Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition YAY or NAY

SKOONJar

I have had my eye on this game for quite some time and I know its older and the sequel just came out but it seems fun and looks to have a interesting story line to it. Now I have heard the bad things about it such as how hard it is and the bad controls from the pc port. However from what I have heard using a controller and having patience is a fix for that. But what has been your experience I want to hear from people who have played and preferably have beaten it but if not what is your opinion if you have given up on it. Thanks in advance!

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

NAY

Read the topic and give me your reasoning

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Now I have heard the bad things about it such as how hard it is and the bad controls from the pc port. However from what I have heard using a controller and having patience is a fix for that. But what has been your experience I want to hear from people who have played and preferably have beaten it but if not what is your opinion if you have given up on it. Thanks in advance!

Nay. This game isn't for you. It being hard can't be a negative or you won't enjoy it. It's as simple as that. 

Use a gamepad and the bad controls magically go away. 

I love the game. A lot. I've never beaten it. I need to. But I have spent over 200-300+ hours playing it. I played Demon Souls (the original) even more than that and beat it multiple times. 

The game is great. The atmosphere is very well done. The story is interesting and if you dig, the backstory is great (the feels are strong in this one). By "dig" I mean take the time to read all the descriptions a lot of the backstory is usually there. 

But I stand by my first sentence. If you can't enjoy challenge, you won't enjoy this game. If you get easily irritated (even with patience), you will not enjoy this game.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i played the first one

it was an AWESOME GAME

but i used cheats because it was impossible to finish the first level

(played on ps3)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

NAY. Unless you've really got the patience of an angel and you're prepaired to fix the game yourself.

Other than that it's an awesome game. Going to pick up dark souls 2 for pc soon. 

I ran around my apartment going "YEEEEEEEEAHHH!" when i beat it the first time :)

ps.. I don't own a gamepad. played with mouse and keyboard

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

ps.. I don't own a gamepad. played with mouse and keyboard

Have mercy on your poor soul D: [Pun unintended]

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm playing now and it is quite hard. I'm using a xbox controller to play but I did mod the game to up the graphics and other stuff. I can only play this game for short amounts of time before I get to a state of complete anger. I guess if it get cheap buy it but I bought it when it was 5 USD during the winter sale.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Have mercy on your poor soul D: [Pun unintended]

My soul was lost before i even got to blighttown. And when i had finished the game..

darksouls-spot1_zpsd023c285.jpg

muhahahaha.. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The game is about patience, running into it guns (r swords) blazing never works. You may have to die 10 times to work out how the boss works, then you'll beat it loosing only a tiny bit of health because you studied it well when you died.  As for should you buy it. No. To make it playable you have to mod the shit out of it AND demon souls was a better game IMO. TBH, there's not much point in getting it unless your a die-hard fan, which seeing as you haven't picked it up yet, doesn't seem like you are. DS2 is probably the best one to pick up, unless you have a PS3 for demon souls because as far as I'm aware, that's all it's on.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

How is dark souls 2 on pc btw? I don't really want a repeat of ds1's issues. And keyboard support is a must. 

How is dark souls 2 on pc btw? I don't really want a repeat of ds1's issues. And keyboard support is a must. 

From what I read and watch the pc port is actually pretty good (some claim of crashes for some people but those where in the minority of the complain I saw). As for the keyboard support, it does have rebindable keys but the wasd is still not optimal for the game because it was designed for controller movement. TB also said that the game may have some sort of mouse acceleration but he wasn't sure and I cannot confirm it. But like any souls games, it is designed for controllers making translating it to keyboard less than optimal unfortunately for those that cannot play otherwise. Sorry.

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

From what I read and watch the pc port is actually pretty good (some claim of crashes for some people but those where in the minority of the complain I saw). As for the keyboard support, it does have rebindable keys but the wasd is still not optimal for the game because it was designed for controller movement. TB also said that the game may have some sort of mouse acceleration but he wasn't sure and I cannot confirm it. But like any souls games, it is designed for controllers making translating it to keyboard less than optimal unfortunately for those that cannot play otherwise. Sorry.

If they are better than in darksouls 1 (which i managed to beat with keyboard and mouse) i will be happy :)

If they are better than in darksouls 1 (which i managed to beat with keyboard and mouse) i will be happy :)

they are supposed to be due to the fact that you can rebind any action to whatever you would like. Also I believe they have mods out there already for the game that improve the keyboard controls. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

I've not played the second one yet, but I did play the first one for a while with an Xbox 360 controller. I thought it was really fun, but then I lost all my games and I haven't been bothered to re-download it since. 

They are. 

I just started playing DS2 and after trying to play DS1 with a keyboard/mouse then switching to gamepad, I can say they are much better. I feel like I can actually do it now. 

The problem is that they don't tell you what is what to begin with. So you have to actually get into the game (since you can't configure your binds at the main menu for some terrible reason), then press escape and use your mouse to select each thing to configure it. 

They allow a lot of combinations which I like. i.e. Shift + [Key], Ctrl + [Key], are all valid binds by default. You can use your mouse to control the camera (for the love of God turn down the sensitivity) so that's a major improvement.

I am wary of using mods. Apparently some have been getting people VAC banned. Which is a more or less permanent thing.

† Christian Member †

They are. 

I just started playing DS2 and after trying to play DS1 with a keyboard/mouse then switching to gamepad, I can say they are much better. I feel like I can actually do it now. 

The problem is that they don't tell you what is what to begin with. So you have to actually get into the game (since you can't configure your binds at the main menu for some terrible reason), then press escape and use your mouse to select each thing to configure it. 

They allow a lot of combinations which I like. i.e. Shift + [Key], Ctrl + [Key], are all valid binds by default. You can use your mouse to control the camera (for the love of God turn down the sensitivity) so that's a major improvement.

I am wary of using mods. Apparently some have been getting people VAC banned. Which is a more or less permanent thing.

I'll see how the controls are when i manage to get my hands on the game^^ Might even get a pc compatible controller.

And as for the rest of the ds2 players. I heard i could invade as a hollow now.. I might just see you around

I have plenty of patience I always go through and beat games on the most difficult levels. I do have a controller. Despite what I am being told here I think I'm going to buy it. I need a good time sink.

I have plenty of patience I always go through and beat games on the most difficult levels. I do have a controller. Despite what I am being told here I think I'm going to buy it. I need a good time sink.

... Then I don't understand why you listed the difficulty as a negative. 

That's the reason I suggested against it. If you just do that anyway and enjoy your games as they are, then sure, Dark Souls would be a great game for you. 

I suggest trying it with mouse + keyboard first (configure the keybinds before even trying to play). You can use the mouse to do a lot (attack, manipulate the camera, use items, swap items/equipment, and change lock ons) which leaves you plenty of room to move around with the keyboard. I think the way I personally set it up is fairly balanced, but that's up to you. 

Good luck. Don't die. :P

† Christian Member †

... Then I don't understand why you listed the difficulty as a negative. 

That's the reason I suggested against it. If you just do that anyway and enjoy your games as they are, then sure, Dark Souls would be a great game for you. 

I suggest trying it with mouse + keyboard first (configure the keybinds before even trying to play). You can use the mouse to do a lot (attack, manipulate the camera, use items, swap items/equipment, and change lock ons) which leaves you plenty of room to move around with the keyboard. I think the way I personally set it up is fairly balanced, but that's up to you. 

Good luck. Don't die. :P

The reason I listed difficulty as a negative is because I had just gotten done reading reviews listing difficulty as a negative. Thanks for all the advice and opinions guys!

I have had my eye on this game for quite some time and I know its older and the sequel just came out but it seems fun and looks to have a interesting story line to it. Now I have heard the bad things about it such as how hard it is and the bad controls from the pc port. However from what I have heard using a controller and having patience is a fix for that. But what has been your experience I want to hear from people who have played and preferably have beaten it but if not what is your opinion if you have given up on it. Thanks in advance!

I just started playing Dark Souls Prepare to die edition and personally I think it was worth it. The only problem is you NEED and xbox controller and the port is so bad your gonna have to install some mods.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1115172-recommended-mods-for-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-pc-edition/

there are 4 mods that will make the game playable.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

I just started playing Dark Souls Prepare to die edition and personally I think it was worth it. The only problem is you NEED and xbox controller and the port is so bad your gonna have to install some mods.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1115172-recommended-mods-for-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-pc-edition/

there are 4 mods that will make the game playable.

+1 to this. 

The FPS is kinda terrible stock especially in Blight Town. 

The controls are bunk unless you get a controller. 

The textures are terri-bad at low res.

The other mods (Quelaag nipples and blocky text fix) to me, are cool but unnecessary. The 3 up there are things I feel are huge quality of life improvements. 

† Christian Member †

YAY. after installing the Dsfix mod everything was awesome.  my favourite game of all times. sadly less and less people showed up online and now I'm playing the second part. the PtDE is a must have. the DLC bosses and story are awesome and the game is awesome. I'm not a DS fanboy (;D). normaly I play games like metal gear solid and assassins creed and minesweeper but this blew me away.

post-54985-0-18129700-1398785985_thumb.j

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

+1 to this. 

The FPS is kinda terrible stock especially in Blight Town. 

The controls are bunk unless you get a controller. 

The textures are terri-bad at low res.

The other mods (Quelaag nipples and blocky text fix) to me, are cool but unnecessary. The 3 up there are things I feel are huge quality of life improvements. 

I was actually able to make the textures look a little better. In one of the mods I listed there(dsfix) you can choose to run the textures in 4k and then the game downscales everything back down to 2k making the textures look WAY better, but it is a lot more taxing on the GPU side.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"