Unofficial UOLTT FAQ!

b45op

Added

General bugs and help...

Chat isn't working? To fix this try resetting your XMPP token in your RSI Settings (https://robertsspace...ccount/settings). If this does not work you can attempt to configure an XMPP client details can be found at (https://robertsspace.../faq/xmpp-setup) However they are somewhat lacking so some play is required.

This will help with the new orgs dropping that seem to have broken the chat again!

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Affiliation to the UOLTT (Multi organisation shenanigans!)

With the multi Orgs coming upon us the best source of information is Ixi's post (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/151118-the-situation-with-multiple-orgs-and-other-things/#entry2018845).

The short of it is:

Full members of the UOLTT receive full benefits, access to ranks, resource and so on... Affiliate members will not receive full benefits, hold a rank of authority or take priority above Members, with the exception of treaties being in place to accommodate these circumstances.

The UOLTT must be your main org to be considered a member. Members of the UOLTT won't be stopped from affiliating with other Orgs (why you would want to is the question).

Affiliates and Members alike will have to at all times abide by the rules of the UOLTT when on UOLTT business.

Updated with some multi org stuff.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

• 4 weeks later...

Heres an answer for a question you can add... cuz im wondering this myself.

If i buy a new ship after i already got 1.. will the new one replace the old one or do i then have 2 ships? Might be a stupid question but i really do want to know :)

I have no signature

Heres an answer for a question you can add... cuz im wondering this myself.

If i buy a new ship after i already got 1.. will the new one replace the old one or do i then have 2 ships? Might be a stupid question but i really do want to know :)

You'll have 2 ship but you can melt down your old one down if you want but I don't know how.

@b45op 2 questions to add:

Q:Where's the manual?

A: (Link)

Q:How do I get arena commander to work? I've been running round for ages.

A: Read the F***ing manual

we space now.

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHZ - Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev.2 - 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Vapor-X edition - Corsair Vengeance C70 - 64gb OCZ vector SSD, 500gb WD Blue - OCZ FAT4L1TY 750w psu - Coolermaster Seidon 240m with Coollab Liquid Pro

• 3 months later...

Updated the OP, with a bit of racing stuff and added a bit of the new shiny things.... I am going to go crash whilst trying to race now.

-Groucho Marx

Updated the OP, with a bit of racing stuff and added a bit of the new shiny things.... I am going to go crash whilst trying to race now.

Great but the what is UOLTT question should be under the what is star citizen

Great but the what is UOLTT question should be under the what is star citizen

Changed that :)

-Groucho Marx

• 3 weeks later...

Why are they still raising money? Isn't $50m+ enough? And they are going to charge for certain items when its complete, sounds like they are all about the money!

Short version:

Chris Roberts intends to put all the money back into development, that means the more they can raise the more they can increase the level of detail. Once the game comes out they money they raise will go towards expansions, server costs and in game media (TV shows, races and news will be displayed on TVs in bars that you enter).

Long version from the mouth of Chris Roberts himself

sometimes get asked why continue to raise money. Haven’t you already raised enough to make the game? The answer is that Star Citizen isn’t a normal game. It’s not being developed like a normal game and it’s not being funded like a normal game. I’ve had to toss aside a lot of my knowledge from the old way of developing and embrace a completely new world. There is no publisher. There is no venture capitalist wanting a massive return in three years. There is no need to cram the game onto a disc and hope we got it all right. Star Citizen is not the type of game that will be played for a few weeks, then put on a shelf to gather dust. Instead of building a game in secrecy we can be fully open with you as a community who have made this game possible. We can involve the future player base in the creative feedback loop as we develop and iterate core systems. As a group we are all involved and united in our quest to make the best game possible.

I have a lot of industry friends pat me on the back and say, “Wow, it must be so great to be operating in profit even before you ship!” Their look usually turns to incredulity when I explain that my intention is for all the money we bring in before launch to be spent on development. It is the community, from the existing backers who continue to support the game, to new members who join every day who are setting the level of ambition and budget for Star Citizen. Every effort is about enriching the game’s vision. Funding to date has allowed us to go so far beyond what I thought was possible in 2012. You’re still getting that game, no question, but it will be all the richer and so much more immersive because of the additional funding.

Long ago I stopped looking at this game the way I did when I worked for a publisher who gave me a fixed budget to make a retail game. I now look at our monthly fundraising and use that to set the amount of resources being used to develop this game. We keep a healthy cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow we would still be able to deliver Star Citizen (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012). If you combine our in-house staff and outsourced developers, we now number more than 280 people. Your support has created a significant number of jobs in the gaming industry. (And no matter what you might have heard, only a small number of our team is tasked with designing new ships!)

If we had raised the original amount and no more, we wouldn’t be able to deliver involved capital ship systems or the level ofFPS gameplay that we are now planning for planets in the Persistent Universe. Nor would have the time or budget to continually upgrade the game with new features like Physically Based Rendering (PBR), or continually strive to make the art assets better. Just compare the Hornet from October 2012 to the current PBR Hornet in Arena Commander. Our ability to iterate in Arena Commander, to try different flight or targeting schemes, or add new game modes that are test beds for future Persistent Universe gameplay is all due to our increased funding, as is the ability to deliver FPS, Planetside and Squadron 42 as modules or episodic content for the community all before the game is “done.” And in the process, you’re giving us the time to get it right, and you’re giving us more opportunities to share our work with you.

I know some people are afraid of “feature creep” and the game never being finished as we keep adding functionality and content to the mix with increased funding. I would say that this would be fair criticism if we were delivering this game at retail and on disc. However, we are online and already pushing out builds, well before Star Citizen reaches what anyone would consider a “finished” stage. Just because we haven’t implemented a planned feature or built a certain asset yet doesn’t prevent us from sharing the game with everyone right now. It’s this evolved process which gives us the Hangar and Arena Commander and so many modules yet to come. We’re sharing the game as it’s being built and it’s an amazing opportunity for everyone who has backed, to have input on the direction the game is going. You just don’t get this in the traditional game business.

Ship sales and new members of our community are the two main fund raising sources. I want to stress that no one has to or should contribute more than the basic amount for a starting package. Everything is earnable in the game with enough time (and skill). However, if you like the direction we are taking and want to contribute more to the development of Star Citizen, then purchasing different ships with diverse roles are a great way to give back for this support. The new ships add interesting new gameplay and populating the future Persistent Universe with a range of different ships, flown by players pursuing all kinds of professions, will only add to the richness of the game once it’s fully live.

Why are they still raising money? Isn't $50m+ enough? And they are going to charge for certain items when its complete, sounds like they are all about the money!

Short version:

Chris Roberts intends to put all the money back into development, that means the more they can raise the more they can increase the level of detail. Once the game comes out they money they raise will go towards expansions, server costs and in game media (TV shows, races and news will be displayed on TVs in bars that you enter).

Long version from the mouth of Chris Roberts himself

sometimes get asked why continue to raise money. Haven’t you already raised enough to make the game? The answer is that Star Citizen isn’t a normal game. It’s not being developed like a normal game and it’s not being funded like a normal game. I’ve had to toss aside a lot of my knowledge from the old way of developing and embrace a completely new world. There is no publisher. There is no venture capitalist wanting a massive return in three years. There is no need to cram the game onto a disc and hope we got it all right. Star Citizen is not the type of game that will be played for a few weeks, then put on a shelf to gather dust. Instead of building a game in secrecy we can be fully open with you as a community who have made this game possible. We can involve the future player base in the creative feedback loop as we develop and iterate core systems. As a group we are all involved and united in our quest to make the best game possible.

I have a lot of industry friends pat me on the back and say, “Wow, it must be so great to be operating in profit even before you ship!” Their look usually turns to incredulity when I explain that my intention is for all the money we bring in before launch to be spent on development. It is the community, from the existing backers who continue to support the game, to new members who join every day who are setting the level of ambition and budget for Star Citizen. Every effort is about enriching the game’s vision. Funding to date has allowed us to go so far beyond what I thought was possible in 2012. You’re still getting that game, no question, but it will be all the richer and so much more immersive because of the additional funding.

Long ago I stopped looking at this game the way I did when I worked for a publisher who gave me a fixed budget to make a retail game. I now look at our monthly fundraising and use that to set the amount of resources being used to develop this game. We keep a healthy cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow we would still be able to deliver Star Citizen (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012). If you combine our in-house staff and outsourced developers, we now number more than 280 people. Your support has created a significant number of jobs in the gaming industry. (And no matter what you might have heard, only a small number of our team is tasked with designing new ships!)

If we had raised the original amount and no more, we wouldn’t be able to deliver involved capital ship systems or the level ofFPS gameplay that we are now planning for planets in the Persistent Universe. Nor would have the time or budget to continually upgrade the game with new features like Physically Based Rendering (PBR), or continually strive to make the art assets better. Just compare the Hornet from October 2012 to the current PBR Hornet in Arena Commander. Our ability to iterate in Arena Commander, to try different flight or targeting schemes, or add new game modes that are test beds for future Persistent Universe gameplay is all due to our increased funding, as is the ability to deliver FPS, Planetside and Squadron 42 as modules or episodic content for the community all before the game is “done.” And in the process, you’re giving us the time to get it right, and you’re giving us more opportunities to share our work with you.

I know some people are afraid of “feature creep” and the game never being finished as we keep adding functionality and content to the mix with increased funding. I would say that this would be fair criticism if we were delivering this game at retail and on disc. However, we are online and already pushing out builds, well before Star Citizen reaches what anyone would consider a “finished” stage. Just because we haven’t implemented a planned feature or built a certain asset yet doesn’t prevent us from sharing the game with everyone right now. It’s this evolved process which gives us the Hangar and Arena Commander and so many modules yet to come. We’re sharing the game as it’s being built and it’s an amazing opportunity for everyone who has backed, to have input on the direction the game is going. You just don’t get this in the traditional game business.

Ship sales and new members of our community are the two main fund raising sources. I want to stress that no one has to or should contribute more than the basic amount for a starting package. Everything is earnable in the game with enough time (and skill). However, if you like the direction we are taking and want to contribute more to the development of Star Citizen, then purchasing different ships with diverse roles are a great way to give back for this support. The new ships add interesting new gameplay and populating the future Persistent Universe with a range of different ships, flown by players pursuing all kinds of professions, will only add to the richness of the game once it’s fully live.

Added to the op!

-Groucho Marx

• 2 months later...

I got a question, I'm gearing up for playing SC, so I think I'll need a flight stick, recently there's sale on my local store , USD$ 8.56 < from IDR 100000,

for Logitech attack 3, good deal? I never play with flight stick before and just wanna give it a try ,what do you guys think?

I got a question, I'm gearing up for playing SC, so I think I'll need a flight stick, recently there's sale on my local store , USD$ 8.56 < from IDR 100000,

for Logitech attack 3, good deal? I never play with flight stick before and just wanna give it a try ,what do you guys think?

It seems just fine for the basics, later you might want to upgrade to a HOTAS (or whatever else), but for this price you might as well try it out.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Go for the Logitech. It's a good stick and quite reliable. If you like the immersion of flying with a joystick you'll upgrade to a Hotas or a more serious stick.

It seems just fine for the basics, later you might want to upgrade to a HOTAS (or whatever else), but for this price you might as well try it out.

Go for the Logitech. It's a good stick and quite reliable. If you like the immersion of flying with a joystick you'll upgrade to a Hotas or a more serious stick.

okey dokey :)

one more question , by HOTAS, you mean dual controller like one for the movement stick and another one dedicated to like slider(if I'm not mistaken its called throttle?).

without that gear, how a person with keyboard simulate the slider action? is the slider ability to decide whether to go 0-20-60-100 % really matter?

I'm sorry to trouble you but I'm got 0 knowledge about this kinda topic

okey dokey :)

one more question , by HOTAS, you mean dual controller like one for the movement stick and another one dedicated to like slider(if I'm not mistaken its called throttle?).

without that gear, how a person with keyboard simulate the slider action? is the slider ability to decide whether to go 0-20-60-100 % really matter?

I'm sorry to trouble you but I'm got 0 knowledge about this kinda topic

HOTAS stands for Hands On Throttle (the slider) And Stick. It purpose is to simulate the experience of you actually piloting a flyable something, be it a spaceship or an airplane. It gives greater control over your movements.

However, in Star Citizen, it is not optimized for HOTAS' yet, so most people prefer mouse+keyboard. It does a fine job, because you can aim your "movable" weapons. 

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Just to add to what Wauthar said a adjustable throttle comes in handy in the faster ships to avoid smashing into the back of a ship.

HOMAS is king IMO, the attack 3 is a good choice because it ambidextrous unfortunately it doesn't have twist which I like, stick in left hand mouse in right FTW!

I use the extreme 3D pro but its not the most comfortable being its designed for right handed use :(

HOMAS is king IMO, the attack 3 is a good choice because it ambidextrous unfortunately it doesn't have twist which I like, stick in left hand mouse in right FTW!

I use the extreme 3D pro but its not the most comfortable being its designed for right handed use :(

I see, interesting tho , so you use stick on your left to control the movement and aim with mouse?

HOTAS stands for Hands On Throttle (the slider) And Stick. It purpose is to simulate the experience of you actually piloting a flyable something, be it a spaceship or an airplane. It gives greater control over your movements.

However, in Star Citizen, it is not optimized for HOTAS' yet, so most people prefer mouse+keyboard. It does a fine job, because you can aim your "movable" weapons. 

well , I'll give it a try

Just to add to what Wauthar said a adjustable throttle comes in handy in the faster ships to avoid smashing into the back of a ship.

faster ship in SC universe ? so without throttle can I bind multiple key, like A for 20% forward,B 40%, etc

As for the HOTAS it's like @Wauthar said. The whole idea is that you don't let go of the controls during flight. When in dogfight you have all the necessary buttons under your fingers so you don't have to move your eyes away from the screen to find a button on the keyboard.

You can also fly with the stick and aim with the mouse and at the moment it's one of the most effective ways to fly in SC. 

As for accelerating with a keyboard, the default thing is not bad. The longer you hold W the faster you go and holding S slows you down gradually (don't quote me on the buttons - I'm using my memory now :)).

I don't have the AC with me now but you can also map buttons to percentage speeds as well if I remember correctly. 

Pfff fudge knows mate! I will see if I can find the Hangar module requirements and anything else I can find and add it to the op... lets just say for simplicity more will probably be better.

Also would you mind editing and snipping the quote, don't really mind it but it makes the thread pretty long to scroll down :D

I did some testing recently with my old Alienware Laptop (GTX580M, please don't judge me, I didn't know better back then  :ph34r: ) and of course with my current rig.

Test course was 1 Lap on New Horizon Vanderval raceway.

AC 0.8 was barely playable on the Alienware @ 1080p very low graphics setting. (no number here, sorry)

AC 1.0 however wrecked it and averaged out @ 12 fps

So in order to reach 30 fps @ 1080p I guess it takes minimum something like a 660ti boost or 750ti. (basicly anything GTX6XX with 2GB or better)

It is of note, that the difference between lowest and highest graphics setting affected frame rates only 10-20% (difference is smaller with higher pixel per second)

Moving on to the GTX 970:

1080p very high ran at average 58 fps, so pretty much perfect.

1440p (ran it with dsr) was also very playable @ 44 fps

2160p (dsr, too) was too much for my card and averaged @ 19 fps with low settings only adding 1 fps

Also, hi there!  :lol:

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

I see, interesting tho , so you use stick on your left to control the movement and aim with mouse?

Yea, with my stick I have pitch, roll and yaw on the axis, I use the hat for cycling targets/pining/etc. and the buttons for countermeasures, boost and decoupled mode then on the mouse I gimbal my weapons (right shift to unlock) and have all the weapon groups and missiles on various buttons. I use the throttle on the stick which isn't ideal but for the most part its fine and because its positional its better than keys because its easy to adjust quickly. Usually in a dog fight I stick to 50% throttle unless I'm entering or exiting combat in which case I can take my hand off one of the controls without issue and for racing you don't need gimbaling so you can use both hands on the stick/throttle but TBH I usually have my throttle at 100% and use com stab on paired with the boost button to control my speed.

I am thinking about making a custom stick at this point though because ideally I would like to have the stick with a mini joystick on top (not just a hat) for analogue L/R/U/D strafing inputs, a throttle slider on top, a self centring slider where the trigger normally is for analogue forward backward strafe and an additional hat on top for targeting plus a plethora of other buttons down the front of the stick for whatever else with all weapon control and countermeasures on the mouse (G700s) and possibly a small panel of buttons for power management etc. but I'm still brainstorming layout at this point and am in no rush as the game is still evolving month to month.

As for the HOTAS it's like @Wauthar said. The whole idea is that you don't let go of the controls during flight. When in dogfight you have all the necessary buttons under your fingers so you don't have to move your eyes away from the screen to find a button on the keyboard.

You can also fly with the stick and aim with the mouse and at the moment it's one of the most effective ways to fly in SC. 

As for accelerating with a keyboard, the default thing is not bad. The longer you hold W the faster you go and holding S slows you down gradually (don't quote me on the buttons - I'm using my memory now :)).

I don't have the AC with me now but you can also map buttons to percentage speeds as well if I remember correctly. 

I see, I'll give it a try soon

Yea, with my stick I have pitch, roll and yaw on the axis, I use the hat for cycling targets/pining/etc. and the buttons for countermeasures, boost and decoupled mode then on the mouse I gimbal my weapons (right shift to unlock) and have all the weapon groups and missiles on various buttons. I use the throttle on the stick which isn't ideal but for the most part its fine and because its positional its better than keys because its easy to adjust quickly. Usually in a dog fight I stick to 50% throttle unless I'm entering or exiting combat in which case I can take my hand off one of the controls without issue and for racing you don't need gimbaling so you can use both hands on the stick/throttle but TBH I usually have my throttle at 100% and use com stab on paired with the boost button to control my speed.

I am thinking about making a custom stick at this point though because ideally I would like to have the stick with a mini joystick on top (not just a hat) for analogue L/R/U/D strafing inputs, a throttle slider on top, a self centring slider where the trigger normally is for analogue forward backward strafe and an additional hat on top for targeting plus a plethora of other buttons down the front of the stick for whatever else with all weapon control and countermeasures on the mouse (G700s) and possibly a small panel of buttons for power management etc. but I'm still brainstorming layout at this point and am in no rush as the game is still evolving month to month.

woaa nice info m8, btw how do you make a custom stick? are you an engineer or you just learn it from scratch ?

woaa nice info m8, btw how do you make a custom stick? are you an engineer or you just learn it from scratch ?

I'm an engineer but for someone with enough motivation all you need to know is out there on the interwebs, most of the practical stuff I know is through self teaching rather than academia ;) (though it can help start you off in the right direction and connect you with like minded people).

I'm an engineer but for someone with enough motivation all you need to know is out there on the interwebs, most of the practical stuff I know is through self teaching rather than academia ;) (though it can help start you off in the right direction and connect you with like minded people).

Agree, just need the right urls and the right budget, good luck on your project