Moto G Review!

This is the best phone I have had in 2 years, for $100, it HANDS DOWN the best money I have spent on a phone. The Moto G, the cheaper version of the well known Moto X. A stellar phone that I am getting great service from Boost Mobile. Some have said the phone feels cheap and flimsy, and has a terrible scree, well I completely disagree. So let's get into the review

This phone is great, at an aggressive $100 price point from Boost Mobile Is irresistible. I honestly would get this phone over the Galaxy S3 any day. Say what you want but this phone is amazing, Motorola really has me sold on their phones as of now. It's also affordable to the average Joe who DOESN'T have $750 to get the latest and greatest without a contract. This phone is for the average user, the perfect fit. I can't say enough about how good this phone really is, it's just simple OUTSTANDING. Let's get into the pros and cons of each feature the phone sports. 

1. The first thing people see, the design. Now most people wont like how the phone is looking at it, but holding it, it is the most comfortable phone I have held in a long time. It has a Rubberized back that just feels nice to hold in the hand, and the little dimple in it with the M cleverly placed within, is a great little feature they added. Holding the phone ones pointer finger finger tip fits perfectly in that dimple so you can hold the phone nicely and keep a good grip on it. Now the side curve, your wrist has a curve in it where your thumb muscle is, the bottom of this phone sits in there perfectly for me. But there are cons, my personal preference to the edges of the phone is to have it rounded, so it doesn't cut into your hand. The Moto G has a rather sharp side curve making it uncomfortable to hold for more than 30 minutes of continuous use. All I have to say about that. One awesome feature is that the pack plate is replaceable with more colors than just black, giving you more of a custom phone like the Moto X.

Some will never like the clever design of the phone and say it's too minimalistic with only a lock and unlock button next to the volume rocker, I have gotten these confused before while getting used to the phone. Now let's get into the part that you stare at, the screen.

2. The "monitor" of the phone, packing a screen resolution of 720x1280 higher than that of the iPhone 5 with a "retina" display. Although the the screen is 4.5" big on the Moto G, compared to my GirlFriends iPhone 5, I say it looks sharper. This display is an IPS panel, so it has amazing viewing angles, something that is important on a phone, not everyone looks at them straight on and having this allows users to play games at odd angles. Looking at this screen for over an hour may give you a headache well, because you shouldn't be doing that. Go outside or something. I almost forgot, on the screen is Corning Gorilla Glass, and that stuff is TOUGH.

I love the display, it's beautiful, but there has to be something that powers all of that, some Quad-Core computing hardware. 

3. The CPU, or the brain of the phone. A Qualcomm Snapdragon 400, a beast of a mobile processor. It packs 4 cores at 1.2Ghz, so far everything I have thrown at it, it handles it nicely without any lag what-so-ever. Along with that CPU has to be a GPU to power the scree, an Adreno 305 GPU. This little thing packs a furious punch. I ran multiple benchmarks and got outstanding results, but we will get more into that later. This phone feels pretty snappy, with only 1GB of RAM, I can still throw all of my programs at it and it doesn't run out of processing ram.

The CPU and GPU Google(Motorola) that they have thrown in there is an amazing pair and work flawlessly together. Now to the thing that powers it all.

4. The Battery. The thing most people don't exactly care about in a phone, they just want amazing features and amazing battery life. Well, you need to make sure it has a good battery first. The Moto G packs an unremoveable 2070 Miliamp-hour battery. I wanted to do a test on how long I could take the battery, without using the battery saving options. So I put the screen at a brightness that I really like it at, and used it all day, and all night. Doing gaming, watching videos, streaming on Netflix while in the car going to Vegas. I got an amazing 8.23 hours of battery out of this thing, keeping in mind I used it from 100% to 0%, and playing and doing some power hungry tasks. I am very impressed, I have snapchatted my friends all day, and I unplugged my phone when it has at 100% off the charger, as of now it is at 74%, that is 14 hours of almost continuous use, but when I wasn't using it I stopped the processes and locked it.

I am very impressed with the battery in this thing, but one con is that it didn't come with a USB charger, just a cable attached to the wall plug. Now the most anticipated part (for me at least)

As part of my review I wanted to do some stress tests and bench marks, so I went ahead and downloaded 3DMARK for Android OS. After downloading the Ice Storm pack within the app, I ran Ice Storm, there were 2 other options. It did the mark at 720p, using intensive graphics. I ran this test bench a total of 2 times. Getting the following scores and under certain conditions.

Running Android version 4.4.2, I got the following scores after being on all day.

1. Overall Score: 5679
  2. Graphics Score: 5324
  3. Physics Score: 7409
  4. Graphics Test 1: 25.4 FPS Average
  5. Graphics Test 2: 21.1 FPS Average
  6. Physics Test: 23.5 FPS Average

This got pretty good test Scores, so I thought I would restart the phone, and re run the test, getting the following scores. The phone was off for 40 minutes.

1. Overall Score: 5648
  2. Graphics Score: 5275
  3. Physics Score: 7503
  4. Graphics Test 1: 25.3 FPS Average
  5. Graphics Test 2: 21 FPS Average
  6. Physics Test: 23.8 FPS Average

This about sums up my review of the Moto G, if there is anything I may have forgotten or you want me to emphasize on, feel free to comment that suggestions and I will get around do going so as soon as I can. Thank you for taking your time to read through my review of the Moto G.

moto-g.jpg

AS requested by @[member=klngpln

20140425 214808

i cant get over the fact that there are no pics to confirm that u actually have the phone and not making this up

EVGA GAMING INSIDE

i cant get over the fact that there are no pics to confirm that u actually have the phone and not making this up

I guess I can add a picture of me having the phone?

I have a pretty hard time believing those battery statistics, but otherwise great review!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have a pretty hard time believing those battery statistics, but otherwise great review!

I did my best to describe how the battery is, but it's kind of difficult, I guess I can say it has average batterylife for a smartphone.

I did my best to describe how the battery is, but it's kind of difficult, I guess I can say it has average batterylife for a smartphone.

The best measurement is screen on time.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I guess I can add a picture of me having the phone?

yup :)

EVGA GAMING INSIDE

This is the best phone I have had in 2 years, for $100, it HANDS DOWN the best money I have spent on a phone. The Moto G, the cheaper version of the well known Moto X. A stellar phone that I am getting great service from Boost Mobile. Some have said the phone feels cheap and flimsy, and has a terrible scree, well I completely disagree. So let's get into the review

This phone is great, at an aggressive $100 price point from Boost Mobile Is irresistible. I honestly would get this phone over the Galaxy S3 any day. Say what you want but this phone is amazing, Motorola really has me sold on their phones as of now. It's also affordable to the average Joe who DOESN'T have $750 to get the latest and greatest without a contract. This phone is for the average user, the perfect fit. I can't say enough about how good this phone really is, it's just simple OUTSTANDING. Let's get into the pros and cons of each feature the phone sports. 

1. The first thing people see, the design. Now most people wont like how the phone is looking at it, but holding it, it is the most comfortable phone I have held in a long time. It has a Rubberized back that just feels nice to hold in the hand, and the little dimple in it with the M cleverly placed within, is a great little feature they added. Holding the phone ones pointer finger finger tip fits perfectly in that dimple so you can hold the phone nicely and keep a good grip on it. Now the side curve, your wrist has a curve in it where your thumb muscle is, the bottom of this phone sits in there perfectly for me. But there are cons, my personal preference to the edges of the phone is to have it rounded, so it doesn't cut into your hand. The Moto G has a rather sharp side curve making it uncomfortable to hold for more than 30 minutes of continuous use. All I have to say about that. One awesome feature is that the pack plate is replaceable with more colors than just black, giving you more of a custom phone like the Moto X.

Some will never like the clever design of the phone and say it's too minimalistic with only a lock and unlock button next to the volume rocker, I have gotten these confused before while getting used to the phone. Now let's get into the part that you stare at, the screen.

2. The "monitor" of the phone, packing a screen resolution of 720x1280 higher than that of the iPhone 5 with a "retina" display. Although the the screen is 4.5" big on the Moto G, compared to my GirlFriends iPhone 5, I say it looks sharper. This display is an IPS panel, so it has amazing viewing angles, something that is important on a phone, not everyone looks at them straight on and having this allows users to play games at odd angles. Looking at this screen for over an hour may give you a headache well, because you shouldn't be doing that. Go outside or something. I almost forgot, on the screen is Corning Gorilla Glass, and that stuff is TOUGH.

I love the display, it's beautiful, but there has to be something that powers all of that, some Quad-Core computing hardware. 

3. The CPU, or the brain of the phone. A Qualcomm Snapdragon 400, a beast of a mobile processor. It packs 4 cores at 1.2Ghz, so far everything I have thrown at it, it handles it nicely without any lag what-so-ever. Along with that CPU has to be a GPU to power the scree, an Adreno 305 GPU. This little thing packs a furious punch. I ran multiple benchmarks and got outstanding results, but we will get more into that later. This phone feels pretty snappy, with only 1GB of RAM, I can still throw all of my programs at it and it doesn't run out of processing ram.

The CPU and GPU Google(Motorola) that they have thrown in there is an amazing pair and work flawlessly together. Now to the thing that powers it all.

4. The Battery. The thing most people don't exactly care about in a phone, they just want amazing features and amazing battery life. Well, you need to make sure it has a good battery first. The Moto G packs an unremoveable 2070 Miliamp-hour battery. I wanted to do a test on how long I could take the battery, without using the battery saving options. So I put the screen at a brightness that I really like it at, and used it all day, and all night. Doing gaming, watching videos, streaming on Netflix while in the car going to Vegas. I got an amazing 8.23 hours of battery out of this thing, keeping in mind I used it from 100% to 0%, and playing and doing some power hungry tasks. I am very impressed, I have snapchatted my friends all day, and I unplugged my phone when it has at 100% off the charger, as of now it is at 74%, that is 14 hours of almost continuous use, but when I wasn't using it I stopped the processes and locked it.

I am very impressed with the battery in this thing, but one con is that it didn't come with a USB charger, just a cable attached to the wall plug. Now the most anticipated part (for me at least)

As part of my review I wanted to do some stress tests and bench marks, so I went ahead and downloaded 3DMARK for Android OS. After downloading the Ice Storm pack within the app, I ran Ice Storm, there were 2 other options. It did the mark at 720p, using intensive graphics. I ran this test bench a total of 2 times. Getting the following scores and under certain conditions.

Running Android version 4.4.2, I got the following scores after being on all day.

1. Overall Score: 5679
  2. Graphics Score: 5324
  3. Physics Score: 7409
  4. Graphics Test 1: 25.4 FPS Average
  5. Graphics Test 2: 21.1 FPS Average
  6. Physics Test: 23.5 FPS Average

This got pretty good test Scores, so I thought I would restart the phone, and re run the test, getting the following scores. The phone was off for 40 minutes.

1. Overall Score: 5648
  2. Graphics Score: 5275
  3. Physics Score: 7503
  4. Graphics Test 1: 25.3 FPS Average
  5. Graphics Test 2: 21 FPS Average
  6. Physics Test: 23.8 FPS Average

This about sums up my review of the Moto G, if there is anything I may have forgotten or you want me to emphasize on, feel free to comment that suggestions and I will get around do going so as soon as I can. Thank you for taking your time to read through my review of the Moto G.

moto-g.jpg

AS requested by @[member=klngpln

dat ass @_@

EVGA GAMING INSIDE

The best measurement is screen on time.

I can do that tomorrow and see what it is at 100% and 50% backlit