Hey guys, got a explorer.exe problem.

ScotFox

Hello guys, and first off thanks for taking the time to read this hehe.

Today i booted up my pc to find a windows error "Explorer.exe is not responding" this then goes in a loop of restarting and crashing until i click cancel at which point the task bar disappears and so does everything on the desktop. I can access everything on my pc by using task manager and then command prompt. My wallpaper is still there but everything else is gone. Ive read up a little on some sort of virus which could of caused it, which boots up with your pc, but after scanning my pc nothing has been found. This issue is really bugging me, as you may imagine.

MEANT TO ADD, that my soundcard has also stopped working at the same time? Has a yellow exclamation mark warning. Could be related?

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Leader of the Fox Army on twitch and youtube

Probably get a better antivirus, try safe mode, perhaps revert to a previous restore point, reinstall...

task manager -> new process -> explorer.exe

OR

task manager -> file -> new task -> explorer.exe

Hope it helps. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

task manager -> new process -> explorer.exe

Hope it helps. 

When this happens, it crashes. Thanks anyways :)

Probably get a better antivirus, try safe mode, perhaps revert to a previous restore point, reinstall...

I might try another scanner actually good point, and ill try out some other things as re installing is the last option haha! Thanks anyways.

explorer.exe is your desktop process, shows all of your desktop icons and stuff. Just relaunch explorer.exe from your task manger, check to see if you dont have any registry errors or viruses as both of those could cause explorer.exe not to launch on startup 

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

explorer.exe is your desktop process, shows all of your desktop icons and stuff. Just relaunch explorer.exe from your task manger, check to see if you dont have any registry errors or viruses as both of those could cause explorer.exe not to launch on startup 

yeh, relaunching explorer.exe results in a insta crash, ill look into see if i have any registry errors and im currently scanning my pc against for viruses. Cheers for your help.

yeh, relaunching explorer.exe results in a insta crash, ill look into see if i have any registry errors and im currently scanning my pc against for viruses. Cheers for your help.

pro tip, wanna scare your friend, change the background to a cracked screen image and close explorer.exe

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

What kind of thing be looking for in terms of registry errors?

really not sure, i just run c cleaner and it will scan for registry errors and correct them

What kind of thing be looking for in terms of registry errors?

really not sure, i just run c cleaner and it will scan for registry errors and correct them

you could try avast with it startup scan. Try setting it up in safe windows mode, next time you start up, it should do a (really long) scan before windows is loaded

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

Did you try to restart? :P

Get the free trial of Hitman pro and chuck up a scan.

Hey.

Attemp to get avast and schedule a boot time scan that will do a scan of all your files and folders since avast can't scan certain files while there being used by windows I think because windows denies access or something like that hope I could help you could also try task manager > new task > explorer.exe otherwise hope I could help.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Attemp to get avast and schedule a boot time scan that will do a scan of all your files and folders since avast can't scan certain files while there being used by windows I think because windows denies access or something like that hope I could help you could also try task manager > new task > explorer.exe otherwise hope I could help.

Currently runnin an avast boot scan, and it crashes when i use explorer.exe. thanks!

Currently runnin an avast boot scan, and it crashes when i use explorer.exe. thanks!

Did it work update?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

cccleaner should be able to sort that if its a registry error 

i7 875k @ 4.2 GHz, MSI BIG BANG TRINERGY BOARD, 16GB RAM, OCZ AGILITY 120GB SSD, MSI GTX 580, FULL CUSTOM WATERCOOLED

Try this:

Explorer.exe loop fix

It's a Microsoft webpage where some users were having the same problem and they found fixes for it. Hope it helps!

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

Did it work update?

cccleaner should be able to sort that if its a registry error 

Try this:

Explorer.exe loop fix

It's a Microsoft webpage where some users were having the same problem and they found fixes for it. Hope it helps!

looks good,hope he tries it

Hey guys, first off thanks for all of your help. I did use CCcleaner to see if it was a registry cleaner, nothing. Searched for viruses/malware 4 times,nothing. I never got a chance to try out that webpage you linked the "explorer.exe loop fix". I ended up just doing a fresh install of windows which seems to have fixed it. Thanks again for all of your help!

i had this problem by myself but after 2 months the explorer worked properly again