How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

wow thanks for posting this, I have actually looked for this in the past and found nothing...

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

So should I seriously consider the risks before doing this or should I just go for it?

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

So should I seriously consider the risks before doing this or should I just go for it?

I would really think about it before you do somthing to your display

Yes, there are inherent risks and it is up to the individual person to decide whether they want to do it or not.

What were the imposed risks you speak of?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

i thought downsampling is nothing else than resampling high resolution back to normal...its more like really good Anti-Aliasing, how could that voild my warranty?

Well, in essence, doesn't this fulfill the same purpose as anti aliasing? By shrinking the picture you reduce the size of the jaggies

Not exactly. AA reduces the size of the jaggies by throwing more pixels at the edges to smoothen the image. Downsampling is basically forcing your display to accept higher resolutions. It basically squishes the higher resolution image to fit into your display.

What were the imposed risks you speak of?

i thought downsampling is nothing else than resampling high resolution back to normal...its more like really good Anti-Aliasing, how could that voild my warranty?

It's just like what Linus said about Nvidia's GPU Boost 2.0's ability to overclock your monitor/TV's refresh rate. You are making it do what it was not designed to do. This could damage the panel itself or overheat the electronics of the display. There's a low chance it might happen, but it is still there.

after reading how to do it.. im very convinced now that im going to give it a show since your not 'hacking' anything.. the settings are there for you to pick.. so it feels more safe atleast lol

well apparently

Downsampling, also called OGSSAA : Ordered Grid SuperSampling AntiAliasing

so yeh antialiasing it is ;)

Quoted from the nvidia link in the original post

I only implied that it could void the warranty. It's kind of like overclocking your monitors refresh rate via Nvidia GPU Boost 2.0 instead you are kind of overclocking your monitors resolution. And like NVIDIA and Linus said about overclocking the refresh rate, display manufacturers may or may not honor your warranty if they find out that you did something that caused it to fail.

ok so im now at 2560x1440 and things are smaller, but for regular desktop use, everythings just more blurry.. also I noticed since doing this that every now and then a faint 'scanning' sort of effect is going on on my seccond monitor which is not downsampled and is runnin off dvi a to bga..

text is blurrier..  everything is blurrier... im gonna give games a shot now since that seems to be what this is targeted for

ok so im now at 2560x1440 and things are smaller, but for regular desktop use, everythings just more blurry.. also I noticed since doing this that every now and then a faint 'scanning' sort of effect is going on on my seccond monitor which is not downsampled and is runnin off dvi a to bga..

text is blurrier..  everything is blurrier... im gonna give games a shot now since that seems to be what this is targeted for

Yep. On the desktop, it will always look crappy for some reason. On games though, noticeable improvement in graphical quality.

Yep. On the desktop, it will always look crappy for some reason. On games though, noticeable improvement in graphical quality.

Your right.. I just hopped on cod4 promod, my game of choice, and noticed quite a good difference :P

Your right.. I just hopped on cod4 promod, my game of choice, and noticed quite a good difference :P

Told ya. Just switch back to 1080p if you are going back to the desktop so it won't look like crap. That's what I do.

Told ya. Just switch back to 1080p if you are going back to the desktop so it won't look like crap. That's what I do.

I am very pleased with this new discovery ;)

For some reason, you get better downsampling on displays with native 1080p resolution. I can barely get my 1440p display to downsample more than a 100 or so in each direction. Either that, or my display is just bad at downsampling since my 1080p ones got up to near 4K resolutions.

cool thanks

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

it would be interesting to use this as a benchmark before buying a newer higher res monitor to see if your gpu can handle it

^This

I applied this and it works great, and While it does not work out of the box on newer drivers, You can install 12.11 catalyst, set this up, remove them, install 13.5 and it still has the 2650x1440 option there above my native 1080p.

You cannot change it back however until you go back to 12.11 again. Application Does not work after 12.11, yet the data saved is still there for the driver change.

While people do not like the desktop (1080p) displaying 1440p as it looks shit, then put your Desktop back to 1080p, and just have your games @ 1440p

Tested Hawken, Tombraider, Sleeping Dogs, Trackmania United & War Thunder, they all work at 2560x1440p

The performance hit is there, so right now I'm selective with what I want to look better @ 1440p or keep it set to native 1080p, whether I have the performance headroom to enable a higher resolution or if the game in question has NO AA filters and I'd like to have the downsampling working in my favour there as well.

But it works, with new drivers, is noticeable in quality difference, but also noticeable in performance drops.

Tombraider Bench -

1080p AVG 46fps
1440p AVG 34fps

All still displayed on the 1080p native 27" I use, 1440p looks better, but harder to capture or show it in screenies, best in motion.

I only did this for shits n giggles, I love tweaking and learning, whether I use it or not is up to me, but its available now as it was not before so thats a plus, Might warrant getting another 7950 too :)

Instead of grabbing a new 1440p screen for better visuals, I'd now go the 144htz 1080p route and apply this 1440p on top.
1440p @ 144htz mmmmmmmm!!!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

would it look okay on photoshop?

and has anyone tried to do 4k on a 2.56k?

would it look okay on photoshop?

and has anyone tried to do 4k on a 2.56k?

I've tried getting 4K on all of my 1440p monitors but they can barely leave their native resolution without sacrificing a chunk of the refresh rate. I'm suspecting either a bandwidth cap of DVI-D or the WQHD panels don't like having their resolutions bumped up.