Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

I have tried connecting it to one other SATA port. I'll move the wire around to the rest of the ports. As for throwing the drive in another PC, the only other PCs in the house are laptops, so I would need a HDD enclosure. Grant it, I could go to Best Buy, buy one, and then return it after a day or so.

Cool. I recommend it. Just because it's such a low effort thing to try compared to all other possible recovery methods.

Honestly, if the issue is a controller board problem, a data recovery company might not charge you a grand to fix it.

What costs so much at those companies is maintaining a clean room to open the HDD enclosure and move the platters. Swapping a controller board doesn't require that at all. 

You might enquire to a few explaining your issue and specifying what you think the problem is. Quotes are free bb.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

... i didnt mean to dp

i swear....

actually I forgot too and was going to ask if you didn't use this opportunity to tell him how to do it

>ice water bathe

kek

Did we talk about that on Steam? DAM IT STEAM. Y U NO KEEP CHAT LOGS?

but HDDs need air bro. They'll just get much hotter internally if they can't pump air in. And their air pumps will die if in an air-tight enclosure trying to pump when there's nothing to pump.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Cool. I recommend it. Just because it's such a low effort thing to try compared to all other possible recovery methods.

Honestly, if the issue is a controller board problem, a data recovery company might not charge you a grand to fix it.

What costs so much at those companies is maintaining a clean room to open the HDD enclosure and move the platters. Swapping a controller board doesn't require that at all. 

You might enquire to a few explaining your issue and specifying what you think the problem is.

I'll look into it, but the repair by a data recovery company may cost more than just getting an actual hard drive. I'll find some quotes though. Thanks for the suggestion.

COMIC SANS

I'll look into it, but the repair by a data recovery company may cost more than just getting an actual hard drive. I'll find some quotes though. Thanks for the suggestion.

yw man

@helping

There's a command line function for printing out a pretty file/folder hierarchy tree for archive purposes.

http://superuser.com/questions/258287/how-can-i-export-a-directory-structure

tree /A ["directory path"] > tree.txt
That's for Windows ofc.

Edit: I read in the comments on the answer that there is a small limit to what that can print.

Better (in Powershell on Windows):

Get-ChildItem | tree > foo.txt
Example output:

Auflistung der Ordnerpfade für Volume SystemVolumeseriennummer : 48E9-F43BC:.├───Contacts├───Desktop├───Downloads│   └───Evernote Import├───Dropbox│   ├───Apps│   │   └───iftttcom│   │       └───getpocketpdf│   ├───Backup│   ├───Camera Uploads│   ├───Development
You'd use this though to get files and such:

Get-ChildItem | tree /A /F > foo.txt
Where /A tells it to use ASCII characters instead of Graphical characters which sometimes don't work well in text documents, and /F tells it to list all files.

This is a command being run in the directory you want to list. Or you can add the directory between tree and /A if you want to do that.

† Christian Member †

Eh? They were out of content by the time Hyouka finished. They had one novel left, and the story didn't seem to be anywhere close to finishing up.

are the books done yet? do they have a better ending or is it all still a fucking waste of time ending wise?

The issue isn't slow speeds or data caps. Those don't exist in Florida (if you're on Bright House or Verizon, which most people are anyways.) The issue is finding a solution to actually transfer the files. Uploading and downloading to and from a cloud storage provider would take far too long.

Oh

post-155826-0-68921900-1451454859.png

Make a torrent?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

You might enquire to a few explaining your issue and specifying what you think the problem is. Quotes are free bb.

The issue isn't slow speeds or data caps. Those don't exist in Florida (if you're on Bright House or Verizon, which most people are anyways.) The issue is finding a solution to actually transfer the files. Uploading and downloading to and from a cloud storage provider would take far too long.

yea def, if you think it's a controller issue it might be easier to just replace

keep in mind if you use a fluid to cool the drives you don't actually have to keep it water/air tight sight the drive can still breathe while being submerged

though, this is assuming you can get a relatively dry environment and the heat generation is an issue before condensation is

if you're SUPER board and wanna get really elaborate, you could technically build a cooler such that it has high airflow to reduce condensation but at the same time have the drive with the majority of it in contact with iced fluid.

@Vitalius it can have air while being submerged. Water is a tricky animal, but generally you can pin one side of plastic bag or something to a corner, allowing it to have air flow and be fluid cooled at the same time.Thus you have liquid contact cooling with air flow (mindful of the HDD breathing hole)

He could accomplish air flow by MacGyvering something like a blow-drier on cool in a trash bag with two openings in a shallow bath with a lot of ice

but once you've hit that point it's probably less work to deal with the issue by not using this method

Error: 410

though, this is assuming you can get a relatively dry environment and the heat generation is an issue before condensation is

if you're SUPER board and wanna get really elaborate, you could technically build a cooler such that it has high airflow to reduce condensation but at the same time have the drive with the majority of it in contact with iced fluid.

... so... I'm lost as to what you are saying will work.

Condensation (which is just water) will kill the hard drive.

Yet submerging it in a liquid is ok. You recommend an ice bathe, which implies water. ... with an open PCB on the HDD.

The heads on the arms in an HDD actually use a property of air to do their job. When something is spinning uber fast (like a platter), it creates a "wall" of air on it's surface. This wall is very few atoms thick.

The head on the arm actually rides on this wall of air and uses it as support to get uber close to the platter's surface without touching it.

This is why Hard Drives **need** air to work. You'll get a head crash if there is no air (vacuum) or you are using some other medium instead of air (since air is a gas and the wall effect only works with a gas that acts like a fluid).

... shits complicated yo.

A similar, but opposite, thing is related to why copper heatsinks are only so effective. They'd be much more efficient at dissipating heat if the stagnant wall of air around them would flow like the rest of the air churned about by a fan. But stagnant air is a good insulator.

† Christian Member †

Actually, that may work...

@helping

Want to experiment with BitTorrent Sync?

>10mbit upload

L1Ywq62.gif

I was just mentioning to @Vitalius the other day about how ISPs give you just enough upload to actually utilize your download, since there's a minimum ratio needed to access full down speed.

also note in previous post the air+water issue is edited in

we went as far with @Jaybird how his laptop HDD keeps dying due to pressure differences on mountains, lol

It we could make our own BT hive-server that would be pretty damn cool though

@TopWargamer glorious cuntcast. 90/12

if I had symmetric, file-transfer would have been the default option.

>10mbit upload

L1Ywq62.gif

I was just mentioning to @Vitalius the other day about how ISPs give you just enough upload to actually utilize your download, since there's a minimum ratio needed to access full down speed.

also note in previous post the air+water issue is edited in

we went as far with @Jaybird how his laptop HDD keeps dying due to pressure differences on mountains, lol

Damn, that blows. Verizon keeps equal download and upload on all of their plans, so I have 75/75. What ISP do you have?

COMIC SANS

Damn, that blows. Verizon keeps equal download and upload on all of their plans, so I have 75/75. What ISP do you have?

Well at least one ISP isn't a dill-weed about internet speed.

† Christian Member †

it's unfortunate that they're still pricks about everything else like all the other major ISPs though.

HSC: Storage and Telecom edition

Verizon may be a bit pricey, but it's not like you're paying insane prices. Just pricey enough to warrant a very reliable service connection and awesome speeds. Seriously, our Verizon service is almost never down, whereas on Bright House it was down all the time, nor do our speeds on average drop below the 75/75. In fact they're usually much higher.

COMIC SANS

Phew, finally at the home stretch for Hyouka. Gotta admit I'm getting a bit anxious that they practically wasted two episodes just before the last three episodes, but I'm prepared for the worst so it should be fine.

Hyouka (15). great.

Hey, they're finally showing signs of drama that aren't as manipulative as I expected. Very good sign, that. It feels like they could have built some of this up earlier, but at least we're only halfway into the series, so there's plenty of time left to build up from here. Things are a touch melodramatic, but not enough to be outright manipulative, so I'm fine with it. It's a fun way to abuse their Agatha Christie idea, after all, as is their use of Fukube, which is more clever than I was expecting (in a cute way). As long as they handle the drama here well, and don't forget how important the payoff will be in addition to the journey, this arc should end up much better than the first few episodes implied. I'm also liking how the characters are finally starting to act like the introverts they try to pretend they aren't (by contrasting themselves with Oreki), because it's a great way to use a character like Oreki without lamely trying to make him "wrong" because of his antisocial mentality. Few anime give me hope they can show kids acting like real kids, and the last one that did (SNAFU) was far shallower about it than I'd hoped. Here's hoping Hyouka avoids being the same.

Hyouka (16). decent.

This ep was a bit of a let-down in how they had to randomly draw Oreki's sis into it to provide the key plot macguffin, but ultimately the writing's competent enough that I don't have to hate her being abused as a plot device. Rather i can just hope that they pay off her involvement properly (rather than making her a lame red herring until a future plot). They're also still using Chitanda as a dopey distraction, but it's nice to see that they're finally playing up the flaws of their characters in ways that might pay off (Oreki reading names wrong, Fukube's inability to think to himself, etc). I'm starting to wonder if this arc will EVER end, but at least for now I'm amused enough by the coyness of the writing to enjoy myself.

Hyouka (17). good.

Well, the resolution to the mystery dictated by Oreki here was pretty weak, given that we weren't really shown clear enough clues for ourselves (and it never felt worth following on either), so I'm pretty disappointed by that aspect of his arc. Thankfully they did a great job with Ibara's character development after that, and they're really hammering home this "expectations" message, so I (once again) didn't mind the series' missteps. I especially liked that they managed to make an otherwise-throwaway student council president character more sympathetic and fleshed-out than many main characters in lesser anime. So while the mystery here was forgettable, they finally managed to provide some introspective drama that wasn't as botched as Oreki's was in the last arc.

Hyouka (18). decent.

This ep was fine as a palate cleanser, but it didn't really accomplish a whole heck of a lot, other than continuing to eternally hint at the fact that Chitanda can't spit it out, and Oreki is unwilling to do so. That's all par for the course, so I don't mind, but ultimately it didn't really feel like this story made a whole heck of a lot of sense. Are they trying to retcon Oreki's character a little, or was this just a really clunky OVA-like episode? It would make sense (and be a lot more interesting) if Oreki had a personal stake in this plot, and Chitanda's spider senses allowed her to finally help him come to terms with something. But as it stands, we're basically nowhere further along than we started, so unless this was just some awkward sleight-of-hand to introduce the next arc of the anime, I really don't know what other purpose this episode served except to unconvincingly change Oreki a little.

Hyouka (19). decent.

Well, this was certainly an improvement over the last episode. It's a shame they're padding the series out with these one-offs, and that they're so similar. Are they just trying to ship Chitanda and Oreki even harder than necessary, or were they just struggling to find material to adapt? Either way, it was fun to see Oreki and Chitanda just messing around, though I have no idea why they started with the two of them being alone in the first place. It'd be cute if they showed the other two intentionally leaving them alone for this purpose. I just hope that the last 3 episodes have enough time to build up and pay off something to cap this series off well enough to justify all of this time spent with the characters and allude to an eventual resolution. If not I'll probably be underwhelmed.

So I just found out the Financial PDFs I'd scanned are A-OK on my server. HUZZAH.

I would share my foo.txt of my server (the one I just made via tree /A /F), but I feel that's self-incriminating (could be piracy, could be cheating on my taxes, could be wtv as far as u guys no).

7.5MB file (kinda big for a file hierarchy when you think about it).

Took like 10-15 minutes to make (this included backups of OS which include Steam games, plex server, old OS transfers, etc).

I love this command. Will never forget. Going through the foo.txt to delete things I don't care to archive (the steam games for example).

This is a super easy way to list your Skyrim mods if they are named appropriately.

>listening to "Tips from the Server room" a Network Administrator pod cast over Network monitoring tools

>hear about a free software from Cisco called Network Assistant

† Christian Member †

So I just found out the Financial PDFs I'd scanned are A-OK on my server. HUZZAH.

I would share my foo.txt of my server (the one I just made via tree /A /F), but I feel that's self-incriminating (could be piracy, could be cheating on my taxes, could be wtv as far as u guys no).

Took like 10-15 minutes to make (this included backups of OS which include Steam games, plex server, old OS transfers, etc).

I love this command. Will never forget. Going through the foo.txt to delete things I don't care to archive (the steam games for example).

This is a super easy way to list your Skyrim mods if they are named appropriately.

>listening to "Tips from the Server room" a Network Administrator pod cast over Network monitoring tools

....powershell script?

pls

....powershell script?

pls

You'd use this though to get files and such:

Get-ChildItem | tree /A /F > foo.txt
Where /A tells it to use ASCII characters instead of Graphical characters which sometimes don't work well in text documents, and /F tells it to list all files.

This is a command being run in the directory you want to list. Or you can add the directory between tree and /A if you want to do that.

You'd add the directory between tree and /A.

@helping

One not nice thing about it is that it doesn't list items sorted by name.

So here's an example output:

+---Now and Then, Here and There        |   \---Season 01        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E12.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E03.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E04.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E13.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E05.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E02.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E01.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E06.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E08.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E10.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E09.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E07.mkv        |           Now and Then, Here and There - S01E11.mkv

See the issue? Not a big deal. Just a thang.

† Christian Member †

I heard financial PDFs. I am now interested.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I heard financial PDFs. I am now interested.

... :|

sorry to disappoint

post-2414-0-07280700-1451459626.png

but i did mention earlier how I had lost lots of scanned receipts. this is what i referred to.

† Christian Member †

... :|

sorry to disappoint

attachicon.gifitsnotwhatuthank-financialpdfs-myinnerfred.png

but i did mention earlier how I had lost lots of scanned receipts. this is what i referred to.

Dam....

http://i.imgur.com/kdvcBrF.gifv

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^