Favorite Cherry MX Switch

Recently having had the opportunity to finally sample Cherry MX brown mechanical key switches, I can now say I've tried all four of the most popular Cherry MX switch types, including (in the order in which I experienced them) blues, blacks, reds, and now browns. I've thus come to the conclusion that Cherry MX blue switches are my all-time favorite mechanical key switch (I've also tried white Alps). Please cast your vote in the poll and, if you'd like, make a list of your favorite switches—Cherry MX or otherwise—in order of your favorite to least favorite. I'll begin:

1. Cherry MX blue

2. Cherry MX brown

3. Cherry MX red

4. White Alps

5. Cherry MX black

I have yet to try clears or greens.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I've used MX Blues, Browns, and Blacks in that order.

Personally I like the blacks better but it's just a personal preference. Keyboard's a Zaibal 60

I know Linus favors that keyboard. I tried it myself as my first experience with Cherry MX blacks and did not care for it or the black switches at all. I won't go into what I disliked about the keyboard, but I'll say I returned it immediately. As for the black switches, I found myself making an embarrassing number of typographical errors due to unregistered keystrokes. Finger fatigue was the other thing that really turned me off about Cherry MX blacks.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I know Linus favors that keyboard. I tried it myself as my first experience with Cherry MX blacks and did not care for it or the black switches at all. I won't go into what I disliked about the keyboard, but I'll say I returned it immediately. As for the black switches, I found myself making an embarrassing number of typographical errors due to unregistered keystrokes. Finger fatigue was the other thing that really turned me off about Cherry MX blacks.

That's why we all recommend people to try the keyboard out before buying ity :p It's just a personal preference thing.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I voted for brown because thats what I use, however I think my next keyboard would be a Blue switch.

That's why we all recommend people to try the keyboard out before buying ity :P It's just a personal preference thing.

I made a blind buy with the Mionix Zibal 60 because finding mechanical keyboards at local retailers is a challenge, although it is becoming easier as this mechanical keyboard craze spreads. What I've learnt since is that you should get a Cherry MX switch sampler kit from WASD Keyboards or Max Keyboard.

I can't remember what color it is what it is the one that behaves like brown but is the hardest to push down.

So far I've only tired blues, and I love how clicky they are. 

buckeling spring were too stiff for me

I had problems double tapping with mx blues

browns were a good intro and good middle ground before ending up on reds.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I can't remember what color it is what it is the one that behaves like brown but is the hardest to push down.

Well, Cherry MX clears are like stiff browns, but they're not the "hardest" to push down in terms of actuation force. Greens behave like blues but have an extremely high actuation force of 80 cN, though that's not nearly as high as Cherry MX Super Blacks at >150 cN. Those facts aside, I'm not sure which switch you're referring to.

I do remember I made this poll last time and somehow it vanish due to forum upgrade/maintenance.

Back to topic, I'm still waiting for my Filco since 1month ago till now there is no stock-ins from the authorized retailer and even contact the authorized distributor and they said still not in stock. So I wait till today, hoping for it to come in. I personally test the blue. black, red and brown switches keyboard display from the retailer shop and I prefer the blue because the click sound notifies you that the keystroke is registered.

PS : Got work to do so I'll leave my story incomplete. :(

Well, Cherry MX clears are like stiff browns, but they're not the "hardest" to push down in terms of actuation force. Greens behave like blues but have an extremely high actuation force of 80 cN, though that's not nearly as high as Cherry MX Super Blacks at >150 cN. Those facts aside, I'm not sure which switch you're referring to.

I'm talking about the hardest one to push down that actuates like a brown :P I know they aren't the hardest to actuate of ALL the cherry switchs.

I'm talking about the hardest one to push down that actuates like a brown :P I know they aren't the hardest to actuate of ALL the cherry switchs.

You're probably talking about Cherry MX clears, but it's difficult to say for certain.

You're probably talking about Cherry MX clears, but it's difficult to say for certain.

Yea I believe it is clears. Tactile, non clicky, hard actuation force.

I like the reds personally. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the crappy school keyboards that take 9001g of force to press one key or that my laptop used chiclet keys, but I always bottom them out. I used a K60 at a local Frys and it felt amazing. Not a fan of browns or blues, and I haven't really tried any other switches.

Now if I only had the money to get rid of this garbage rubber dome.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I don't own a mechanical keyboard, but if I was to own one. I will probably have Brown or Blue switches

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

Blue

Brown

Red/Black [Can't tell which ones I like less, but I don't like either of them too much]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I have three Reds:

Storm Trigger

Ducky Shine II 78 Version (technically, has 8 switches, but alphabet keys use Red)

Armaggeddon Black Hornet

Storm Quickfire TK (Blue)

And I will be getting a Cherry Black Ducky DK9087G2 Pro TKL KB tomorrow......I dabble with all switches, basically liking Reds most, though Blue is pretty good as well. Great for typing for sure, I find myself making less typos than with my Reds.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Legit?

45262_508706865833894_701632898_n.jpg

Available in Black, Grey, White, Green, Red, Brown and Blue Switches

I am on my second SteelSeries 6Gv2, I like the blacks.

That and I really am a SteelSeries fanboy  :)

MX-Blue all the way.

I used a Steelseries 6gv2 with Blacks before, and switched to a DASKeyboard Prof. with Blues and loved it.

Yesterday, I had the chance to try out a MX-Brown keyboard, but really missed the clicky sound

I would love to try out Red, Clear and especially greens, but there are no keyboards available here. maybe I should buy me one of those Switch-testers. 

Legit?

45262_508706865833894_701632898_n.jpg

Available in Black, Grey, White, Green, Red, Brown and Blue Switches

Legit.

MX red because they are perfect for gaming and also mx blue because of the sound! Just close your eyes and type! Ohohoohohh

MX red because they are perfect for gaming and also mx blue because of the sound! Just close your eyes and type! Ohohoohohh

My favorite are "Ergo-Clears" with 62g custom korean springs, switch stickers and lube.

2nd would be Blues

3rd Browns

4th Reds

5th Clears

then Blacks and all the rest.