~$300 Budget for Best Results

HaZardousLP

I'm looking for the best sound solution available for around $300, 80% gaming so my biggest concern is the spatial/situational awareness. I have Turtle Beach Ear Force Deltas currently and the wireless is annoying me so I need a better solution. I'm not shre whether I should be getting a sound card and headphones and mic or what. I currently have a Maximus V Formula with ThunderFX that I would like to use fully. I realise this topic is very opinionated but I'd like some input. Thanks very much.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjR5V1ZmBc

there is another vid where the guy speaks so its less boring but he suggests the astro mixamp... I'd go with a sound card instead.

for spatial headphones go for an open designed set like the one in the video audio technica ad700 or if you got bucks akg 701 or 702

I'd get the headphones first to test to see if your ears can hear it before going all in with the card.

I currently don't have a soundcard, however from what I have heard from friends, research etc. Is that the asus xonar xense audio set is really good value and the sound is awesome. I dont know how easy it is to get in the US or Cananda, as its been discontinued I think, but in the uk it's pretty easy. I currently have turtle beach x12's using onboard sound and I have no problems, but i'm not particullarly bothered about having amazing headphones because I normally use speakers.

I'm in Australia so things are often a little more expensive and/or harder to get but what I've heard is the AD700's are very good but I really don't like the colour scheme :/

If I cant find a good set-up I'll probably end up getting Astro A40's because they're familiar and easy to use.

I'm thinking now that I should get the AKG Q701's because they look and sound pretty amazing. My question is this however: Can I power it fully with the ThunderFX? What details to I have to pay attention to so I know in future if I change my mind? I know about the impedance but what about the sensitivities and such?

62 ohms is easy to drive. in my opinion you should look at extra power for things over 100 ohms.

I'd look for a portable amp so you can wear them around and drive them with your ipod or other mp3 device while not necessary it makes for a more satisfying experience.

AKG701 is one of the best headphone for the price and i would suggest never buy a gaming headset.

The 701s do need a AMP and i'm pretty sure the ThunderFX will do fine.

Next time don't buy gaming audio equipment :)

I have a pair of Astro A40s that I use for gaming. Will not the best sound quality they have very good spatial awareness and are very comfortable.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D