64-Bit Smartphones Coming By Christmas

qwertywarrior

ARM's VP of corporate strategy, Tom Lantzsch, says that 64-bit Smartphones are coming by Christmas. Device makers have shown a lot of interest in 64-bit, more so than the company had anticipated, particularly to the low-power ARM Cortex A53 CPU core.

According to Lantzsch, partners will be ready with a plethora of 64-bit Smartphones by Christmas this year. Together with 64-bit software, which would help unlock the maximum performance of these upcoming devices, the Smartphone industry has never been more happening and exciting.

"We've been surprised at the pace that 64-bit is now becoming mobile centric. Qualcomm, MediaTek, and Marvell are examples of public 64-bit disclosures. Even existing 32-bit code will run more efficiently on [the] v8-A architecture than on native 32-bit ARM architecture"

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/8419/64-bit-smartphones-coming-by-christmas-arm-exec.html

i always thought 64 bit on phones was stupid but it seems that the new arm v8 runs 32bit software more efficiently

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What's the difference?

More money for phone manufacturers because "Hey,this is 64 bit!You gonna pay more money for it".Also some small performance improvements,but it will take a while for the phone market to really make use of the 64 bit architecture.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

More money for phone manufacturers because "Hey,this is 64 bit!You gonna pay more money for it".Also some small performance improvements,but it will take a while for the phone market to really make use of the 64 bit architecture.

no it doesn't necessarily. this is a good thing. that means 64 will come in at current top prices, and 32 will drop.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no it doesn't necessarily. this is a good thing. that means 64 will come in at current top prices, and 32 will drop.

or they'd be like, Fuck you consumers, £200 more. although the Oppo OnePlus One could push others to use this as a reason for charging less for 32 bit

Most people buying phones don't know what the difference between 64 bit and 32 bit is, so they'll probably get away with just charging higher for 64 bit and keep it the same for 32 bit. People that don't know what it means will probably buy them anyway, because bigger numbers are better. 

What's the difference?

32 more bits... and a brand new instruction set.

What that translates to a very big performance increase. Just switching to ARMv8 alone will give us a ~20% performance increase (and in certain situations like some crypto things we will see an 800% performance increase).

The move to 64bit ARM processors will be a big leap. Not just "wow more RAM!" like a lot of people think.

It's time to stop the bullshit and develop a cheap NAND with proper speeds for phones because this is the actual bottleneck!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Great, then phones will have 8gb of ram and still lag.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I don't see the point for 64 bit consumer phones. Can I make phone calls with a 32 bit phone? Can i surf the web and watch video while I'm waiting at the doctors office or at the airport? Cell phone or smart phone proliferation has gotten completely out of control. Too the point where cell phone manufactures are using more gimmicks sell their products.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

It's time to stop the bullshit and develop a cheap NAND with proper speeds for phones because this is the actual bottleneck!

We already have that. It's just that manufacturers doesn't care.

SanDisk for example has an eMMC solution for phones which does 6K IOPS random read, 3K IOPS random write, 300MB/s sequential read and 80MB sequential writes. Available in up to 64GB capacity.

It probably doesn't even cost that much either. It's probably like 40 dollars for the 64GB version and 30 dollars for the 32GB version.

Not sure about you, but I would definitely pay 40 dollars extra (which means the manufacturer makes ~10 dollars from the NAND alone) for a 64GB model of a smartphone that high performance NAND.

So yeah... this didn't come out like over a year ago with the iPhone 5s 

Anand did an interesting article showing the improvements of this over 32bit

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Apple's had one for nearly a year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

More bits means better. DON'T QUESTION THIS LOGIC, PEASANT!

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't see the point for 64 bit consumer phones. Can I make phone calls with a 32 bit phone? Can i surf the web and watch video while I'm waiting at the doctors office or at the airport? Cell phone or smart phone proliferation has gotten completely out of control. Too the point where cell phone manufactures are using more gimmicks sell their products.

People said the same thing about desktop CPUs. "baww it's gotten out of hand, who actually needs a 1GHz CPU on their desktop and over 128MB of RAM?".

I think currently most phones use a 58 bit processor

Awesome. Support for more RAM usage.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

People said the same thing about desktop CPUs. "baww it's gotten out of hand, who actually needs a 1GHz CPU on their desktop and over 128MB of RAM?".

From a end user standpoint. I can't see a lot of benefits here with this new tech. Also I'm not against moving tech forward on a mobile scale. But at this point where wireless speed are slow. Having more processing power is a moot point. Mobile or small form factor devices are heavily dependent on wireless speeds. The mobile space as it stands now lacks innovation. The avg consumer don't really care are specs when it comes to smartphones. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

From a end user standpoint. I can't see a lot of benefits here with this new tech. Also I'm not against moving tech forward on a mobile scale. But at this point where wireless speed are slow. Having more processing power is a moot point. Mobile or small form factor devices are heavily dependent on wireless speeds. The mobile space as it stands now lacks innovation. The avg consumer don't really care are specs when it comes to smartphones. 

How is a big performance increase not beneficial? Everything simply gets faster. Loading web pages, it can save power (race to idle) so you get longer battery life, apps start faster, apps obviously performs better, etc.

The average consumer might not care about the CPU that's in the phone, but they still benefit from it.

Mobile hardware becoming more and more powerful makes it that much more certain that they'll replace consumer-grade desktops for the vast majority of users. Plug your phone into a dock and get the full desktop experience. 

Regardless of how we might feel about the enthusiast-desktop not disappearing for a long time to come, the majority of consumers aren't us. The majority doesn't need what we need; all they need is a small, portable device which will cover all of their needs, and with the potential to be a desktop device should they desire to use it that way. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

-cough- iPhone 5s -cough-

dont kill me pls

The difference is that Apple's A7 64-bit chip, a 1.3GHz dual-core SoC can compete with the high-end Snapdragon 800 32-bit chip, running at 2Ghz (average) and being quad-core.

What's the difference?

I will let this nice Atari sponsored teacher explain:

In all seriousness though, only a few years back we started to use 64bit OSes to take advantage of more than 3gb of ram (though on the servers side this goes a lot further back) Apparently it has been (arbitrarily) decided that 32 bit it's too slow for mobile apps and games that still look like fucking flash games and thus, we need to upgrade the architecture. What will it do? Well it will support a lot more Samsung fucking bloatware! Never again must you settle for the slick and elegant stock android look, now you can add so much more thacky shit on top to make the experience all around worst with capabilities for 4gb of ram and beyond! 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I need my 32 gigs of ram for my 50 chrome tabs!! gimmme

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD