Asus PA248q or Acer H236HL

I am stuck between these two monitors. I would like to get two monitors but the asus is so expensive compared to the acer. I know the asus is calibrated but I could buy a calibrator with the money I saved by buying the acer. Does anyone have any experience with these monitors? I do use photoshop but not professionally so perfect colors don't really matter.

The ASUS monitor is better than the Acer one.

The ASUS PA248Q is a 16:10 monitor, while the Acer is 16:9 aspect ratio. This means that the resolution of the PA248Q is 1920x1200, and not 1920x1080. 1920x1200 is a monitor targeted at heavy computer users, who actually uses advance programs or multi-task. The monitor has more work area. The added height compensate for room taken by the task bar, menu bar, tool bars from programs, gaining some work area in the program. As 16:10 is less demanding, production cost more. This is the large part of the increase in the price.

The ASUS monitor is non glossy. A good (doesn't washout colors, or make the visuals blurry) anti-glare coating on the LCD panel is costly, and you have that on the ASUS monitor.

Also, the PA248Q gives you a fully adjustable, 0 wobble stand. Nothing of that with the Acer.

And of course, you have a stronger build quality, and better warranty.

ASUS warranty has a 0 bright/stuck policy for 3 years, and 5 or more dead pixel, ANYWHERE on the screen. No zones or distance crap policy to not cover you.

Finally the ASUS monitor has an integrated power supply, and plugs are downward direction so that they don't stick out like this ugly mess, and get your wires more organized looking.

Personally, I would get the Dell U2410, which cost more, but it's really cheap, as the U2413H replaces it, so Dell tries to empty it's stock of the U2410, so they drop the price significantly.

The monitor uses High-grade CFL back light, giving you true white color, which white LED doesn't provide (it provides a blue'ish white) and doesn't create a blue tint on colors, as the "base" color is a lot more correct. Its even higher build quality, with a remarkably solid metal stand, and you can plug about anything you want thanks to it's wide selection of inputs: DisplayPort, VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI, Component and Composite.

The monitor also uses a true 8-bit IPS panel, and not a 6-bit panel with FRC to emulate the missing colors. If you ever work with RAW pictures, the monitor also support 10-bit colors via DisplayPort (compatible graphic card needed and no adapter or converter used on DisplayPort). It has a 12-bit color processor, and 10-bit Look Up Table. Its actual response time is very very competitive to high-end 60Hz TN panels (although input lag is higher, but the monitor has "Game" mode, which reduces the input lag). Moreover, the monitor support picture-in-picture and side-by-side picture-in-picture.

Also, the monitor comes with 2 manufacture pre color calibrated profile: sRGB and also Adobe RGB with report. It also support 1:1 pixel mapping, and scaling by keeping aspect ratio.

In addition to all this, the custom color profile give you a lot more control than other monitors. While most other monitor give you only Red, green and blue bars to adjust.

Here you have Red, Green, Blue control for Gain, and Offset, and Red, Green., Blue, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow control for Hue and Saturation.

Dell has a similar warranty for dead pixel and bright/stuck pixels. 0 bright/stuck pixel, and 6 or more for dead pixel. No zone or distance policy.

But Dell pays shipping both directions. When you call for RMA, you get to keep the monitor while Dell sends you the replacement monitor. Once you received it, you just swamp the monitor out, and in the box of the replacement monitor, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. Just stick it over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So you always have a monitor with you, and getting a replacement under warranty is easy, and fully free.

I am stuck between these two monitors. I would like to get two monitors but the asus is so expensive compared to the acer. I know the asus is calibrated but I could buy a calibrator with the money I saved by buying the acer. Does anyone have any experience with these monitors? I do use photoshop but not professionally so perfect colors don't really matter.

Hey why don't you add a poll. It may be quite helpful for you.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I second that choice for the Asus monitor. It is much better and would be better build quality as well.........if you've got the $$$$.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hey why don't you add a poll. It may be quite helpful for you.

Thanks for reminding me, I just added one.

The ASUS monitor is better than the Acer one.

The ASUS PA248Q is a 16:10 monitor, while the Acer is 16:9 aspect ratio. This means that the resolution of the PA248Q is 1920x1200, and not 1920x1080. 1920x1200 is a monitor targeted at heavy computer users, who actually uses advance programs or multi-task. The monitor has more work area. The added height compensate for room taken by the task bar, menu bar, tool bars from programs, gaining some work area in the program. As 16:10 is less demanding, production cost more. This is the large part of the increase in the price.

The ASUS monitor is non glossy. A good (doesn't washout colors, or make the visuals blurry) anti-glare coating on the LCD panel is costly, and you have that on the ASUS monitor.

Also, the PA248Q gives you a fully adjustable, 0 wobble stand. Nothing of that with the Acer.

And of course, you have a stronger build quality, and better warranty.

ASUS warranty has a 0 bright/stuck policy for 3 years, and 5 or more dead pixel, ANYWHERE on the screen. No zones or distance crap policy to not cover you.

Finally the ASUS monitor has an integrated power supply, and plugs are downward direction so that they don't stick out like this ugly mess, and get your wires more organized looking.

Personally, I would get the Dell U2410, which cost more, but it's really cheap, as the U2413H replaces it, so Dell tries to empty it's stock of the U2410, so they drop the price significantly.

The monitor uses High-grade CFL back light, giving you true white color, which white LED doesn't provide (it provides a blue'ish white) and doesn't create a blue tint on colors, as the "base" color is a lot more correct. Its even higher build quality, with a remarkably solid metal stand, and you can plug about anything you want thanks to it's wide selection of inputs: DisplayPort, VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI, Component and Composite.

The monitor also uses a true 8-bit IPS panel, and not a 6-bit panel with FRC to emulate the missing colors. If you ever work with RAW pictures, the monitor also support 10-bit colors via DisplayPort (compatible graphic card needed and no adapter or converter used on DisplayPort). It has a 12-bit color processor, and 10-bit Look Up Table. Its actual response time is very very competitive to high-end 60Hz TN panels (although input lag is higher, but the monitor has "Game" mode, which reduces the input lag). Moreover, the monitor support picture-in-picture and side-by-side picture-in-picture.

Also, the monitor comes with 2 manufacture pre color calibrated profile: sRGB and also Adobe RGB with report. It also support 1:1 pixel mapping, and scaling by keeping aspect ratio.

In addition to all this, the custom color profile give you a lot more control than other monitors. While most other monitor give you only Red, green and blue bars to adjust.

Here you have Red, Green, Blue control for Gain, and Offset, and Red, Green., Blue, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow control for Hue and Saturation.

Dell has a similar warranty for dead pixel and bright/stuck pixels. 0 bright/stuck pixel, and 6 or more for dead pixel. No zone or distance policy.

But Dell pays shipping both directions. When you call for RMA, you get to keep the monitor while Dell sends you the replacement monitor. Once you received it, you just swamp the monitor out, and in the box of the replacement monitor, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. Just stick it over the old one, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. So you always have a monitor with you, and getting a replacement under warranty is easy, and fully free.

Do you have the Dell screen? Also that is expensive and I don't think I want to put that much down for one screen but thank you for the suggestion. Also do you think that 2560x1440 is better than 1920x1200?

Since you guys like Asus better than Acer would you guys get ASUS MX239H or the PA248q

Do you have the Dell screen? Also that is expensive and I don't think I want to put that much down for one screen but thank you for the suggestion. Also do you think that 2560x1440 is better than 1920x1200?

I have the U2410, and I am still having seizures on how awesome it looks. Hows that for an answer? :)

Ok I am exaggerating, but it is a very nice monitor. I can't describe it, but all I can say, is that you do get what you paid for.

For me, the monitor is at good price, that's the price range, somewhat, I always buy my monitors . Basically high-end consumer grade monitors. So it's ~700$ the U2410 original price, is fine. Now it's what ~450$, it's a great price.

Anyway, between the 2 ASUS monitors, I would pick the PA248q. You have an adjustable stand, it's solid build quality, no wobble. Why the heck not? The monitor is your main interaction with your computer, be comfortable with it. As for the speakers in the MX239H... they are 3W.. your not getting anything from it. Just mildly better than a laptop speakers. "Bang & Olufsen" means nothing. It's just the name they are licensing out. B&O sales are down because of the recession, people don't buy 28 000$ EACH speaker, so they need money. Like JVC, like KOSS (before you and I were born, KOSS used do high-end audiophile speakers). They are both gone. Beside Bang & Olufsen speakers, while sounds amazing (the real ones - yes I tried them at an audiophile store, where anything I listened for the next two weak sounds very bad) , you pay for the unique design, not the sound, they are way better speakers for the sound, I am being told.

Plus, it has no DVI or DisplayPort. Yes yes, it comes with adapters.. but seeing how everyone has problem with HDMI. It's not even good compared to the rest in any case, so why bother (designed for TV)

The monitor is your main interaction with your computer, be comfortable with it. As for the speakers in the MX239H... they are 3W.. your not getting anything from it.

That is true. I already have logitech z623 speakers so integrated speakers I don't care about. I will try and get the Dell screen but if not I will get the PA248q. Thank you. Also is it good for gaming, im not talking about like perfect mlg but there is not very noticeable ghosting because I know the Pa248q is pretty good for gaming.