How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

Sounds like this will be the go-to method of getting extreme input lag. Some day I might try it.

Thanks for the guide though!

Edit: I tried it in Natural Selection 2. Pretty nice at 2560 x 1600. It does ruin text and the HUD though, but the game itself does look better. I actually didn't have ANY performance hit in it with my GTX 470. But Natural Selection 2 is extremely CPU-bound.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I just tried this and got to 2880x1620 before chickening out, it worked fine though and looks great. Gonna be a life saver on older ports with no built in AA. So thanks!

System - Case: NZXT Phantom Original Newegg Edition

CPU: Intel 3770K @ 4.2Ghz - CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight - Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula - RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 16Gb @ 1866Mhz

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 4Gb - PSU: Seasonic X750 - SSD: Intel 520 256Gb - HDD: Other Random Mechanical Drives

tried this on my samsung 226BW and it worked.. put it on 1920x1080 just to test it out...

then tried it on my dell U2311 and im having trouble with it. Resolution won't show up.

i did use the CRU program mentioned in the 3rd link, and i tried to add 4k resolution, so maybe thats to high. will try lowering it.

On another note though, that CRU program can also be used to overclock monitors on AMD cards, which i have. managed to get my dell up to 75hz.

i never found or really looked for ways to overclock on AMD cards, maybe that was already possible in some other way.. just thought i'd mention it.

I have no signature

Yay, worked perfectly ^_^

EDIT: Only for primary screen though. Doesn't detect the other one.

Yay, worked perfectly ^_^

EDIT: Only for primary screen though. Doesn't detect the other one.

Yup. With multi-monitor setups, only the primary display can be downsampled. Forgot to mention it on my original post.

hmmm this is like something I would want to do actually, thanks for the post :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Cheers for this, might experiment.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this going from 1080p to 2560X1440 on a completely modded out skyrim. There was a notisable difference in quality but it stuttered a lot. I am thinking this is because my 8 gigs of ram got completely filled. Cool thing to play around with though!

tried this on my samsung 226BW and it worked.. put it on 1920x1080 just to test it out...

then tried it on my dell U2311 and im having trouble with it. Resolution won't show up.

i did use the CRU program mentioned in the 3rd link, and i tried to add 4k resolution, so maybe thats to high. will try lowering it.

On another note though, that CRU program can also be used to overclock monitors on AMD cards, which i have. managed to get my dell up to 75hz.

i never found or really looked for ways to overclock on AMD cards, maybe that was already possible in some other way.. just thought i'd mention it.

Yes sir thats what i  use to OC my 1440p Korean monitor to 120hz..

I also used CRU to enable 75hz on my 60hz display. 1080p 60hz Vsync never played so good with its dips... now 75fps with dips is much more manageable.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Ive gotta say this is an awesome post and it has made a big difference to many of my games, its just a shame that my pc is to weak to sustain games at those resolutions as i only have a gtx560ti

• 2 weeks later...

I managed 3840x2160 (4K UHD) using these settings. (NVIDIA)

f6bb1f9268.png

I am not responsible for any damage caused to your monitor either!

tried this on a cheap 1360 x 768 monitor, wish it would of worked, kept getting "out of range" :(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I've done this before on my AOC LED monitor ages aggo, but it would not let me go that high. I also chanced the refresh rate from 60 to 65 and text looked slightly blurred.

This may prove to be an artefact problem provider with Nvidia drivers 318 and up, haven't tried it yet with 314. With 318 i encountered artefacts in NFS the run, Crysis 3, Bioshock infinite, Worms revolution , BF3 etc. Just letting you guys know.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

• 1 month later...

Has anybody done this and take macro shots of monitor with camera... not "screenshots" because that's pointless.

My Rigs (past and present)

Has anybody done this and take macro shots of monitor with camera... not "screenshots" because that's pointless.

Why would you take a macro shot of your monitor? You would still see the same amount of pixels on your display.

Text is usually super small/fuzzy. It's only useful in single player games where there's no RL interaction cause trying to read a chatbox/storyline could become a problem.

Why would you take a macro shot of your monitor? You would still see the same amount of pixels on your display.

Text is usually super small/fuzzy. It's only useful in single player games where there's no RL interaction cause trying to read a chatbox/storyline could become a problem.

Because the samples given in the tutorial is showing marked improvement in graphics in objects, so the question is if anyone will actually see any difference or does one just using more processing power? 

But, if there is visual improvement, does it means the driver skimping out on graphics/resolution for speed?

As for use cases, if it messes with your gameplay then of course it's not useful and the mod is not for you, but that's another issue for the user to decide.

I might still try it so I can do triple 1440 instead of triple 1080.  (my main monitor is 1440).

Just so there's no confusion, by macro, I'm meaning around a few (4-16) square inches of objects.. like a head of a character, or the path up the road in racing.

My Rigs (past and present)

• 7 months later...

I take it you are outta luck if you have a R9 290X? I tried to install the 12.11 drivers and they don't recognize the newer video card. :(

FX-8350          ASUS Crosshair V         MSi R9 290X Gaming 4G

• 1 month later...

Managed to scale to 4k with my FLATRON E2350V and 780SC, Looks tonnes better! 

I take it you are outta luck if you have a R9 290X? I tried to install the 12.11 drivers and they don't recognize the newer video card. :(

I'm using 14.4 WHQL and it work. 7950 though.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

My Dell U2711 just wont let me go to 4k

Monitor  that I tested this on was a Acer X268w. The OS was Win 8.1 PRO 64BIT and GPU is the EVGA 770. The monitor passed the 2560 by 1440 test but had black bars on top and bottom of the screen when doing so due to the native 1920 by 1200 resolution (16:10). The monitor does not support running it at 4K resolution and failed at that test. 

Some more resolution test results on my native 1920 by 1200 resolution monitor. 

-2560 by 1600 passed

-3360 by 2100 Failed

-3840-2400 Failed

Here is another guide that I found on downsampling. Link: http://screenarchery.wikia.com/wiki/Downsampling_%E2%80%93_A_full_guide_to_achieve_3840x2160_resolution_%E2%80%93_NVIDIA_only

THE PIT VIPER SPECS

4790k @ 4.7ghz  (EVGA CLC 360MM) | 32GB Patriot Viper Extreme @2133 mhz | Asus Z97-DELUXE Cooler Master H500M.| EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3