Samsung U28D590D 4K Monitor

To ya'll: Don't cry it's not IPS.

TN isn't bad, calibrate it right and you have a good looking affordable 4K monitor with a low reponse time..

A great monitor and certaintly a step in the right direction for 4K.

the problem isn't color, it's viewing angles.

look at it straight on in the center.  then look at the top of the screen.  congratz, you have 'tn distortion'.

the fundamental problem is that 28" is WAYYYY too large for a TN panel.  there will always be distortion on one side of the screen.

-4k tn owner

That was an absolutely amazing review! They usually are pretty good, but this one stood out for me as being both excellently filmed and edited (seriously, that editing is amazeballs) and incredibly thorough without resorting to slides and slides of graphs like you might get in a written review on anandtech. Awnsered all of my questions very well, even down to the details of image quality and construction.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It's because IPS is stupidly slow. IPS will never work for gaming, and TN isn't even a bad panel type, just that companies use cheap TN panels, instead of high quality calibrated TN panels.

There are plenty of good IPS panels for gaming, just not at more than 60Hz. PErsonally prefer high refresh so I stuck with TN myself.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I don't know, after seeing that Toshiba is making a 4k 15.6 inch IPS laptop, this is leaving me somewhat underwhelmed as of right now. I mean, the laptop is going to have a $1500 MSRP, but comparing that with other monitors, like 1000 is going towards just the 15.6 inch screen. I don't know the refresh rate on the laptop, but it still seems to blow everything ot of the water

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

would be a single gtx 780 enough for it ?

Give you some idea, i'm going to be running this with  a single 290 and my GPU is bench marked at 4K here: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/msi-r9-290-oc-gaming-edition-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Can't wait to see some 4k benchmarks from LTT would like to know how much it would set me back to have a good gaming experience without being completely ridiculous and having 4 titans

Can't wait to see some 4k benchmarks from LTT would like to know how much it would set me back to have a good gaming experience without being completely ridiculous and having 4 titans

I think most games are more than playable with dual R9 290s or GTX780s

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Hey, was just wondering if anyone had any idea if the r9 290x has displayport 1.2. I can't seem to find that information anywhere. If anyone has a source as well that would be great.

Thanks.

Hey, was just wondering if anyone had any idea if the r9 290x has displayport 1.2. I can't seem to find that information anywhere. If anyone has a source as well that would be great.

Thanks.

Last paragraph: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/10/24/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-review/3

quote: AMD has also confirmed that all of its current products support the DP 1.2 HBR2 link rates and as such are ready for 4K 60Hz single stream displays when they become available. They did point out, however, that their R series parts, particularly the R9 290 series, are those which are designed to support the high pixel rates required in such a set-up.

Spoiler

I just wanted to leave a praise for this review here: I'm watching your videos for about 2 years now and this review was the best I've seen from you in quite a while (if not the best at all).

You managed to pack all the information with enough depth to get a very good understanding of the drawbacks of the monitor while staying in a well "watchable" time frame.

In my opinion the review was a perfect mix of praising the positive aspects (which were partly unexpected) but still manage to "warn" people not to buy in haste only because it's a 4K display for 600 bucks. You're conclusion should be printed on every product page - it pointed out for whom the monitor is suited and for whom not in a short but clear manner, excellent job there.

Furthermore I want to point out that the increasing production value starts to really pay back. Especially over the last 3 months you could notice a huge step up in editing and B-Roll footage. While this might not be very helpful in lets say an SSD unboxing/review, it really helps in this case. Keep up the good work @dezeltheintern @BRollTheIntern Taran (don't know if you have a forum handle yet)

To the product itself: I'm really really tempted to buy one, but I think I'll hold myself back for a couple of month. If the price degradation continues at this pace, we should see 4K monitors for 400-500$ in fall, which then may include DP1.2A. For now I'll buy a Qnix 2560x1440 monitor which then can be my secondary monitor.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Seems like are darn good monitor. The monitor stand is a pretty big setback, especially with the missing VESA mount (I really don't need a ultraslim Monitor). Still a 600€ UHD monitor, with good response times and pretty good colours is very nice. Not just for gaming, but also for CAD and Maya work. (which I don't do)

But the graphics horsepower needed is sadly still to high. 2xGTX780 with 6GB VRAM (in one month or so) or 2x290 with 4GB VRAM or one R9 295X2 are still very expensive, but needed. Maybe buy it later then.

NCIX: http://bit.ly/P4DJPU

Amazon: http://georiot.co/20BB

The U28D590D or 590D for short from Samsung is the monitor that's bringing 4K into the realm of affordability for desktop users. It's 28", boasts 1ms GTG pixel response times, and support for 1B colors... But is it really as perfect as it seems??

Hey Linus, have you played a bit with contrast, brightness, gamma and color options ? If so, is it possible to have an idea of the settings you felt were the best optimization ?

I bought this monitor a few weeks ago and was eagerly waiting for your review. Thanks for the effort !

Spoiler

Finaly a monitor at 4k that is not over 800$ i don't mind the type of screen as long as it shows colors (lol). But i dont expect my r9 270x to run 4k games soo i might wait, but this will be the next monitor that im buying for sure!

Nice, cant wait for these to become more mainstream. I don't have the budget for something like this.

No internal speaker :( 

Most time I use my headphones, but for the other time I need speaker

To ya'll: Don't cry it's not IPS.

TN isn't bad, calibrate it right and you have a good looking affordable 4K monitor with a low reponse time..

A great monitor and certaintly a step in the right direction for 4K.

you can't calibrate for crap when the color gamut is junk and the bit depth is so low (tn panels are usually 6 bit)

just sayin.

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I'm so glad I ordered this from Amazon before they sold out. :D   Delivery Estimate April 21. Just a few more loooong days. :mellow:

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

Sold out at NCIX.ca (on back order now)

Funny, how they used OS X, which has much better UI scaling than Windows right now :D

4NbyXJB.png

When I saw that part, I jizzed my pants, why? Because hackintosh video coming soon :)

Not that I like OS X or anything...(please dont kill me)

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

you can't calibrate for crap when the color gamut is junk and the bit depth is so low (tn panels are usually 6 bit)

just sayin.

But isnt this monitor 10bit? O.o

@LinusTech 

Do you have an Australian affiliate retailer?

NCIX ships international.

NCIX ships to Aus $180CAD for shipping though

Still about the same price as amazon ($699 USD)

The NCIX CA website has it for 599 CAD which is about $545 USD.

I really want to know about the downscaling capabilities. I understand that it should look good and work well, but I want to know a concrete answer. 

I just think being able to downscale to 1080p for gaming would be a good option (and won't require an insane setup).