1200p (16:10) or 1440p (16:9) Display

mike911

Yes.  1440p can scale 1:1 with 720p in blocks of 4 pixels; 1200p or 1080p would have to scale it.  However all of them can fit 720p inside them so you could just set them to display it pixel for pixel instead of stretching to fill up the screen.  If you don't mind it being a bit small  that is :P

Not all 1440p monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping. All these cheap Korean manufacture monitors, and such don't.

And the day were we will see less expensive 1440p monitor, they will also, most likely, not support 1:1 pixel mapping.

I'd get the 1440p one because of the aspect ratio.I just can't stand watching video with black bars...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Yes.  1440p can scale 1:1 with 720p in blocks of 4 pixels; 1200p or 1080p would have to scale it.  However all of them can fit 720p inside them so you could just set them to display it pixel for pixel instead of stretching to fill up the screen.  If you don't mind it being a bit small  that is :P

But downscaling from 1080p to 720p will probably look better than 1440p, right?

I'd get the 1440p one because of the aspect ratio.I just can't stand watching video with black bars...

You are still going to get black bars.

Every directory chooses a different aspect ratio, all depending on what he wants you to see.... more of the scene surrounding or a more focus on what's happening. It's art.

However, an IPS panel, the black bars will be black. No back light bleeding. So it looks like it's part of the frame.

Not all 1440p monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping. All these cheap Korean manufacture monitors, and such don't.

And the day were we will see less expensive 1440p monitor, they will also, most likely, not support 1:1 pixel mapping.

1:1 scale seems like a better choice. I do understand that if I really want native resolution. the video will definitely be small on any higher resolution display.

video with black bars partially also depends on the content. certain movies now comes in those super wide and thin ratio.. which 16:9 also cannot be filled.

Every directory chooses a different aspect ratio, all depending on what he wants you to see.... more of the scene surrounding or a more focus on what's happening. It's art.

However, an IPS panel, the black bars will be black. No back light bleeding. So it looks like it's part of the frame.

I see so better blacks would just be great and helpful.

BTW guys, my brother's monitor is unable to power up and he needs a new one kind of urgently. so I'm gonna take the opportunity and get the u2412hm first as a more economical point of view. once I've have a better opinion of it then I'll decide whether to get the u2713hm or not

Ok i didn't know you'd get black bars in 1440p because it has the same same aspect ratio...And yeah the better blacks will make a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, So sorry for the late reply. Was being caught up with work.

I've bought a u2412m for my brother about 2 weeks back. Was rather amazed on the size when i opened it up. No dp/bp found. The white glow is present when looking from angles.

I didnt get much chance to use it, but overall i tried 1-2 720p video to check out the quality. Perhaps looking a correct distance (a "see all" from 1 view, than too closely) makes the overall viewing experience much better. Otherwise sometimes it might look alittle blury probably due to the video resolution also.

I'll put my monitor on a short hold, since he agreed to trade with me, if somehow the u2412m (16:10) phases out with some other models.

So thanks so much for all your inputs everyone, especially GoodBytes and tabuburn. Really appreciated it

Hi guys, So sorry for the late reply. Was being caught up with work.

I've bought a u2412m for my brother about 2 weeks back. Was rather amazed on the size when i opened it up. No dp/bp found. The white glow is present when looking from angles.

I didnt get much chance to use it, but overall i tried 1-2 720p video to check out the quality. Perhaps looking a correct distance (a "see all" from 1 view, than too closely) makes the overall viewing experience much better. Otherwise sometimes it might look alittle blury probably due to the video resolution also.

I'll put my monitor on a short hold, since he agreed to trade with me, if somehow the u2412m (16:10) phases out with some other models.

So thanks so much for all your inputs everyone, especially GoodBytes and tabuburn. Really appreciated it

Yes, the glow is normal. Any IPS panel does this. It is a downside of IPS panels, sadly. There is a panel treatment that the manufacture do to reduce it quiet a lot, but due to it's the process very high price tag, it's only reserved on select pro grade monitors, and specialty monitors (medical purposes, for example).

Glad you you are enjoyed the monitor.

And thank you for keeping us updated and giving us your impression of the monitor :)

Yes, the glow is normal. Any IPS panel does this. It is a downside of IPS panels, sadly. There is a panel treatment that the manufacture do to reduce it quiet a lot, but due to it's the process very high price tag, it's only reserved on select pro grade monitors, and specialty monitors (medical purposes, for example).

Glad you you are enjoyed the monitor.

And thank you for keeping us updated and giving us your impression of the monitor :)

I kind of read up more about the "glow" after i realised it. Because so far I've read is about the reported backlight bleeding in some cases.

Yup, I've certainly did. Now i can use the remainder half the price for a 2nd set for myself hahahas.

You are most welcome GoodBytes. I'll update again should I start hunting for another monitor sometime.

Back light bleeding is not very common on IPS panels, although, I agree, it can happen. Usually (assuming no manufacture error, of course) on the higher end models you really don't have this, due to the better IPS panel used.

Back light bleeding is not very common on IPS panels, although, I agree, it can happen. Usually (assuming no manufacture error, of course) on the higher end models you really don't have this, due to the better IPS panel used.

What ips panels are you looking at?The 2713HM has horrible cases of backlight bleeding as does the ASUS PB278q..Most are having a yellow tint to there bleed..Do you even own a 1440p ips panel?

Lets see i had the PB278Q and a monoprice and now my QNIX which all had BLB with my QNIX being the best out of all.Go look at any forum and you will hear that most IPS panels suffer from pretty bad backlight bleed..

That's not normal. Check reviews.

I don't have the a 27 inch monitor ay home, at work I have a 30inch monitor on my desk (Dell U3011), and the popular U2711 also no problem, and the U2713HM based user feedback on another forum that I participate in, people are happy, finds no fault.

I wonder if LG is started to product faulty panels again, like they did in 2008-2009?! If so, the problem is that LG is the largest by far IPS panel manufacture. Samsung next, and the rest, is limited productions no idea for mass production, or worst targeted at specialty markets. Hopefully not. In any case you warranty should cover this.

I don't really have any backlight bleed on my panel just a very small amount in the bottom left corner, but who looks at a completely dark screen anyways?