Noob question NAS/Home Network

mekia

Hello,

i'm a noob in any network things. We have 4 PC's in the house two upstairs and two downstairs. The main modem (BT Home Hub 2) is downstairs and a cable leading up to another Router upstairs to get the other 2 Pc's internet.

Now my problem is that i can't access those PC's upstairs from down here and they are not in the network only the 2nd router is.

How can i change this, what would i have to do?

Will the NAS be "invisible" for upstairs if i use it with the BT Home Hub 2?

I'm very sorry about the noobish question, if there is something i could read about it please send me to the site or threat.

Replace the second router with a switch.

The way it is now you are creating a second network inside your first one, to avoid this you can replace the router with a SWITCH and the pc's upstairs will become members of the first routers network and you will be able to see them.

A switch in simple terms is a "port expander", you also want a NON-SMART kind of switch.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I'm not sure if this will work but
i think your problem might be fixed if you can use your 2nd router in access point mode.(which i think will make it work like a switch)

I'm not a native English speaker.
Excuse me for any possible grammar/spelling mistakes

What Rufee said. But I'd suggest picking up a Gigabit switch if you're doing larger file transfers, it makes a huge difference. I had great luck with a TopLink 8-port. It's just a super simple metal box that just works, fast. Here's a link to it on Amazon. http://bit.ly/18rNDkw

I'm not sure if this will work but

i think your problem might be fixed if you can use your 2nd router in access point mode.(which i think will make it work like a switch)

AP is a "wireless switch" not a switch, ordinary consumer routers cannot become switches in most cases, there is ofcourse dd-wrt, but i don't recommend it for new people.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

AP is a "wireless switch" not a switch, ordinary consumer routers cannot become switches in most cases, there is ofcourse dd-wrt, but i don't recommend it for new people.

I have a similar setup like Mekia an using my 2nd router to ap mode made(for as far as I remember)  it worked like a AP like you say but it also fixed my problem over cable.

so like you said in most cases it might not work but it did on my dir-600 (for as far as I remember).

I'm not a native English speaker.
Excuse me for any possible grammar/spelling mistakes

Thanks so much for the fast and precise help! I will do what you guys suggested :)