect the system RAM. Those get loaded onto the graphics card's VRAM. The only thing games load on the system RAM are the essential files the game needs to run like their code.

Not really. I have over 200 mods on my Skyrim and the total memory used was about 5GB including all other programs that I have running. It's the graphics card's VRAM that is used up by the mods.

^Pretty much this.

Depends on the mods naturally. Nothing fills up RAM like a large amount of object references in the vicinity.

You also need to have your Skyrim be large adress aware, or it will just purge the memory in the background all the time.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

oh well, looks like i wont be getting that 16gb kit

If its cheap go for it, it wont hurt your pc

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

Depends on the mods naturally. Nothing fills up RAM like a large amount of object references in the vicinity.

You also need to have your Skyrim be large adress aware, or it will just purge the memory in the background all the time.

I've completely changed the game's textures to 4K as well various tweaks to the engine. I also set each of my games to have the highest priority for CPU usage and LAA.

I started running out a lot recently with MANY Chrome tabs and programs, just opening up Photoshop or a Game resulted in a "Your system is running out of memory" message. I found some 2 old 2GB sticks (1333) a few days ago and put them in along with my vengeance for now for a total of 12gb. This seems to have solved the issue but I'll just get another 8GB Vengeance kit soon... 

As far as I know most games are still 32-bit applications.  It is literally impossible for them to use more than 4GB of RAM by themselves.  If you max out 8GB it's because of your background applications.  Even while gaming with a lot of stuff open the most I've ever hit is 7GB and that was with a memory leak from NVIDIA control panel that nearly 3GB by itself.

Games stress mainly the GPU which has its own dedicated RAM, system RAM typically only sees light usage in games.  8GB will be plenty at least for the next 2-3 years at the least, in my estimation.

Will depend on how much Rome 2 takes up..

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Well, the more RAM you have, the more RAM programs use...

I have 6GB and i.e LoL uses 800MB + 400MB for launcher.

My friend has 8GB and for him it uses 1,2GB + 400MB (Guessing the Launcher isn't bigger than 400MB)

But yeah, lately RAM's been running out fast. Last time I had had my computer on for longer than 10h, I only had about 100MB of free memory left. Next year I'ma be going for 64GB (Yeah, that much might be overkill. But overkill is what I'm going for so... + RAM is cheap as hell.)

About a year ago I added upgraded from 4 to 8, since while running Skyrim my PC used up 4GB and the game got extremely stuttery unless I used the pcb command every few minutes. I've never been close to filling 8GB though...