How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

Desktop and applications look bad, 2560x1440p images looks squashed on the 1080p lcd, text is hard to read. There is no scaling involved.

Only Games benefit from the enhanced image quality due to a higher res being shrunk down to 1080p.

The desktop however looks crap. My desktop is set to 1080p, starting games, they run in 1440p.

I was going to add higher resolutions to the list, but thought bugger it, 1440p is enough, then I did the 12.11>13.5 driver change so now I cant be stuffed going back to 12.11 to revert changes made as this program does not apply changes after 12.11.

BF3 Im testing shortly,..Tomb Raider & Hawken looks the tits! Beautiful!

I'd love to test out a 120hz 1080p lcd with this. 1440p clarity over 1080p @ 120hz!!!!!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Desktop and applications look bad, 2560x1440p images looks squashed on the 1080p lcd, text is hard to read. There is no scaling involved.

Only Games benefit from the enhanced image quality due to a higher res being shrunk down to 1080p.

The desktop however looks crap. My desktop is set to 1080p, starting games, they run in 1440p.

I was going to add higher resolutions to the list, but thought bugger it, 1440p is enough, then I did the 12.11>13.5 driver change so now I cant be stuffed going back to 12.11 to revert changes made as this program does not apply changes after 12.11.

BF3 Im testing shortly,..Tomb Raider & Hawken looks the tits! Beautiful!

I'd love to test out a 120hz 1080p lcd with this. 1440p clarity over 1080p @ 120hz!!!!!

Not sure if it will accept 1440p @ 120Hz. You might hit the bandwidth cap on your display output.

Not sure if it will accept 1440p @ 120Hz. You might hit the bandwidth cap on your display output.

Hmmm

I'd be happy with 1080p @ 120hz, then again maybe it could stretch itself to produce 1440p @ 75hz or something...

Might have a bit of a readup, if I come across anything worthy I'll post it in here.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hmmm

I'd be happy with 1080p @ 120hz, then again maybe it could stretch itself to produce 1440p @ 75hz or something...

Might have a bit of a readup, if I come across anything worthy I'll post it in here.

Please do. I would love to see if it is possible since so far I haven't encountered anyone achieving this yet.

Nice find, but I think it's too demanding for most people playing recent games.

For some reason, you get better downsampling on displays with native 1080p resolution. I can barely get my 1440p display to downsample more than a 100 or so in each direction. Either that, or my display is just bad at downsampling since my 1080p ones got up to near 4K resolutions.

Probably because of bandwidth limitations. Remember that the amount of pixels stored in an image exponentially increases with its resolution.

Thanks for making this topic tried it out and am loving it so far.

Probably because of bandwidth limitations. Remember that the amount of pixels stored in an image exponentially increases with its resolution.

I don't think bandwidth is the problem. I got my 1080p monitors to reach 4K resolution (3840x2160).

Nice, I'll try it on my laptop for a bit.

Programming on these low resolutions make me sad. (compared to using my 16:10 monitor at home..)

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

Nice, I'll try it on my laptop for a bit.

Programming on these low resolutions make me sad. (compared to using my 16:10 monitor at home..)

Downsampling will only look good on games. It looks ugly on the desktop or anywhere else.

^ I wish it wasnt so but yeah, Games scale well with it, the desktop doesnt scale that well.

You could try changing font sizes and icon sizes and those things, but I think keeping 1080p Desktop and 1440p set in games is the best thing here.

I played BF3 last night at 2560x1440p and it was great, no vsync, 70-90fps avg without AA, 50-60fps 2xAA everything else on Ultra + Motionblur at Max FOV-90

None of that Post Processing AA is enabled, I could see that If no AA is used, you could have PP-AA on low for the tiny amount of jaggies seen .

However motion blur at max pretty much covers this as does 2xAA by itself.

The UI is smaller, the aiming reticles are smaller, as is the HUD, tis the tits on the 27" :)

Yep. I stay at 1080p when on the desktop and only switched it to the downsampled resolution when I want to game.

This works like a charm, huge thank you!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

This works like a charm, huge thank you!

You're welcome.  ;)

thank you much man, can finally justify my dual 680's without buying more monitors lol, borderlands 2 at 3680x2070 looks awesome maxed out :)

thank you much man, can finally justify my dual 680's without buying more monitors lol, borderlands 2 at 3680x2070 looks awesome maxed out :)

Nice resolution you got there. How much of a hit did it do to your frame rates?

Nice resolution you got there. How much of a hit did it do to your frame rates?

alot there is the odd part it actually dips below thirty but its roughly 1/4 of the fps i had before still playable though

LOL, i tested it in the same game :))

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

LOL, i tested it in the same game :))

yeah i tested it in lots actually :) bf3 looks amazing as well as darksiders 2 and many others. and yeah i know darksiders 2 is nothing special to begin with but i love the graphics style in that game :) another pretty good one was deadspace 3, makes it look less like a terrible console port

D3 has the worst graphics seen by me this year.

alot there is the odd part it actually dips below thirty but its roughly 1/4 of the fps i had before still playable though

Those dips are usually caused by certain moments where the CPU lagged a bit behind the GPU's (i.e. bottleneck), it could also be (seeing as you are running basically 4K resolution) VRAM usage maxing out and the GPU's got throttled a bit in order to clear out the VRAM for the next image, or the inherent problem of all multiGPU configurations: communication between them and high frame times (i.e. the same frame is being displayed too long on the screen).

Those dips are usually caused by certain moments where the CPU lagged a bit behind the GPU's (i.e. bottleneck), it could also be (seeing as you are running basically 4K resolution) VRAM usage maxing out and the GPU's got throttled a bit in order to clear out the VRAM for the next image, or the inherent problem of all multiGPU configurations: communication between them and high frame times (i.e. the same frame is being displayed too long on the screen).

well when i tested it was on a single 680 as my second one needs thermal paste before i can put it back in, i did have a chance to test it once before i took it apart and it was much smoother. i highly doubt its a cpu bottleneck since im running a 3770k @ 4.7ghz tested and stable.. frametimes have been roughly 17ms according to msi afterburner though i dont know how accurate that is. if anything i would say vram as i have 2gb card. im gonna run some more tests and report back with numbers for now just single gpu as i cant get to town for thermal paste for a few days

You'd be surprised about bottlenecks. They will always exist and overclocking the CPU is just a way of reducing the effects but not totally removing it.

You'd be surprised about bottlenecks. They will always exist and overclocking the CPU is just a way of reducing the effects but totally removing it.

ok so i feel kind of stupid for not remembering this earlier but... i have been playing kingdoms of amalur reckoning alot lately even though its a terrible pc port. i had truck loads off aa and multisampling loaded in through nvidia control panel in global settings. usually i remember to default it before i play something else but didnt this time so it was applying to everything i played, i defaulted it all back and now im running perfectly without the dips in game most things i still hold 60 frames no problem even far cry 3 :)