Australia's internet speed is a joke.

BloodWithIce

The only NBN construction is new estates and existing contracted works.

FTTN is still only in the trial phase.

This is sorta connected, I just didn't want to start a new thread and this was the closest related thread I found with i did a quick search. Does anyone know any really up to date sites to find information on the NBN rollout. When labor were in power we were not listed here as being within the 3 year time span for the NBN. But the other week, a house on the corner of my street got a letter that the NBN was being installed within the month (although i don't know full details as it is 3rd hand information). Today crews were starting installation of cables, and it is extremely unlikely to be any other form of cables as they just did upgrades on everything bar the copper phone lines. So its leading me to believe that it is indeed the NBN rollout, but I cannot be sure as I cannot find any up to date information, as since the liberals started destroying everything, NBNco rarely updates anything except for when things are completed.

Also can anyone confirm that the liberals nbn plan has not been started yet, as i know last year they were saying that they wont even know what they were doing until at least september, with roll out for it starting in 2015.   

They changed the rollout map to show only the very, very end stages of rollout. It used to say an estimated time when you'd get it now it's only really useful for telling you when you already have it. I have no doubt in my mind that this was purely a political move so that they can sell their "Labor did slow rollout mkay" story.

As for the Liberal plan. Well from what I can tell according to them "officially" the rollout hasn't changed at all yet and they're still just negotiating with Telstra over the next stage. There are some limited trials for FTTN which paint a rosy picture and some nice PR but little else. Officially they're supposed to start rolling out FTTN and upgrading HFC sometime next year. In the mean time "officially" the rollout is going the same rate as it was before the election. "Officially".

In reality the rollout was supposed to start averaging ~6k premises/week at peak rollout. Something the Libs always ridiculed as unachievable and lunacy. Around November last year it was hovering around 5.5k which was about the highest it ever got. Something which early on the Libs used to make the "we're not slowing it" argument. In the last three months it has averaged something more like 4k. Read into that however you wish.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Over here in England, and we pay about £20/month (+ £15 line rental on top of that) which works out to £35/month or $62 AUS according to Google. We pay for 'up to 16mb' on BT simply because that is the best deal you can pay for on copper (though sometimes you can get up to 60meg from this plan if you live in the right area). Our exchange has been upgraded for fibre but the cabinet in my village hasn't and I'm stuck on this since I can't get Infinity:

3530422744.png

Ping's fine until you connect to American servers, but really considering how you get 30+ meg (3000% of what we get) for only 150% of what we pay, I can't see the problem. Try watching 480p and above on a 1meg connection.

Just noticed: the slower than % has gone up. Guess more people are on fibre over here now. Our government 'promised' what they call 'superfast' (20-30meg+) to 60% by 2015 and to 100% by 2017, but then threw in a guarantee of 2meg to everyone by 2017 (which means that's what I'll get. Might be able to watch a 720p video. Maybe.)

Over here in England, we pay about £20/month (+ £15 line rental on top of that) which works out to £35/month or $62 AUS according to Google. We pay for 'up to 16mb' on BT simply because that is the best deal you can pay for on copper (though sometimes you can get up to 60meg from this plan if you live in the right area). Our exchange has been upgraded for fibre but the cabinet in my village hasn't and I'm stuck on this since I can't get Infinity:

3530422744.png

Ping's fine until you connect to American servers, but really considering how you get 30+ meg (3000% of what we get) for only 150% of what we pay, I can't see the problem. Try watching 480p and above on a 1meg connection.

Just noticed: the slower than % has gone up. Guess more people are on fibre over here now. Our government 'promised' what they call 'superfast' (20-30meg+) to 60% by 2015 and to 100% by 2017, but then threw in a guarantee of 2meg to everyone by 2017 (which means that's what I'll get. Might be able to watch a 720p video. Maybe.)

I pay around the same for 120mbps down adn 12mbps up from Virgin Media.

Dont generalise the entire UK based on your experiences of a single ISP.

I pay around the same for 120mbps down adn 12mbps up from Virgin Media.

Dont generalise the entire UK based on your experiences of a single ISP.

Sorry if it came out as a generalisation :P it was meant more as a stab at people who think that just because the centre of a major city has 'superfast' internet then that means everyone else does or if they don't then it doesn't matter. I'm in a village literally on the edge of one of the biggest towns (should really be a city) with nothing but a short drive on a main road between me and the centre, and there is a single 1meg copper line for BT and other ISPs that share their infrastructure. I can guarantee you that in this case the ISP doesn't matter as it's the infrastructure that's not up to scratch. I don't even think Virgin Media is available where I live.

Also, if I was able to get Infinity it would actually be a little cheaper than what we pay for currently. I just find it hard to deal with the fact that I live only a few minutes outside the main area of a large town and basically all ISPs along with our local council have effectively said 'screw you'. I think it points out that it's not just Aussies or even poorer countries that suffer from bandwidth issues; just that 'richer' countries try to cover it up more. I'd love for a 5meg connection, no joke.

Just a little thought for most people: even if you live in a country where the download is prioritised over upload, there is a high chance your upload is higher than the download of a lot of people who live just outside of towns or in countries where their governments can't afford to upgrade infrstructure.

Australia $90 month for 500gb

3440988077.png

oh shut up u r lucky i have 110km/s /20km/s and like 900 ping 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

my internet is so slow i cant do a speedtest  :D

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

You know what isn't a joke for Aussie internets? Mobile. Seriously, go to netindex and check it out.

Global Mobile Average: 7.9/2.9Mbps

Global Broadband Average: 18.5/8.2Mbps

Australia Mobile: 19.6/8.4Mbps

Australia Broadband: 14.9/3.3Mbps

We're up there with South Korea for mobile on those numbers

Of course the mobile is faster that way when we use it then they can charge us even more

telstra prepaid with  400mb of data $30au  per month charged at $2au / mb extra data on top if over 400mb used

cant wait for the new NBN fiber to copper crap

3532736220.png

iiNet adls2+ plan 500gb limit Naked DSL plan no phone line bundled $89.95 au per month

tested at 1am local time ( Hobart gmt+10 )

"The extensive delays suffered by NBN Co during its rollout under the previous Labor administration are starting to hit the project under the Coalition as well. Last week it was revealed that NBN Co’s new deal with Telstra may not be inked until the end of 2014. And later on in the week ZDNet confirmed that NBN Co’s trials of the Coalition’s preferred Fibre to the Node technology have also been delayed."

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/06/02/huge-whopping-surprise-cbn-fttn-trials-already-delayed/

They can't even build an inferior network upgrade on time

*sigh*

"The extensive delays suffered by NBN Co during its rollout under the previous Labor administration are starting to hit the project under the Coalition as well. Last week it was revealed that NBN Co’s new deal with Telstra may not be inked until the end of 2014. And later on in the week ZDNet confirmed that NBN Co’s trials of the Coalition’s preferred Fibre to the Node technology have also been delayed."

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/06/02/huge-whopping-surprise-cbn-fttn-trials-already-delayed/

They can't even build an inferior network upgrade on time

*sigh*

I want to die now.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

But they spend 12 billion even more on buying new fighter jets that are not even that much better then what we have now.

Bloody hell, you guys should do some research before you keep making fools of yourself with the ridiculous comments about the state of Australia's internet and blaming Tony Abbot.

To paraphrase exactly what happened,  labor did not do any feasibility studies into the NBN, they loaded the NBN co. with union jocks and  then fucked up the contracts putting excessive pressure on all the small contractors doing the actual work.  Under the labour government the NBN would have fallen in a hole never to see the light of day for most Australians.  At least under abbot you will see some sort of speed increase.  Like him or hate him he's not the reason our internet is all fucked up. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

hi from Spain , 3542086420.png and i pay like 60€ /month! T.T

"The National Broadband Network has taken the extraordinary step of hiring one of the most senior executives of media organisation News Corp Australia to be its new chief financial officer, in a move which appears destined to bolster theories about the Coalition’s close connections with the Murdoch publishing empire."

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/06/04/news-corp-cfo-lead-nbn-cos-financials/

"The National Broadband Network Company has appointed a new chief technology and security officer who has extensive experience running a HFC cable network but little with other forms of network deployment, in a move which mirrors the Coalition’s changed focus for the company’s network rollout."

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/06/04/nbn-imports-canadian-hfc-cable-expert-cto/

Holy mother of... the wha.... blarg... fthoifheps.... damn....

I wonder what "technology and politically agnostic" conclusions they'll come to

FFS

"The National Broadband Network has taken the extraordinary step of hiring one of the most senior executives of media organisation News Corp Australia to be its new chief financial officer, in a move which appears destined to bolster theories about the Coalition’s close connections with the Murdoch publishing empire."

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/06/04/news-corp-cfo-lead-nbn-cos-financials/

"The National Broadband Network Company has appointed a new chief technology and security officer who has extensive experience running a HFC cable network but little with other forms of network deployment, in a move which mirrors the Coalition’s changed focus for the company’s network rollout."

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/06/04/nbn-imports-canadian-hfc-cable-expert-cto/

Holy mother of... the wha.... blarg... fthoifheps.... damn....

I wonder what "technology and politically agnostic" conclusions they'll come to

FFS

The delimiter seems to be a labor oriented publication.  I have read several articles from them, They rarely publish a piece that attacks or puts in a negative light any party except the Liberal/national.  The only article I did read that seemed to be neutral and unbiased was the article reporting the failure rate for the aging Telstra copper network pre-NBN (which was surprisingly very low).

Even though it is obvious from even before the election that the Libs wanted to stack the NBN's board I would still take what they say with a grain of salt.

EDIT: it doesn't actually surprise me that they would employ someone with vast copper experience seeing as that;s the direction the new government wants to go.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

hi from Spain , 3542086420.png and i pay like 60€ /month! T.T

Pick a server less than 50 miles away

Bloody hell, you guys should do some research before you keep making fools of yourself with the ridiculous comments about the state of Australia's internet and blaming Tony Abbot.

To paraphrase exactly what happened,  labor did not do any feasibility studies into the NBN, they loaded the NBN co. with union jocks and  then fucked up the contracts putting excessive pressure on all the small contractors doing the actual work.  Under the labour government the NBN would have fallen in a hole never to see the light of day for most Australians.  At least under abbot you will see some sort of speed increase.  Like him or hate him he's not the reason our internet is all fucked up.

Still saying 25Mbps is more then enough for Australia's tech heads for the next 20 years is ridiculous, also him wasting 12bill on shitty fighter jets that are literally worse then our like old planes is stupid

Still saying 25Mbps is more then enough for Australia's tech heads for the next 20 years is ridiculous, also him wasting 12bill on shitty fighter jets that are literally worse then our like old planes is stupid

Why would he tell the masses that they need more than what they can deliver? Truth be told there is only a handful of people in Australia that require faster than 25Mb as a domestic connection. 

As far as the jets go, it appears your opinion might be based on media slanging and not actual facts:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-23/australia-to-buy-58-more-joint-strike-fighters/5405236

Why would he tell the masses that they need more than what they can deliver? Truth be told there is only a handful of people in Australia that require faster than 25Mb as a domestic connection.

As far as the jets go, it appears your opinion might be based on media slanging and not actual facts:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-23/australia-to-buy-58-more-joint-strike-fighters/5405236

True, but with the fighter jets I actually checked on the Australian airforce website looked at the specifications of the old plane and the planes tony bought and the new ones are worse. Check for yourself if you don't believe me.

The delimiter seems to be a labor oriented publication.  I have read several articles from them, They rarely publish a piece that attacks or puts in a negative light any party except the Liberal/national.  The only article I did read that seemed to be neutral and unbiased was the article reporting the failure rate for the aging Telstra copper network pre-NBN (which was surprisingly very low).

Even though it is obvious from even before the election that the Libs wanted to stack the NBN's board I would still take what they say with a grain of salt.

EDIT: it doesn't actually surprise me that they would employ someone with vast copper experience seeing as that;s the direction the new government wants to go.

Well if you read only the NBN related articles from the past year or so then yeah, they're not big fans of the Liberal party. Mostly because the Liberal policy is pretty hard to defend if you think that FTTH was a good idea. Which if you're a tech publication you probably do. It'd be like asking people on this forum whether they think FTTH was a good idea and ranting about their Labor bias when they go weak at the knees. Read some of their articles on data retention, internet filters or even just tech startups and you'll find that they have plenty of time for tearing the ALP a new one. Plus before the election Delimiter was pretty strongly pro-Turnbull right up until he started talking about keeping the HFC.

As for the "not surprising" thing well sure it doesn't surprise. It does however go against their whole "technology agnostic" thing when they cherry pick experts that support their agenda before asking what direction to go in. Plus it doesn't look good giving a guy from NewsCorp a high up job when the Australian has been railing against the FTTH model from day 1. It's like saying you're open to suggestions about whether or not gun control is a good idea before paying a gun manufacturer CEO and a dude from the NRA to chair a committee investigating what further action to take.

Wow man, rant about me linking to delimiter and claim I should discount them for their ALP bias after you linked to the website of a Liberal MP.

clap2.gif

Wow man, rant about me linking to delimiter and claim I should discount them for their ALP bias after you linked to the website of a Liberal MP.

clap2.gif

You forget that  that response is a direct quote from hansard, it is not the opinion of the liberal MP but the exact words of a labour MP in the house of representatives.  To add to that the fact that it is hosted on a liberal mp's website means that it is scrutinized significantly more by the labour party.  The delimiter (like all media) rarely include whole quotes, use sentence structures to emphasize personal opinion or to exacerbate a point that sells,  My link was to a whole quote complete with references to the Hansard documents for verification.

EDIT: also I didn't think I was ranting about your link to the delimiter, I like when people research these things, I was simply putting forward my opinions and the experiences that lead to them.