Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
16 hours ago, Charger said:

agreed however both have been done in other countries. Australia with guns and uk with a half assed metric conversion 

kek, interesting.

I use decimals exclusively. Fractions are just confusing. Just... why? I view using them when trying to be precise the way I view using metric instead of imperial when given a choice. Silly and ... just ... why?

8 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

And, then there's Tenchi where the writers literally try to drag the Abrahamic deity into it creating the strongest fictional/real character thing ever called Kami Tenchi.

So, a thing. My understanding of the DC & Marvel universes' The Presence, One Above All, The Source, etc, is that they are the Abrahamic God. (different forms, but trinity yo)

What do you mean "where the writers literally try to drag the Abrahamic deity into it"?

Realize you are talking about a TV Show, which has writers. So I'm not sure which you mean. The writers of the show, or the characters in the show who are pseudo-omnipotent writer god-avatar thingies.

Note: I've seen very little of the Tenchi series. Mostly from Toonami when I was like... 6? Or something.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

4 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

kek, interesting.

I use decimals exclusively. Fractions are just confusing. Just... why? I view using them when trying to be precise the way I view using metric instead of imperial when given a choice. Silly and ... just ... why?

being base 10 makes the math easier if you are asking for a reason for using metric that is.

Just finished Episode 5 of Erased.

Spoiler

Which was just about as predictable as next episode.

Let's see, he went back and tried to save Hanazuki and basically crushed on her throughout, but it was written so that you couldn't really tell whether or not he was just really motivated to save her ass. He failed, because he's basically going around rather than straight to the same destination.

Now he's gonna go back to save Airi, only go around, and end up at the same place. Sure, with Hanazuki he changed bits, maybe we'll even find out that his mother either wasn't the killer or that she was found out, but it doesn't change the fact that this is slowly starting to feel like a Clannad-style circle-jerk of a plotlne - new arcs every three or four episodes to force emotion. 

Perhaps I'm too pessimistic.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

13 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

kek, interesting.

Fractions are much nicer to work with for long calculations and are the preferred way to do it (IMO) if you can.

It takes a bit more confidence because you can't really gauge how your answer is because you don't have much of a relative understanding of how much 57/1791 is.

like I mentioned earlier, for long strings of calculations I like to keep it all in fraction and flush every single answer to a variable. When you meet the final answer you'll have it basically 99.99% exact and can do your rounding off of that number.

in terms of raw number theory, decimals are pretty much in every way inferior to fractions except for when the decimal is a nice number (i.e. .5, .1.25), or the fraction is too large and requires an approximation to be physically (and reasonably) represented.

When you carry your work in decimal you have to account for the rounding or truncation in every single next calculation, sometimes that can compound.

when you write your final answer as 1/17 in stead of some douchebag seemingly transcendental number

feelsgoodman

Error: 410

Having a 4 day school week schedule is nice. 

Would be better if I didn't have to work...

1 hour ago, Belgarionbg said:

:D

This is great :') 

I still have to watch so much anime I missed the couple days

Deleted code is debugged code.

god damn it. I bought a magazine from 1989 to read an article... turns out the article I want was in the issue before it and just 2 pages that were left out of the last issue are included in this one under a more precisely labeled title...

43 minutes ago, helping said:

Fractions are much nicer to work with for long calculations and are the preferred way to do it (IMO) if you can.

It takes a bit more confidence because you can't really gauge how your answer is because you don't have much of a relative understanding of how much 57/1791 is.

like I mentioned earlier, for long strings of calculations I like to keep it all in fraction and flush every single answer to a variable. When you meet the final answer you'll have it basically 99.99% exact and can do your rounding off of that number.

in terms of raw number theory, decimals are pretty much in every way inferior to fractions except for when the decimal is a nice number (i.e. .5, .1.25), or the fraction is too large and requires an approximation to be physically (and reasonably) represented.

When you carry your work in decimal you have to account for the rounding or truncation in every single next calculation, sometimes that can compound.

when you write your final answer as 1/17 in stead of some douchebag seemingly transcendental number

feelsgoodman

@helping

True, but I tend to work on things that don't even need to be to 0.001 so ya. So the max I tend to go down to is 0.0001 knowing I can be rather far off that and still end up with that I need. But that really isn't working with math where compound rounding errors can cause problems.

The fun of Being in the UK, All engineering is done in millimetres, a large amount of engineering companys still use imperial. so swapping between both all the time is something you get use to. its gotten to the point that when your looking at some older aircraft (that are still in service) some bolts will be using metric wrenches and some using imperial. also super annoying as you go in and design everything in metric. find out the manufacturer gets there materials from a supplier who only does imperial, have to redo entire design because 5mm is 0.3mm more then 3/16" thick balsa 

3 hours ago, Laputacake said:

@LinusTech

What do you guys think

For a split second I was confused : " Wait ... Is the CPU cooler resting on the box ? Wait ... Did he bend the Motherboard 90 degrees up ? Oh ... that's the graphics card ... Ok it all makes sense now ... " 

It's too god damn early in the morning ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

3 hours ago, Charger said:

being base 10 makes the math easier if you are asking for a reason for using metric that is.

Well, I meant that Metric > Imperial, and so Decimals > Fractions.

Now, @helping disagrees ofc, but he's doing science-y math with bajillions of decimal places (assuming he did his math in decimals). 

I'm trying to make sure a wall will fit between two other walls. Or that a desk is high enough that I won't be bothered by it being too low/high.

I'm not to the DIY Belt Sander stuff yet (I got a motor, and two luggage wheels w/ bearings, so half way there, now I just need wood and a belt to sand with) where tiny spaces matter.

For your home DIY stuff, I'd say decimal is fine. Fractions are annoying for the reason helping gave. That they are hard to imagine a size of easily. Decimals are base 10. Metric is base 10. The reason metric is easy is because it's base 10. So I'd figure the same is true for decimal if you use that argument.

I mean. I can imagine what 57/1791 is roughly equivalent to because I reduce a nearby rounded number to get an idea. 60/1800 reduced to lowest denominator is 1/30 or ~0.033333.... 60/1800 ~= 57/1791. Close enuf of an idea anywae.

I don't know. I just get annoyed when people give me stuff off a tape measure in fractions. I mean, I get it. And I don't say anything. But it's annoying. 

The reason for me though is because I hate finding the mark for that specific fraction. If you give me 3/16, I'm going to have to differentiate the 1/16ths marks enough to count 3. Just say 0.2 please. Close enuf (because at that small of a scale, with a tape measure, that's accurate enough).

If you are using a Caliper, go for wtv you feel like is most accurate.

It's really dependent on what you are doing though ofc. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

10 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

Well, I meant that Metric > Imperial, and so Decimals > Fractions.

Now, @helping disagrees ofc, but he's doing science-y math with bajillions of decimal places (assuming he did his math in decimals). 

I'm trying to make sure a wall will fit between two other walls. Or that a desk is high enough that I won't be bothered by it being too low/high.

I'm not to the DIY Belt Sander stuff yet (I got a motor, and two luggage wheels w/ bearings, so half way there, now I just need wood and a belt to sand with) where tiny spaces matter.

For your home DIY stuff, I'd say decimal is fine. Fractions are annoying for the reason helping gave. That they are hard to imagine a size of easily. Decimals are base 10. Metric is base 10. The reason metric is easy is because it's base 10. So I'd figure the same is true for decimal if you use that argument.

I mean. I can imagine what 57/1791 is roughly equivalent to because I reduce a nearby rounded number to get an idea. 60/1800 reduced to lowest denominator is 1/30 or ~0.033333.... 60/1800 ~= 57/1791. Close enuf of an idea anywae.

I don't know. I just get annoyed when people give me stuff off a tape measure in fractions. I mean, I get it. And I don't say anything. But it's annoying. 

The reason for me though is because I hate finding the mark for that specific fraction. If you give me 3/16, I'm going to have to differentiate the 1/16ths marks enough to count 3. Just say 0.2 please. Close enuf (because at that small of a scale, with a tape measure, that's accurate enough).

If you are using a Caliper, go for wtv you feel like is most accurate.

It's really dependent on what you are doing though ofc. 

oh diy belt sander I have one of them although it is a little bit on the large size compared to what you are probably making

as for fractions on a tape measure it isn't that hard you just probably dont do it enough to get fast at it. 

1 minute ago, Charger said:

oh diy belt sander I have one of them although it is a little bit on the large size compared to what you are probably making

as for fractions on a tape measure it isn't that hard you just probably dont do it enough to get fast at it. 

Probs.

I have bad eyes. That's the whole thang right there. Plus, I have a hard time focusing on a small thing within a slightly larger but still small thing. i.e. between 45 & 46 inches, but also between 45.25 and 45.5 inches. Makes it hard to focus enough to read the thing. Larger tape measure would help honestly.

Regarding the belt sander, any tips? The motor I have is a washing machine motor. I am still unsure how to make it spin constantly (since it has 4 pins, two for power, and two for control). 

I'm going to do something like this:

That's my goal. 

† Christian Member †

5 minutes ago, Vitalius said:

Probs.

I have bad eyes. That's the whole thang right there. Plus, I have a hard time focusing on a small thing within a slightly larger but still small thing. i.e. between 45 & 46 inches, but also between 45.25 and 45.5 inches. Makes it hard to focus enough to read the thing. Larger tape measure would help honestly.

Regarding the belt sander, any tips? The motor I have is a washing machine motor. I am still unsure how to make it spin constantly (since it has 4 pins, two for power, and two for control). 

I'm going to do something like this:

That's my goal. 

no idea about the motor we used a random motor I think maybe from an old table saw when we made ours lol

zg1h8R7.jpg

only really bad photo I can find that even shows it in the back ground of another photo lol there is a vise with crap on it in front of it. We were originally trying to build it with parts from an old tread mill but fried the controller board and that was the end of that lol

29 minutes ago, Charger said:

no idea about the motor we used a random motor I think maybe from an old table saw when we made ours lol

only really bad photo I can find that even shows it in the back ground of another photo lol there is a vise with crap on it in front of it. We were originally trying to build it with parts from an old tread mill but fried the controller board and that was the end of that lol

... y do you need a controller board? Just hardwire it to a light switch.

Unless you wanted all the speed settings, in which case, that sounds like it'd be useful on a sander. :P

† Christian Member †

Ughhh one of the family vehicles broke down on the road. What a pain in the ass.

kdvcBrF.gif

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

16 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Ughhh one of the family vehicles broke down on the road. What a pain in the ass.

were you in this vehicle? 

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

were you in this vehicle? 

No but I was the one that had to find a tow truck. The shop I work for has 3 tow trucks, 1st driver is drunk so can't drive, the 2nd one was at another wreck already and happens to have a broken rig so can't tow anyway, and the 3rd one won't pick up and responded to a text half a hour later saying he was at his mothers place... 

So I call another place and the line disconnects right away... I call up our 3rd option and it'll take them a hour or more to get on-site. What a dam pain.... and my brother gives me incorrect street info. I even told him to just use google maps on his phone to find the street he was on... he asks a bus driver.... Pulling my hair out over here, stay a hour late after work to sort this out and am still waiting for them to call me back about the status of the tow. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

@Vitalius

Belt grinder/sander? The spiny thing with sandpaper? Why not just fetch an old sewing machine? Change some wheels and bam you can just press the paddle to make it spin Or find a paddle with a lock mechanism. 

Lel,  you could even mod the sewing hammer into a tiny auto Hammer :P

45 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Fun stuff.

24 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

No but I was the one that had to find a tow truck. The shop I work for has 3 tow trucks, 1st driver is drunk so can't drive, the 2nd one was at another wreck already and happens to have a broken rig so can't tow anyway, and the 3rd one won't pick up and responded to a text half a hour later saying he was at his mothers place... 

So I call another place and the line disconnects right away... I call up our 3rd option and it'll take them a hour or more to get on-site. What a dam pain.... and my brother gives me incorrect street info. I even told him to just use google maps on his phone to find the street he was on... he asks a bus driver.... Pulling my hair out over here, stay a hour late after work to sort this out and am still waiting for them to call me back about the status of the tow. 

The advantage of knowing lots of car people. Someone has a trailer.

Blarg

On 01/31/2016 at 11:21 AM, azurezeed said:

don't we all?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Please ignore the above post, clearing out the editor on mobile the only way I can, by posting. Because every time I select a quote to delete it, my browser crashes. Don't know what's up with that. Hmm, not allowed to use enter on mobile either. Whenever I start typing, it just moves me back to the previous line. This is wonderful.

So I found a half fix to the enter thing at least. If you add lines with enter, it won't let you type on them. Unless you add the lines, then switch themes. What an odd thing to fix it. But then any lines you add there won't work until you switch themes again.

@Vitalius @CatCloud (fixed)
Figured I should ask you guys since you're avid gamers and all. What game news sites are good? I want something that covers a lot and doesn't do things like praise CoD: Ghosts for its 'originality' and give it a 9+/10. Not sure after the whole gamergate thing, or if that even mattered really. The limit of my knowledge is pretty much that IGN is a joke and Kotaku is biased and shoddy (depending on the person writing the article). Got anything for me?

Got a joke for all of you with terrible senses of humor like mine. Here it goes.
So, a seal walks into a club...

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."