How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

trying to do this now... but its not working.. getting error: ADL_Display_ModeTimingOverride_Set() failed!

Trying on AMD cards, read somewhere it doesn't work with 13.x drivers... anyone else using AMD? Are you running a 12.x driver? If not.. how did you get it to work?

edit: never mind... got it working using this guide: click

I have no signature

• 3 weeks later...

Can I do this when I have 3 monitor setup? Or just bump a up a little the resolution in games, would it look any better? Im running now 5760x1080 resolution. I have two GTX 770 cooled with water.. any chances??

With a GT210 from EVGA, Windows 8.1, and a HP S1391a monitor (native at 1366*768 at 60Hz) I'm currently getting 1600*900 at 75Hz

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

i highly do not recommedn this, sorry. If it works for other users great but when i was younger and was using the stock dell (phat) monitor DellE773cCRTColorMotor17inch.jpg

Set the res too high and had to fix it via safe mode, just a warning... i know we've come a long way but still the risk is still there.

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

i highly do not recommedn this, sorry. If it works for other users great but when i was younger and was using the stock dell (phat) monitor DellE773cCRTColorMotor17inch.jpg

Set the res too high and had to fix it via safe mode, just a warning... i know we've come a long way but still the risk is still there.

If the display goes black, when testing out a res, won't pressing esc, or waiting for the 30 sec times to run down, revert it back to the stock resolution? Unless the screen goes black when using the pc, then I don't see any problem...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I have ASUSVH197 and the max resolution is 1366x768

If I use this and use the 1440x900 do you think it will display average quality?

Twitchhttps://www.twitch.tv/b4mboozl3d Steamhttps://steamcommunity.com/id/asdjkasl/ YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTjOU0RQuC5DQIx6mk3SLSw

PC: Motherboard - MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Super Trio | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8) 

PSU: Seasonic Focus 750W Gold Modular | Cooler: be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Storage: Adata XPG SX6000 1TB m.2 | Case: FSP CMT340

So your taking an experience from years ago, using different software versions and whatnot, and applying that logic here...

You cannot say THIS CRU software is not good when you have not used the latest version to try it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Would this give me an idea of how my system would perform with a monitor at that native res? For example I put my 1080p monitor to 1440p, would that give me an idea how many fps I would get with a native 1440p display? I was thinking going dual 1440p monitors but I didn't want to kill my fps too much.  Doing this does definitely make the games look sharper from the two I've tried, crysis 3 and cod waw. If it does give the same then I am happy with upgrading to 1440p because it didn't kill my system as much as I thought it would.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Would this give me an idea of how my system would perform with a monitor at that native res? For example I put my 1080p monitor to 1440p, would that give me an idea how many fps I would get with a native 1440p display? I was thinking going dual 1440p monitors but I didn't want to kill my fps too much.  Doing this does definitely make the games look sharper from the two I've tried, crysis 3 and cod waw. If it does give the same then I am happy with upgrading to 1440p because it didn't kill my system as much as I thought it would.

Yes it would.

My Rigs (past and present)

I have a 1440p option for my 1080p for those games where text doesnt matter so much and when the UI also scales thats a bonus too.

Other than that, extra Image Quality is always nice.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

this was extremely helpful. especially when i went to try it on my old 720p monitor from 2008

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I have a 1440p option for my 1080p for those games where text doesnt matter so much and when the UI also scales thats a bonus too.

Other than that, extra Image Quality is always nice.

The funny thing is that it's running 1440p over hdmi to the monitor's scaler.  My nvidia's option still says "perform scaling on display"... so I wonder.

If your keeping the 1080p and adding two 1440p, the under / overscaling can come in handy to make a multi-monitor setup of different resolutions and sizes.  The catch is most of the time, it would be in window mode (since "surround" gaming  can be very picky on the monitors).

My Rigs (past and present)

The funny thing is that it's running 1440p over hdmi to the monitor's scaler.  My nvidia's option still says "perform scaling on display"... so I wonder.

If your keeping the 1080p and adding two 1440p, the under / overscaling can come in handy to make a multi-monitor setup of different resolutions and sizes.  The catch is most of the time, it would be in window mode (since "surround" gaming  can be very picky on the monitors).

I had debated for a while about going with nvidia surround, but after reading the problems with it and I don't think I would really use it. Would just be more for show, I would either ditch the 1080p and just have two 1440p, and game on one. Or I might would keep the 1080p as an aux display to monitor performance farther than my keyboard can while gaming. I was wanting to get a 1440p monitor but I was afraid I wouldn't get the performance I was seeking, all my life I've gamed with cheap desktops and laptops. Having to run at lower res, low settings just to play. I built this rig to get over that and max nearly every game out at my monitors resolution. But I'm not seeing a huge hit with running my 1080p monitor at 1440p. 20fps difference at the most, but that's going from over 100fps to 80 fps. So it's not like it's struggling. I'm seriously considering going 1440p as soon as I have the money to update my monitors.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Eventually made it work like a charm. Running an old 20" Apple Cinema Display which natively runs at 1680x1050 (yes I know, i'm not even @ 1080p in 2014). I can only go up to 1920x1200. Tried 2560x1600 (cos it's a 16:10 monitor) and got a black screen.

Main thing to point out that I found out, if you try to run the desktop at the down-sampled resolution you will end up with a blurry image that's very harsh on the eyes. Run the OS @ native res but set the game resolution to the higher one. Trust me, I tried and got major eye strain from looking at it. And don't use GeForce Experience because it'll always try to go back to your native res.

Just some friendly pointers for those not aware. Those who are, good on you, you're way smarter than me.

Oh, and I'm running a GTX 670

Apple Pippin 2.0 (Corsair Gaming Hackintosh) :

• Intel Core i5 3570K with CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Push-pull with Corsair AF120 and SP120)
  • 24 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition
  • Intel 330 Series 120 GB SSD (Mac OS X)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD (Windows 7)
  • OWC Mercury Electra 3G 30 GB SSD (Scratch Disk)
  • 1.8 TB of HDD Storage
  • Corsair 600T White case
  • Corsair K60 Keyboard
  • Corsair M65 Mouse
  • Corsair GS800 PSU

Works great on my XL2420T, running GTA 4 at 1440P on a 1080P monitor.

Still running 60Hz though, I'll try 120Hz.

it would look too small, especially on my display where i struggle to kill enemies as i play in high res. when attackers are far away they don't even seem to be visible.

It doesn't change the size of things like enemies or guns or cars, depending on the game it might change the size of your UI but nothing else. You haven't tried it so you shouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running at 1080P on my "720p" Sony TV. It actually makes everything run smoother than if I switch the resolution over to 720 somehow.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Monitor: Samsung S22A350H

Resolutions Achieved: All, upto 2160p @ 50hz

Special settings(for 2160p):

MlPOoaJ.jpg

1440p is doable at 60hz with Same settings, Horizontal Total Pixels at 2440.

GPU Used: GeForce GTX-560Ti 1Gb (Works in SLI as well)

TV: Panasonic TH-L19C20

On same setup as above.

Being a 60hz TV, 75hz is possible, at 1600x900 using CVT-RB preset.

Downsampling upto 2160p works with above settings.

P.S. First post here!

Well, in essence, doesn't this fulfill the same purpose as anti aliasing? By shrinking the picture you reduce the size of the jaggies

Yes. Downsampling is the same as supersampling, which is a form of antialiasing, but not all antialiasing works that way. It is one of the less efficient antialiasing techniques out there, but it does give the nicest results because it antialiases everything, not just polygon edges. If your pc has difficulty pushing the higher resolution, a more efficient aa technique, such as multisampling, or perhaps something more modern, is probably more appropriate.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

This is brilliant. I got 2560x1440 on my native 1600x900 display (Samsung SyncMaster BX2050). Couldn't go any higher got around 50 fps with ultra settings on nfs most wanted (2012), usually keep it on 1080p at 60 fps

Is it just me or does it seem a bit odd in fps games ? bioshock was hella derpy maybe it's just bioshock tho

any word on AMD cards working with this yet? (i heard current methods didnt work a couple months ago)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

any word on AMD cards working with this yet? (i heard current methods didnt work a couple months ago)

Works fine..

I have a 290, a 7950 and a 4980, they all are on different machines and all have used CRU (within the last 6 months) to enable higher resolutions for certain gaming situations...

I tried using the CRU, and i get it working at 2560 x 1440, and that res shows in my games, but when i select it, my monitor shows this "out of range 88.8kHz / 60hz"... Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

R9 290

lg e2442

(don't know if these matter?)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

How is it that I can just select 1080p resolution on my 720p monitor and it seems to run fine? either in game or with Nvidia control panel?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

should i downsample my samsung syncmaster fx2490hd (1920x1080) to 1440p? i got a nvs 5200m gpu