What is the best GPU i could power with a 450W PSU?

Gdog96

So I have a silverstone 450w platinum efficiency power supply, the one that linus used in his mITX build guide (

) in which he powered a 670. I have a 660 and want to updgrade but, what is the best GPU (for gaming I should mention, at 1080p) that I could power with my PSU?

depending on what other hardware you are running you could power

a titan or a 780 Ti

the steam boxes are running high end hardware (titan and 4770k) with that same PSU

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

my system (look at signature) is overclocked and pulls approx. 380 watts from the wall. this should effectively be at max. 350watts. so there is still some headroom for a much bigger gpu. so I agree with the above. probably any single gpu.

edit: depends on your cpu I might want to add. amd cpus can be very demanding....

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Could power any single GPU (except maybe the R9 290x haha) 

obviously SLI or crossfire GPUs such as the 690 or Titan Black or 295x2 would not work

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Go 500watt to be safer?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Hi sorry I actually came back to edit in my CPU and there are already 6 replies! My cpu is a non overclocked I5 3570K. I also have 1 HDD and 1 SSD, 3 case fans, and the usual other components.  So i could power any single card?

Go 500watt to be safer?

lol

yes you can power any single card. 

you can even go sli gtx 660 on it

Edited by s3ns3

Could power any single GPU (except maybe the R9 290x haha) 

obviously SLI or crossfire GPUs such as the 690 or Titan Black or 295x2 would not work

i have heard of a 290x spiking to 640w usage

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

i have heard of a 290x spiking to 640w usage

where ? the new r9 295X uses 500W in games,which is 2 290x uber

where ? the new r9 295X uses 500W in games,which is 2 290x uber

its was mining so its veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery unlikely that it will ever happen but mining draws allot of power so thats why

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

its was mining so its veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery unlikely that it will ever happen but mining draws allot of power so thats why

but amd didn`t pass the pci-e specs with the 290X, it only has 8 & 6 pin. thats unreal and no air cooler can cool 640W. water or ln2.i mean in furmark the card uses 315W

Well, if I were you, I'd go for a GTX 660TI at the most. Graphics cards these days consume less energy. NVIDIA cards tend to be more energy efficient so I'd lean towards them.

my system (look at signature) is overclocked and pulls approx. 380 watts from the wall. this should effectively be at max. 350watts. so there is still some headroom for a much bigger gpu. so I agree with the above. probably any single gpu.

edit: depends on your cpu I might want to add. amd cpus can be very demanding....

I'm using a comparable system to yours and I am using a 430 watt PSU. It's been running like a champ for 2.5 years now. I even had my rig mining for about four months straight this year and haven't had a single hitch yet.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I'd just make sure you can deliver enough Amps on the 12V rail. Some 450W units don't meet the rating of the power supply on the 12V rail. However, given it's a Silverstone units, it should be fine

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

but amd didn`t pass the pci-e specs with the 290X, it only has 8 & 6 pin. thats unreal and no air cooler can cool 640W. water or ln2.i mean in furmark the card uses 315W

strange things happen i guess, then again amd do have strange sensors

Specs

TTL Did a video on this, he had a 'gaming' rig with a 780 ti in it which worked fine. Personally I'd do what I did and go 550 despite knowing 450w is enough (peak efficiency + a little headroom + not much price difference between 450 and 550 w PSU's) but you should have no problems. You might have problems if you get an extremely OC'ed 290x though.

Thanks for the replies guys :)