LG 34UM95 34" Ultra Widescreen 21:9 Monitor - My New Favourite

Yep, did that off the bat, thanks, even if my CF 280x setup doesn't really like DP very much, which I attribute to Tahiti being frigging ancient (from a tech POV) and AMD never bothering to work all the tiny bugs in its implementation (like not detecting a wake signal properly every time, meaning I have to turn it off and on sometimes).  :huh:  However, I'm getting a 295X2 when I have some money again (or find one at a good price, maybe open box or something), so I hopefully won't need to fuss with that for long.

Nearly 7 hours into owning this monitor, and I can already say that the only way someone could take it from me is if they pry it from my cold, dead hands. M-hmm.

Are you threatening me?!

Do you guys think a single GTX 780 would be able to comfortably power this monitor for gaming?

EDIT*

It does look like a single GTX 780 can power this beast, albeit with some reduced settings.

I am really wary of purchasing this monitor though because of all the terrible reviews and problems with backlight bleed.

This gentleman did an extraordinary write up and review of this monitor.  But has since been having a lot of trouble with LG in their RMA process.  He shows the backlight bleed issues, and they are BAD.  Other people with the same monitor are also commenting showing their bad backlight bleed issues also.  As it currently stands, this monitor is not fit to be sold because it has some very unacceptable problems.  Maybe towards the end of the year if they get their sh*t together I will purchase this monitor.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Do you guys think a single GTX 780 would be able to comfortably power this monitor for gaming?

EDIT*

It does look like a single GTX 780 can power this beast, albeit with some reduced settings.

I am really wary of purchasing this monitor though because of all the terrible reviews and problems with backlight bleed.

This gentleman did an extraordinary write up and review of this monitor.  But has since been having a lot of trouble with LG in their RMA process.  He shows the backlight bleed issues, and they are BAD.  Other people with the same monitor are also commenting showing their bad backlight bleed issues also.  As it currently stands, this monitor is not fit to be sold because it has some very unacceptable problems.  Maybe towards the end of the year if they get their sh*t together I will purchase this monitor.

Yes, I think it will, though maybe not up to what many people want, re. ultra settings @ 60fps. My CF 280X setup does an okay job, but I'm looking forward to the move to a 295X2.

Are you threatening me?!

I think I've watched this video once a day for a week straight now.  Check out the pictures that this guy has posted.  The movies in cinematic aspect ratio make me want to buy a splash guard for my monitor, if you know what I mean.

Linus needs to set the clock on his stove.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

My Samsung P2250 has started going off in the middle of work and needs to be junked.  With four documents open at once side by side I can see I need (want) that LG. Wish I hadn't watched the video cos now anything else I buy will mock me "it's not 34 inch 21 by 9"

Great video Linus! I have a few questions about Thunderbolt support that you didn't cover in your review, I would very much appreciate it if you could answer these:

• Other than powering the display and daisy-chaining, what connectivity does the Thunderbolt port provide? Is it connected to the USB hub and/or speakers?
  • You mention in the video that "only" the DP input provides 10-bit color, does that mean that you don't get it from Thunderbolt?
  • Does connecting another display via mini-DP to the daisy-chained Thunderbolt port work? (it doesn't on Apple's TB display)

I know you're busy, but I'd really like to know how this Thunderbolt display stacks up to the Apple Thunderbolt Display in these regards.

From LG's website: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UM95

COLOUR MANAGEMENT

For true and natural colour, the 34UM95 calibrates in real time without depending on the graphic board's predicted colours. The monitor itself is equipped with a built-in Scaler and True Colour Finder software to directly adjust the colour settings to a user defined set point. In addition, its 10-bit colour display is 64 times richer than an 8-bit colour display, recreating colours softly and naturally without colour banding. Enjoy stunning colour accuracy for an advanced viewing pleasure. 

* Hardware Calibration requires True Colour Finder (Only compatible with Windows XP/7/8 by DisplayPort; Windows 7/8 by Thunderbolt; or New Mac Pro® by DisplayPort/Thunderbolt), and compatible calibrator (not included). 

* The display supports 10-bit colour over Display port only.

Clear as mud ehh?

• 3 weeks later...

think a single 780 could get decent framerate on this monitor? 

No way dude you need more VRAM and more horsepower

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Depends on the games and what settings you want to run at. Ideally at this resolution you'd want a crossfire/SLI configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

First post. 

I was able to buy this monitor from Tiger Direct when it was selling for $889 USD. They don't have it anymore on their site and I cannot find it anywhere else for that price. It is amazing. 

Greetings....  Price has come down alot $650, I will concur that a 4K monitor needs a lot of power. I bought the Dell UP3214Q 4K Ultra HD Monitor, even though my GTX670ti supports the resolution the FPS really suffers for gaming.

Depends on the games and what settings you want to run at. Ideally at this resolution you'd want a crossfire/SLI configuration.

How about a R9 290x?

• 2 weeks later...

That awkward moment when they make a 4k version lol

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen Linus get this excited in a while.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.2 | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti ACX SC | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Monitor: Asus PB278Q | Sound: ATH-M50X | Mic: Blue Snowball

That awkward moment when they make a 4k version lol

4K curved, but sadly not a UHD 21:9 version such as this. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Depends on the game, but you should be fine unless you max AA a lot.

I play lots of games in OS X on a D700/280x ( no xfire support in it in OS X), and I rarely have issues at High settings on a single card. Then again I have 6GB VRAM per card.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

• 4 months later...

I wonder if there is a curved 2560x1080p verison wich dosen't costs more than 500 dollars. :P

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

• 3 months later...

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

• 4 months later...