Soundcard help

MxRider9637

Honestly the bass is boosted by about 8-9 db i think

Source innerfidelity wall of fame:

The V-Moda M-100 has dramatically emphasized bass, nominally up about 8-9dB over the mid-range. That's a lot of bass, and it starts to kick in from 400Hz to 200Hz. I would have preferred the bass boost to happen about 100Hz lower. For acoustic music and smooth Jazz like Foreplay or Dave Grusin, this upper bass/low mids accentuation is a bit too thick.

In my opinion, if you add bass reducer on this headphone, it makes it sound really good.

Im not going to hype it or anything, theres no such thing as the perfect headphone, what i will say is: if you love pop and hip hop music, its extremely hard to beat this headphone in terms of listening fun.

If your looking for a more faithful music reproduction i recommend the focal spirit professional, but its not what a call consumer sound, they are almost entirely neutral sounding.

Honestly, if you want a headphone that performs well for gaming, i recommend open headphones, because of the sound stage.

take a look at this link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

It rates headphones suitable for gaming, maybe you can find some closed cans, i really liked this article.

well for music i would be listening to rock music...

well for music i would be listening to rock music...

alot of people swear by Grado for their rock music, its an open can.

Grabbed from headfi:

Rock doesn't really need soundstage depth, which Grado just plain doesn't do at the low end of their lineup. Also, a lot of classic rock is kind of "muddy" sounding in the mix, and thus grados with their upper mids presence boost kind of counteract that. Finally they're very "quick" in that they can produce a lot of hard transients very fast without running into trouble, which is obviously important for rock.

That being said, I actually prefer Sennheiser for rock. And everything else for that matter.

Take this with a grain of salt, i havent personally ever heard a grado headphone and some people on headfi can really hype stuff up (but theres alot of great guys there) I do think they can sound a bit bright though.

alot of people swear by Grado for their rock music, its an open can.

Grabbed from headfi:

Rock doesn't really need soundstage depth, which Grado just plain doesn't do at the low end of their lineup. Also, a lot of classic rock is kind of "muddy" sounding in the mix, and thus grados with their upper mids presence boost kind of counteract that. Finally they're very "quick" in that they can produce a lot of hard transients very fast without running into trouble, which is obviously important for rock.

That being said, I actually prefer Sennheiser for rock. And everything else for that matter.

Take this with a grain of salt, i havent personally ever heard a grado headphone and some people on headfi can really hype stuff up (but theres alot of great guys there) I do think they can sound a bit bright though.

i know sennheiser makes some good headphones!

Also im not talking about heavy metal or anything, im talking nice classic rock/ hard rock

i know sennheiser makes some good headphones!!!

Its all really personal you know, some people might prefer m100's for rock other prefer grados' others prefer senns.

I do think the grados are really cheap for what they offer. grado 80i

i really really like the m100s, i wish i could test them and try them out, but kind of impossible.. In game does the bass effect sound quality at all? Probably make you shit your pants when a grenade goes off besides you (BF4)

Phillips l2 are semi-open

Also, don't trust anything head-fi says. A ton of it they just pull out of their asses.

i really really like the m100s, i wish i could test them and try them out, but kind of impossible.. In game does the bass effect sound quality at all? Probably make you shit your pants when a grenade goes off besides you (BF4)

I've heard great things about the m100s but if their cups are the same as the LP, then they are actually quite small and more of an on-ear than over. At that price, you should go for Mayflower modded Fostex headphones version 3. I think they are sold out right now though. They're never in stock for long. 

Edit: Yesterday I went back to my DT770 for a day and honestly I did not like them very much after switching to V3s. They were that good lol. 

Phillips l2 are semi-open

Also, don't trust anything head-fi says. A ton of it they just pull out of their asses.

I've heard great things about the m100s but if their cups are the same as the LP, then they are actually quite small and more of an on-ear than over. At that price, you should go for Mayflower modded Fostex headphones version 3. I think they are sold out right now though. They're never in stock for long. 

Edit: Yesterday I went back to my DT770 for a day and honestly I did not like them very much after switching to V3s. They were that good lol. 

for that price i would personally prefer the mad dogs over the mayflowers t50rp. and id recommend the xl pads for the m100 for sure

for that price i would personally prefer the mad dogs over the mayflowers t50rp. and id recommend the xl pads for the m100 for sure

Maddogs are like 200 more though! I looked at those again and they spend a lot of money on things that are not worth it. I think the are just overpriced headphones. There is a limitation on how much improvement you can get by modding.

Maddogs are like 200 more though! I looked at those again and they spend a lot of money on things that are not worth it. I think the are just overpriced headphones. There is a limitation on how much improvement you can get by modding.

point taken, price/quality the mayflower is quite good.

Slight hiccup in what I said earlier. Stupid phone lol. I meant to say that they spend a lot of things that do not improve sound quality. Like the lettering on the side, the overly complicated headband and changing the 3.5mm detachable jack.

Feel free to mail them to me.

Slight hiccup in what I said earlier. Stupid phone lol. I meant to say that they spend a lot of things that do not improve sound quality. Like the lettering on the side, the overly complicated headband and changing the 3.5mm detachable jack.

i dont know, the mayflowers dont seem to excite me.. I do plan on getting the m100 but im going to wait for a price drop.. 

i dont know, the mayflowers dont seem to excite me.. I do plan on getting the m100 but im going to wait for a price drop.. 

you can wait until you weigh an ounce than, i dont think they will, you could also get the audio technica m50x' they are pretty good. and have nice bass alwell. or ultimate ears 6000

Buy used

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=v-moda+m+100&=&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4

you can wait until you weigh an ounce than, i dont think they will, you could also get the audio technica m50x' they are pretty good. and have nice bass alwell. or ultimate ears 6000

M50x is overpriced as shit. 

if you look at audio that way, so are the m100's than, probably even more

It's the only way to look at audio...and while the m100s might be overpriced, I've never listened to them so can't say anything about them.

It's the only way to look at audio...and while the m100s might be overpriced, I've never listened to them so can't say anything about them.

I dont agree with you that the m50x's are overpriced, i think they offer nice sound quality, with great build quality. they are comfortable (if a bit hot)

But i still think they are good performers

I dont agree with you that the m50x's are overpriced, i think they offer nice sound quality, with great build quality. they are comfortable (if a bit hot)

But i still think they are good performers

The sound quality isn't anything special. They are beat by a lot of things in that price range. 

The sound quality isn't anything special. They are beat by a lot of things in that price range. 

sure, but its not like they get stomped. easily driven. comfort.

sure, but its not like they get stomped. easily driven. comfort.

The comfort isn't even that great. The cups are too small. The pads on the old ones get hard as rocks but I hear the new ones are a bit better. They do get stomped. 

The comfort isn't even that great. The cups are too small. The pads on the old ones get hard as rocks but I hear the new ones are a bit better. They do get stomped. 

by what

Onboard is better than sound cards 99% of the time.

You're actually wrong about that. Using onboard is good enough for people who don't need a higher gain or amplification but, can be ok to use for playing games like hearing footsteps. Even though onboard is great its not as good as a dedicated part designed for that purpose. A sound card will have better Digital to analog conversion on it to reproduce a better sound and have a higher gain and amplification. Since Digital is only to levels (0 and 1) of sound, it can only reproduce a pulse that is only a fraction of a analog signal, and higher quality parts get get to that better than lower quality like what is on motherboards. Analog has a infinite levels of signal and is harder to replicate using a digital signal since it has to divide each signal into a 1 or 0. All in all, a sound card is better if you want a "truer" sound that is close to analog than using onboard that it still sounds good but not as good as quality as a dedicated part. Just so you know I am a electrical and electronic engineering major in college so i know what im talking about since I build this type of things everyday in class.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

You're actually wrong about that. Using onboard is good enough for people who don't need a higher gain or amplification but, can be ok to use for playing games like hearing footsteps. Even though onboard is great its not as good as a dedicated part designed for that purpose. A sound card will have better Digital to analog conversion on it to reproduce a better sound and have a higher gain and amplification. Since Digital is only to levels (0 and 1) of sound, it can only reproduce a pulse that is only a fraction of a analog signal, and higher quality parts get get to that better than lower quality like what is on motherboards. Analog has a infinite levels of signal and is harder to replicate using a digital signal since it has to divide each signal into a 1 or 0. All in all, a sound card is better if you want a "truer" sound that is close to analog than using onboard that it still sounds good but not as good as quality as a dedicated part. Just so you know I am a electrical and electronic engineering major in college so i know what im talking about since I build this type of things everyday in class.

an external dac/amp will perform better most of the time, less noise it can pick up from the case, and also 10 ohm output impedance that every sound card has isnt great.

Just because you build parts LIKE those doesn't mean you know it's actually better. As for the surround, headphone mode in games is better than any of the stuff that comes with the sound card. And that isn't even the sound card itself. It's just software bundled with the card. Anything you said about digital and analog can be applied to both onboard and sound cards since the technology behind them is the same. It's the application that matters and sound cards are just built terribly. I agree with the dedicated part but what you don't realize is that sound cards are made terribly. Dedicated parts like external dac/amps such as the o2 and odac are better than onboard but not crappy sound cards. The only reason to buy a sound card is if there is something wrong with your onboard and you need a cheap replacement or you need some amplification on the cheap. But even at that, there are external solutions for a little but more like a syba dac and amp for $45 that it is really hard to recommend a sound card. Sorry if this sounded like a rant but I hate people that say they know everything about a topic because they are in college for an area related to it because I am a college student too and we know that the first few years of college, students don't know shit.