who had data corruption on SSD

Florian11

Not exactly, the larger the ssd the more write cycles it has (Normally) this is how many times the drive can rewrite the same sector of space. The larger the ssd the bigger the life cycle basicly.

That is not entirely correct. imagine you have a MLC with 6 cells above each other. now a manufacturer comes and wants larger drives. now he adds more MLC but adds 2 more cells as well. so write cycles for a single MLC are getting lower but more MLCs are available. For me that kind of cancels each other out. that used to be the reason why Enterprise SSDs used to be based on SLC and are now beginning to stack some cells into MLC, nothing comparable to the consumer drives though.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

i would take 500 gb ssd cuz now i got 202Gb on my HDD and i will download one more game (titanfall) which takes 50gb and then i have enough free space, luckily my laptop hast 1x mS-ATA, 1xS-ATA 6Gb/s and 1xS-ATA 3Gb/s

and i already bought a HDD with 750GB on amazon and wait for it to arrive

That is not entirely correct. imagine you have a MLC with 6 cells above each other. now a manufacturer comes and wants larger drives. now he adds more MLC but adds 2 more cells as well. so write cycles for a single MLC are getting lower but more MLCs are available. For me that kind of cancels each other out. that used to be the reason why Enterprise SSDs used to be based on SLC and are now beginning to stack some cells into MLC, nothing comparable to the consumer drives though.

Generally speaking what I have said is most often the case, I don't know that much about ssd's. I am a network nerd :P

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

well, I'm not that much of a storage nerd myself, I just got to know a thing since I got an SSD pretty early and had to invest quite some time into it to make it run (no TRIM on Mac devices back then, I regularly had to plug in the SSD into a Windows Station to perform TRIM LOL) and got to know some stuff. Even though SSDs got more reliable, they still carry around the same problems since then kind of..

Generally speaking what I have said is most often the case, I don't know that much about ssd's. I am a network nerd :P

and i never said you were wrong. Adding another layer to the MLCs is a really difficult task. Shrinking the MLCs and putting more of them into an SSD proved to be FAR easier, to get into higher data density though manufacturers go into both routes. It's actually possible that the rate of MLCs getting added and layers getting added result into a longer life for an SSD since more MLC cells get added than Layers get added relatively. Still it's marginal. I never questioned you since all of what you said was right, it just wasn't 100% complete

My builds:

and if i buy a 500gb ssd from samsung, how long will it work apparently?

I had a problem on my Vertex III once after a crash+hard reset. don't remember what happened or how I fixed it...but the drive's led turned red.

still running today with about 8TB writes over 1.5 years. yes it's slowed down a little, about 365MB/s read as of today

and if i buy a 500gb ssd from samsung, how long will it work apparently?

at least the warranty period. surely you'll replace it with a 1 or 2TB model next year anyway

I got 2x Corsair Force F series, one 60GB and one 120GB - bought in 2010, still working without any issues.

2x Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB in Raid0 - bought in Q2 2013, still working without any issues.

and the one that failed me:

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - bought in March 2014, died a week ago.

Pinkamena, would you recommend the evo or 3k hyperX?

Out of those two, I recommend the HyperX 3K

But if I was going to buy a new SSD today, I would have bought the Crucial M500

Never had a problem, my oldest SSD is a Kingston SSDNow V100 from 2010, it's still in use in my home file server. I've had issues with Linux filling the drive with log files a few times and still have never run into a problem. Zero corruption, keep it on 24/7, I have only turned it off twice when installing SATA controllers.

I now have 5 SSDs in 4 systems that are all used every day, not a single problem. They've been used with: Mac OS X (Snow Leopard), Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu 12.04-13.10 no problems at all. Three are Kingston V-series, one Kingston HyperX and one VisionTEK mSATA SSD.

This is not how things work. While die stacking (we can stack up to 16 dies per package -- 256GB chips) can decrease speed, when there are too many dies, it most defenetly won't affect endurance.

As far as sticking more bits into a cell is concerned; With flash we only came to 3 bits per cell (technically 4, but no one uses it anymore) and majority of drivse use 2 bits per cell (EVO is the only drive with 3 bits).

More bits obviously means lesser endurance (less voltage tolarence to work with) but even with 3 bits, its still more than enough for consumers. Controllers are so advanced, that they can easily mask such limitations of flash.

TL;dr

Wearing out ssd is just a complete FUD :)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

This is not how things work. While die stacking (we can stack up to 16 dies per package -- 256GB chips) can decrease speed, when there are too many dies, it most defenetly won't affect endurance.

As far as sticking more bits into a cell is concerned; With flash we only came to 3 bits per cell (technically 4, but no one uses it anymore) and majority of drivse use 2 bits per cell (EVO is the only drive with 3 bits).

More bits obviously means lesser endurance (less voltage tolarence to work with) but even with 3 bits, its still more than enough for consumers. Controllers are so advanced, that they can easily mask such limitations of flash.

TL;dr

Wearing out ssd is just a complete FUD :)

That's what i learned in university. Blame my prof

btw good job of challenging my d*ck @Pinkamena! Couldn't resist clicking on your profile pic xD

My builds:

Looks like ur university knows little about flash then :)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian