AMD R9 295X2 Review

Hmm strange fps cap.

Luke could you more benchmarks with other games like Grid 2 and Dirt 3 both at 4k resolution? With all settings max out.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Did Linus say he had to have Austin Evans send him his card for reviewing?  Why did Austin get one and not Linus?? I find that pretty odd...

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

So if you are getting second one from AMD, maybe test a quad crossfire? How it will be to set up into ATX case?

Toms Hardware already did this. Very little performance increase, if any in some benchmarks. Certainly not worth the time or money for most people, even enthusiasts 

You can find it here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-295x2-crossfire-performance,3808.html

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

WOOP

EDIT: I wonder, could you modd the card into a custom loop? do the blocks function with the pumps turned off? can you turn them off?

It's possible, i think. you'd probably damage the pumps on the card, though. as for turning them off, just unplug them.

but, id get a full cover block though, damn sexy

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9616

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

GEEZ the more I see it the more I desire it, but on that note I have a quick question...

Hey Linus, or anyone to be honest, I WANT this card not need so not delving too deep into the extra costs as of yet.

I have a Corsair 860w PSU, this has the 5V rated at 25A and the 12V at 71A you mention that the card would require the 28A per PCI-E connector so would I in theory be fine or I should grab a 1kw single rail PSU instead?

Thanks for any help.

Wow, that's pretty awesome, props to AMD. I hope Nvidia comes out with something similar, could be my future video card :)

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Kamishiku, on 23 Apr 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

GEEZ the more I see it the more I desire it, but on that note I have a quick question...

Hey Linus, or anyone to be honest, I WANT this card not need so not delving too deep into the extra costs as of yet.

I have a Corsair 860w PSU, this has the 5V rated at 25A and the 12V at 71A you mention that the card would require the 28A per PCI-E connector so would I in theory be fine or I should grab a 1kw single rail PSU instead?

Thanks for any help.

Let me answer this for you. Your 860w psu is totally fine. You just need to look at the 12v rail which has more than enough amps for that card.

sure its a cool new card and all.. but why not just get the two 780Ti for a good amount less money and runs a bit better? 

Luke

can we also know the test bench setup?

was it the i7 3770K system?

Why are you asking me? Go ask Luke. Oh wait....

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

As much as I hate the card and some aspects of the company behind it, I still must give them props for making a really high performance GPU.

Fanboy alert, Sound the alarms!

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Fanboy alert, Sound the alarms!

Seriously?

I respect and love AMD for their low-mid end CPUs (Athlon, A8, A10, etc.) and their GPUs, but I still dislike some of their attitude towards the enthusiast market.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I should buy one so I don't have to pay for heating

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Why are you asking me? Go ask Luke. Oh wait....

sorry my bad there

I was referring to the other Luke >.<

I wonder if this GPU could support three 1440P monitors for eyefinity coz I am into racing sim experience

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

sorry my bad there

I was referring to the other Luke >.<

I wonder if this GPU could support three 1440P monitors for eyefinity coz I am into racing sim experience

His username is Slick =P

@Slick

could you do further benchmarks on other game genre like Racing Sims or games like Dirt 3 or Grid 2 in 4K resolution?

or if possible bench marking games using Eyefinity using three 1440P monitors

I planning for a possible racing sim rig for myself

Thanks

Why would you benchmark ACIV which has a 60fps cap? Would have liked to see something like Crysis 3 & BF4. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Why would you benchmark ACIV which has a 60fps cap? Would have liked to see something like Crysis 3 & BF4. 

I believed Austin have benchmark the two games you mentioned

actually the GPU belongs to Austin :)

Linus paid to have the GPU to be shipped to him for testing too

I believed Austin have benchmark the two games you mentioned

actually the GPU belongs to Austin :)

Linus paid to have the GPU to be shipped to him for testing too

Not the point.

AC4 is a buggy mess of a game with no real optimization, with a silly FPS cap. Not the best game to test. 

BF4 across 3 monitors with Ultra and 16x and scaling at 200% would've been a funny (and challenging) test to run on this car. 

Not the point.

AC4 is a buggy mess of a game with no real optimization, with a silly FPS cap. Not the best game to test. 

BF4 across 3 monitors with Ultra and 16x and scaling at 200% would've been a funny (and challenging) test to run on this car. 

you mean something like this?

I was thinking in my mind if its possible for 3 Asus 1440P monitors to be powered by just one R9 295X2

you mean something like this?

I was thinking in my mind if its possible for 3 Asus 1440P monitors to be powered by just one R9 295X2

I'd want it tested with scaling set to 150% and 200%. Single and multi monitor. 

I'd want it tested with scaling set to 150% and 200%. Single and multi monitor. 

ah i see what scaling is

didn't know it might choke GPUs with memory below 3GB

both GPUs have 4GB 512bit memory buffer not sure if that might matter

They confirmed on the WAN show that AMD finally actually sent them one as well, besides the one they got from Austin Evans. Shortly they will have two! Would like to see some 4x Hawaii CF scaling at high resolution. And i agree, test a few more games please!

They confirmed on the WAN show that AMD finally actually sent them one as well, besides the one they got from Austin Evans. Shortly they will have two! Would like to see some 4x Hawaii CF scaling at high resolution. And i agree, test a few more games please!

two of these bad boys in a single computer? that's some high res minecraft!  :P

two of these bad boys in a single computer? that's some high res minecraft!  :P

But will they be able to run Call of Duty? Can any set up really have enough power to render a 4K dog? :P

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130