Safe and easy ways of cleaning your computer without compressed air?

techswede

Hello LTT forum.

I've been using compressed air to clean out my case easily since i bought it.

But then my 5,5hp compressor (and 2000$ welder) were stolen from my storage....

So now i need an alternative. (canned compressed air is out of the question.. It's not readily available in most stores. And i live in the countryside)

Any suggestions? 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Do you have a shop vac? If you do clean it out and hook the hose up to the outtake of it.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

You can take out the heatsinks and clean them with a brush. But especially with the PCBs and the small heatsinks, it's best compared to slave labour.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

If push comes to shove you can actually just brush it out or use a microfiber cloth. Otherwise you can use a hand fan or something of the sort.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

You can talk out the heatsink and manually dust it out.

Im not brian blessed... It would be difficult to talk the dust out of it^^ 

jk. I know what you mean ;)

Since it's more than just the heatsink that's dusty i'll have to take the whole damn system apart..

I was hoping to see if there were any more convenient solutions

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

jk. I know what you mean ;)

Since it's more than just the heatsink that's dusty i'll have to take the whole damn system apart..

I was hoping to see if there were any more convenient solutions

order compressed air online for shipping? :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Not really, you just have to yell really loud.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

Do you have a shop vac? If you do clean it out and hook the hose up to the outtake of it.

I only have a roomba... And much like my previous gf it just sucks

You can take out the heatsinks and clean them with a brush. But especially with the PCBs and the small heatsinks, it's best compared to slave labour.

I don't have any brushes that i can use. Might have to go get one in that case... Damn you Daenerys Targaryen.. I could've used those slaves...

If push comes to shove you can actually just brush it out or use a microfiber cloth. Otherwise you can use a hand fan or something of the sort.

That's the worst case scenario yes. But i have some microfiber cloths laying around. I don't have any hand fans 

order compressed air online for shipping? :P

Feels like a waste of money.. Paying for air xD

Feels like a waste of money.. Paying for air xD

just blow into it REALLY hard :) the heatsink wont take any dmg from some spit :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Maybe a badass hair dryer that has a cold air option if you have one.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

Maybe a badass hair dryer that has a cold air option if you have one.

I was raised to be a manly man. I own a pack of razors and some shower gel... That's it

try using a Spray Duster like Linus did in one of his videos,

just make sure you hold it in an upright position so you dont shoot out any of the fluid inside.

So now i need an alternative. (canned compressed air is out of the question.. It's not readily available in most stores. And i live in the countryside)

Any suggestions? 

Take a bike pump and put one of the small plastic straws from aerosol cans (like WD40 or something) on the pump

this way the pump's air will be compressed through the small straw making the same effect as a compressed air can

then with one hand pump the bike pump while you hold the tube in the other hand to dust

you can also use another person to pump, like child labour if youve got any :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Take a bike pump and put one of the small plastic straws from aerosol cans (like WD40 or something) on the pump

this way the pump's air will be compressed through the small straw making the same effect as a compressed air can

then with one hand pump the bike pump while you hold the tube in the other hand to dust

you can also use another person to pump, like child labour if youve got any :P

The more replies this thread gets... I realize more and more that i don't have many things that might be obvious to others...  :huh:

The more replies this thread gets... I realize more and more that i don't have many things that might be obvious to others...  :huh:

you had a compressor but you dont have a bike pump?

well i have a bike pump and no compressor :(

you can try blowing through a regular straw to force dust out of your heatsink

vacuums work good too if ya got one of those...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you had a compressor but you dont have a bike pump?

well i have a bike pump and no compressor :(

You don't need a bike pump when you have a compressor  :P

Hang on.. I have a plan..

use a little flat paint brush, sweep the dust out. do it outside or have your shop vac ready to attack the bunnies

Just remembered that my neighbour owed me a favour after i fixed his car  :D

20140428_205226_zpsc7d51a6c.jpg

HA! GAYYYY! (just kidding guys)

Blow it

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Alright. It's clean.

Went with the hairdryer and a microfiber cloth. 

Thanks for the input guys 

I use a paint brush with soft bristles to dust my PC parts like the PSU, MOBO and GPU and a sheet of bounty that has been wet and then wrung out to almost dry condition to clean the fan blades and in side the case and outside.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Oh sorry I tought you meant something else. Yeah I have never seen one of these cans in a store here either so I'd just order them online.

Glad to hear the hair dryer solution worked tough, i might just try that out as well if theres nothing to be concerened about regarding static electricity.