'A disk read error occurred, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart'

ArrogantAdam

Hi all,

So yesterday I was browsing the web on Chrome, which was the only program open, and I suddenly got a blue screen.  It said something about a kernel error.  It did the usual gathering information procedure, and then my PC rebooted.  Upon rebooting, I received the error message:

'A disk read error occurred, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart'

So, I pressed CTRL+ALT+DELETE, as instructed, and I received the same error upon the second boot.  I did this again, and again and I still received the same error.  I was using an 840 EVO as my boot drive, however the drive isn't dead because I have connected it to another computer and it worked just fine.  I have tried to boot using a Windows recovery drive, however I still get the same error.  This lead me to believe that the issue is some hardware in my PC.  

The drives all show up in the BIOS, and are available in the boot menu.

I have tried removing my RAM and running only 1 DIMM at a time.  I have tested each DIMM and I get the same error when using each one.

Does anyone know what the issue is, or how I could solve it?

Additional Information-

Drives: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO,  1TB WD Black,  120GB WD Blue (from old laptop)

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

CPU: AMD FX-6100

try to reset the the motherboard settings

and manually changing the boot priority

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I reset the BIOS, and I changed the boot priority manually.  Still the same error

try to reset the the motherboard settings

and manually changing the boot priority

I reset the BIOS, and I changed the boot priority manually.  Still the same error

Yank out all drives except for the boot drive.

Try taking out all drives except your boot drive. (It could be another drive)

I've unplugged all other drives, and I still get the same error

Yank out all drives except for the boot drive.

Tried this, same issue

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I'm going to try this now, I'll get back to you

if it doesn't work out

go to this site and post your topic there.They are a dedicated w8 forum so you will get a proper answer there

but response might take hours..............many many hours..........

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

if it doesn't work out

go to this site and post your topic there.They are a dedicated w8 forum so you will get a proper answer there

Ok, so I ran a scan on HD Tune, and virtually all of my sectors on the drive are bad.  The drive is only 1 month old, so I don't know what could have caused this problem

Ok, so I ran a scan on HD Tune, and virtually all of my sectors on the drive are bad.  The drive is only 1 month old, so I don't know what could have caused this problem

then better contact Samsung and RMA it quiche!!!!! :)

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

then better contact Samsung and RMA it quiche!!!!! :)

Update:  I needed a new drive quickly, so I just returned it to the store I bought it from and they replaced it straight away.  I then returned home and installed it in my system.  I put in a Windows 8 Install disk, installed Windows and motherboard drivers, and then restarted.  Upon restarting, I received the error message 'Reboot and select proper boot device etc.'  I rebooted and checked in the bios that my SSD was set as the only boot drive.  I then rebooted again and received the same error.  I unplugged all other drives from my system, and I still got the same error.  Was the original issue perhaps to do with another part of my system?  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Have you tried enabling legacy boot mode?

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Have you tried enabling legacy boot mode?

Yes, still the same error

Yes, still the same error

i did say to check this............

sharif, on 21 Apr 2014 - 3:07 PM, said:snapback.png

if it doesn't work out

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Well, sorry I didn't go through the link you gave properly. What is the result if you run hd tune on the new drive? I assume the uefi is already updated.

How old is your psu? How clean is your power source? Is it running behind an avr/ups? It could be giving unstable current to the components.

How is your house wiring? I'm saying this because from my personal experience, I had to reinstall my gpu driver once when my mom turned on a new blender in the kitchen and some how crashes my pc and corrupted the drivers. It BSOD like a bitch so clearly something else is still broken and I had to reinstall windows.

Unclean power is a nightmare. That was my pre ssd era. Not such it have the same effects on a ssd.

On the other hand, are you sure that the boot loader is on the SSD in the first place? When installing windows, it will update the existing bootloader instead of recreating it in the new drive IIRC. You could've been looking at the wrong place all this while. Your other HDD could be one that is failing.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Well, sorry I didn't go through the link you gave properly. What is the result if you run hd tune on the new drive? I assume the uefi is already updated.

How old is your psu? How clean is your power source? Is it running behind an avr/ups? It could be giving unstable current to the components.

How is your house wiring? I'm saying this because from my personal experience, I had to reinstall my gpu driver once when my mom turned on a new blender in the kitchen and some how crashes my pc and corrupted the drivers. It BSOD like a bitch so clearly something else is still broken and I had to reinstall windows.

Unclean power is a nightmare. That was my pre ssd era. Not such it have the same effects on a ssd.

On the other hand, are you sure that the boot loader is on the SSD in the first place? When installing windows, it will update the existing bootloader instead of recreating it in the new drive IIRC. You could've been looking at the wrong place all this while. Your other HDD could be one that is failing.

Before I saw any of this, I tried re-installing Windows, and now everything is working fine

Glad you managed to fix it. Any idea what was the problem?

Main PC:

Laptop:

Audio:

Glad you managed to fix it. Any idea what was the problem?

No idea, I did the exact same thing the second time installing Windows