AnotherTechGuy

when you use it for work...? :P

Main: AMD Athlon X4 750K| Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO | Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 | 8GB Kingston 1333mhz | WD Caviar Green 1tb | Coolermaster N200 | OCZ coreXstream 500w | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB | |Kingston 3k ssd 128gb |

I'd say using a pc's compute power for professional content creation makes this pc a workstation

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

when you use it for work...? :P

uhhhh this.

Corsair C70 Black Windowed | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 1866Mhz | SLI GTX 780 Classified | Corsair AX860 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green

Corsair 350D Windowed | Asus Gryphon Z87 | i5 4670k | Corsair H75 | Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB 1600Mhz | Corsair RM550 | Samsung EVO 250GB SSD | 4TB WD Green.

Bitfenix Phenom ITX White | Asus Z97i-Plus | Pentium G3258 | Noctua NH-L9i | Kingston HyperX Fury White 2x4GB 1866Mhz | Silverstone Strider 550 | Crucial M.2 120GB SSD | 4x5TB WD Red. (work in progress)

Workstation:

workstation
ˈwəːksteɪʃ(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.
    a desktop computer terminal, typically networked and more powerful than a personal computer.   

its essentially a computer you do work on :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation

Let me rephrase that.

When does a computer become "workstation grade"

when you get components powerful enough to professionally edit videos, photos and music.  For example a Mac pro is a workstation because its powerful enough to do professional work, sure you can game on it too but its targeted for work.  

For an example your computer could possibly be considered a workstation if used for professional work, since it has the power to edit music, videos and photos. 

Let me rephrase that.

When does a computer become "workstation grade"

when the components meet the requirements for stability and speed.  Nothing more.

There is no actual defined spec on hardware that makes it a "workstation" grade or "domestic" grade part outside of sales marketing.  If a component is reliable enough and fast enough for a given workstation, then it is a workstation.  E.G the new HP t410 thin clients are "workstations" however they are powered with mobile processors (TI arm processor if I remember right).  They have practically zero processing power and require a blade server to operate most software beyond the os.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A computer becomes workstation grade when it is designed to do a specific task with high reliability.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

if i have a gaming pc with components meant for gaming yet i would use it for only video editing and stuff like that and not game on it would it be considered a workstation? 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

if i have a gaming pc with components meant for gaming yet i would use it for only video editing and stuff like that and not game on it would it be considered a workstation? 

does it mater ?

does it mater ?

im just curious

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

im just curious

iguess a workstation is what everyone else say it is. when you do professional grade work on it?

iguess a workstation is what everyone else say it is. when you do professional grade work on it?

ya i guess.

Specs of my PC:

ya i guess.

on that note not every company use a tesla firepro or whatever those cad cards are named. pretty sure someone once told me ferrari uses the titan for 3d modeling ?, dont quote me on that tho. but you don't need work grade hardware to call a gaming pc a workstation :P

on that note not every company use a tesla firepro or whatever those cad cards are named. pretty sure someone once told me ferrari uses the titan for 3d modeling ?, dont quote me on that tho. but you don't need work grade hardware to call a gaming pc a workstation :P

oh ok. good to know :) but then again a titan isnt meant for gaming in the first place, right? 

Specs of my PC:

If one work as a gamer, does that means the gaming PC is a workstation PC?

K6CW4Je.gif

oh ok. good to know :) but then again a titan isnt meant for gaming in the first place, right? 

i guess not really but it still is awesome!!

If one work as a gamer, does that means the gaming PC is a workstation PC?

K6CW4Je.gif

AAA TO MUCH FOR MY BRAIN!

Specs of my PC:

i guess not really but it still is awesome!!

yea haha

Specs of my PC:

That definition makes me think you need server grade hardware for it to be called a workstation.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Well it is very vague and up to you to designate the difference, and I've seen plenty of consumer grade parts in supposed workstations (yes they are sold as workstations).

In the real world, it doesn't matter what's inside only what in your world you want it to be. Some people draw a solid line to distinguish it but there is no such solid definition in the world.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

A simple question.

At what point do you personally consider a PC a workstation?

I consider a 'workstation' something for professional use, so probably something with Xeons, Quattros/FirePros, and other professional specs. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think.

Something with i-series CPUs, and Radeon/GTX GPUs are for consumers, not professionals.