Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

you dont normally see people talking positively about gentoo but that is probably because it doesn't do everything for you like debian or redhat(is that even still a popular distro?)lol

Both arch and gentoo are sort of running jokes in the linux community. Gentoo more so. Its actually a fantastic distro, bleeding edge like arch. But in terms of installation difficulty it goes Arch>Gentoo>LFS (LFS being the hardest). Also slackware is on there somewhere.

Redhat yep people still use it but I think for normal users fedora is more popular. fedora is to redhat what ubuntu is to debian. Redhat is still used heavily in the corporate space for servers. I'm pretty sure its still the most used actually.

@Vitalius what are you even quoting lol.

Edit:

@Vitalius

Oops. Maybe I should actually read posts instead of skimming them. Its literally in my own quote. ~intense facepalm~

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

>Debian does everything for you.

I don't know about that.

@Opask

that is probably because it doesn't do everything for you like debian

So, I dd'd my image of Windows 10. This was a 42GB image. The actual partition is 115GB. But Windows only sees 42GB. 

Hmm. How to fix. >google time.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Both arch and gentoo are sort of running jokes in the linux community. Gentoo more so. Its actually a fantastic distro, bleeding edge like arch. But in terms of installation difficulty it goes Arch>Gentoo>LFS (LFS being the hardest). Also slackware is on there somewhere.

Redhat yep people still use it but I think for normal users fedora is more popular. fedora is to redhat what ubuntu is to debian. Redhat is still used heavily in the corporate space for servers. I'm pretty sure its still the most used actually.

@Vitalius what are you even quoting lol.

I ran gentoo on an old desktop in like the mid 2000s and ran a cs server on it I had no problems with it but it always seemed to be a running joke about installing it lol

you dont normally see people talking positively about gentoo but that is probably because it doesn't do everything for you like debian or redhat(is that even still a popular distro?)lol

It's basically as Opask said. In general, Linux users tend to think themselves above actually compiling everything from source, and Gentoo is even a bit more BSD-like in some ways, so it gets a bad rep among the less savory elements of the Linux fandom. It doesn't help that Gentoo initially attracted "ricers" (dumbasses who think they're clever in tweaking things for performance, but they're doing no more than punching "speed holes" into cars, hello old Simpsons reference).

Ultimately, source-based distros have some serious advantages in terms of the control you have over your system, but it's generally on such a low level that fewer users care to bother. For instance, I can tell my system to use something other than what some distro maintainer thinks will be less work for them, like skipping on pulseaudio or systemd, or not compiling software without options I'll never need. I can also more easily contribute more useful bug reports and patches to all sorts of software without a lot of extra hassle, which eventually benefits others using binary distros.

but they're doing no more than punching "speed holes" into the cars, hello old Simpsons reference).

you say that as though people will not understand a simpsons reference from 1995... Ya probably correct since most members probably were not born yet lol

you say that as though people will not understand a simpsons reference from 1995... Ya probably correct since most members probably were not born yet lol

Well at least I was 2 years old. Er, 1.5.

09uf4ko.jpg

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah, I've unfortunately gotten used to people not really knowing Simpsons references from the best-regarded seasons, but I probably should have just omitted that and said "to hell with it". I've just been watching Japanese gag anime today, and they like to spell out the joke, so I probably got too used to that.

Beautiful Bones (4). so-so.

I think I've had enough of this for now. This ep was dumb even by the show's standards, involving silly curses and a plot progression that was so clunky it was kind of charming how little they cared. Half the time it was just a cheesy character comedy, and the other half was just cobbled together to get from point A to point B no matter how they had to force it. There's a certain dopey charm to how transparently they do it, by giving the MC a sudden random interest or ability, or Sakurako some new random quirk, or BSing about how the cop is reliable when we've seen no evidence to that end, or just other comedy-style randomness. But that kind of thing only has a limited appeal, and I've hit my limit. I'd rather remember this series as a charming disaster then get sick of it, and the fact that this episode ended on a goofy cliffhanger and I couldn't care less to see the next part shows I might as well call it quits before I start getting truly frustrated (same thing I ended up doing with Game of Laplace).

Perfect Insider (1). so-so.

Wow, this was the most pretentious show I've seen in a long time (drop the pop-psych nonsense buddy, your pathetically eager-to-impress wealthy TA just got into the office and is making you a cup of coffee!) Now I like me something pretentious from time to time, but not when it's as subtle as Gallagher smashing a watermelon. Everything about this feels like it wants to impress me with its intellect, not entertain me. If you've got a really high tolerance (or affection) for that sort of thing, then this is probably the show for you. Me, I got about 10 minutes in before I realized that I wanted to punch every character in the face. I fought with the fact that this show is apparently about bloody murders, and so I'd possibly get to see some of these yahoos get killed, but even that didn't feel like enough of a payoff to suffer through something so full of itself. Not even the nice production values could keep me watching a full episode of this.

Osomatsu-san (1). decent.

Well, they certainly made an effort here, but it was a bit of a flailing one. The comedy lacked punch until a third of the episode was through, and then it basically just went full Gintama. I don't really mind that of course, and I kind of like the idea of the show trying to find an identity for itself and failing, but I don't get the impression that was the intent of the series rather than just a Shaft-style "episode one" gimmick. That's a big problem, because I have no clue who these characters are beyond a couple of jokes, and even less idea of why I should care now that the Gintama-esque portion is over. Ultimately I'm still curious to see the next episode, so I guess that's a win, but it's a shame this episode wasn't funnier or more insightful.

Osomatsu-san (2). decent.

Not being a pre-existing fan of the franchise, there were only a couple of interesting scenes and jokes here that I could really get into. A couple more would have been great punchlines if they didn't seem as forced, but at least they seemed to be trying. That counts for a lot in an age where anime don't even strive to construct actual jokes (though to be fair they have their share of reference-based humor as well here). Overall though, this just doesn't really tickle my funny bone enough for me to want to watch it. It's less that it's crass or obnoxious, and more that I prefer more over-the-top or clever payoff in this kind of comedy. I did rather like the random cat transformation scene, though.

Teekyuu 6 (11). decent.

Yeah, if I'm going to get random anime humor and parody, I'd rather it be in short, concentrated bursts like this. Teekyuu and other short-episode gag anime have spoiled me. I just can't appreciate longer-episode anime comedies anymore unless they actually try harder than these anime do (especially to use their time to construct and execute proper jokes).

I also rewatched some random episodes of short-episode comedy anime today, but didn't keep track of them all. Stuff like Gag Manga Biyori, Poyopoyo, Cromartie, that sort of thing. Good times.

So, after some reading which was after some googling, I found out what my issue probably is. 

I'll just copy/paste quote the lines that are important. This is as of 2013. The source will be at the bottom. Very informative. I recommend reading this guy's stuff.

.... EFI boot loader management has an Achilles' heel: Because the firmware tries to load a boot loader whose location is stored in NVRAM, the system becomes vulnerable to failure if either the hard disk is swapped out or the NVRAM is erased. Users report being unable to boot if they update their firmware, and moving a disk from one computer to another requires adjusting the NVRAM boot settings. Furthermore, some EFI implementations "helpfully" remove NVRAM settings for boot loaders they can't detect, which can require re-creating the NVRAM settings if you temporarily remove a hard disk and then re-install it. To make matters worse, some computers "forget" their NVRAM settings without provocation, necessitating installing the boot loader as EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi. This isn't so bad in and of itself, but if an OS or boot loader installer sets up the boot loader in the way it officially should, it won't work and the user must intervene manually. These problems may fade in time as EFI implementations improve and as better utilities become available to help manage boot loaders, but at the moment managing EFI boot loaders is harder than it should be.....

http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/principles.html

I mean come on. 

This basically means I have to modify bootx64.efi manually, or always always have the drive installed in the system it will be used in. I'll have to reinstall Windows 10 -> Debian 8.2 -> update to kernel 4.2 again because all my dd-ing doesn't mean jack if it doesn't affect the NVRAM settings.

Or I could figure out how to modify either bootx64.efi or the NVRAM for EFI. 

sigh why can't it just be easy.

† Christian Member †

Well I wasn't born years so

Deleted code is debugged code.

Well at least I was 2 years old. Er, 1.5.

09uf4ko.jpg

Seeing that image twice today. Coincidence? I think not.

Va7N9Qw.jpg

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Suzaku strikes again

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Instead of "christmasifying" my avatar, I completely changed it. Can't get any lazier, right?

you can always get lazier.

- snip-

Lol I wonder if this thread can get any more derailed, at this point it's basically just a public chat room.

- snip-

Lol I wonder if this thread can get any more derailed, at this point it's basically just a public chat room.

It can get more derailed. It's mostly tech-related though or related to our common interests, but it can get beyond that as well...

Some people have complained about it, we have tried using different methods of doing off-topic chat, like IRC, Steam Group Chat, and TeamSpeak... yet we keep going back to square one, filling this thread. Some people have stopped caring anymore, some still don't like it, and others have abandoned this thread because of the off-topic post flood.

There was a time when mods admins got involved, but that wasn't for simply off-topic posting. It involved content that resulted in Google pulling the AdSense revenue from this forum multiple times, then we were told to get our sh*t together or else deletion would be imminent. They don't mind off-topic chatter here by itself, it just has to comply with CoC (Code of conduct is as it is for a reason).

Off-topic chatter has existed here from the early days, back when there were merely a few dozen pages. It has risen ever since, and some older members no-longer bother to check here due to that. Can't say I blame them, but that's just how it is. To get most of the posts be on-topic, it would have to be enforced with an iron fist, which isn't possible as of now, nor will it be any time soon at least.

*Note that I'm only a member who hasn't been here for long, so there can be some inaccuracies in what I have said.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Guys, you wouldn't believe this. My jaw growing 3 hairs! This is a man first dream of wishing beard.

Elleven. Beat ya.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

@Charger @TheProfosist So i got the E-Elemental today :D 
Its rather hard to type on it due to the small enter key and the layout. 

Design wise its nicer then the Strafe, LEDS are about ..hmmmmm equal but the whole keyboard feels more compact then the Strafe, and i dont like it.
Picture.

I also got my Thermaltake Core X9 case, i would love to show pictures but it came damaged, at lest the side panels. :( (still looking for more)
Edit: ok looks like its only the side panels, the inside looks whole, so ill just bend the panels back to normal and let it slide, i cant be arsed to deal with a RMA due to two slightly edge bent panels. 

Oh yeah, Prof: here you go http://imgur.com/tmgzDtg

12347950_10153820176389802_7682062885394

lol this is so deep. Santa's either gonna kill the people who make her suffer or kill her to end her suffering. Considering this a Cyanide comic it would be the latter

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Finish it. The whole club will have to get involved otherwise.

well im glad i did. the explanation is not bad. but gotta say the mid part is really confusing and not a very easy anime to watch. but not bad overall.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Beautiful Bones (4). so-so.

I think I've had enough of this for now. This ep was dumb even by the show's standards, involving silly curses and a plot progression that was so clunky it was kind of charming how little they cared. Half the time it was just a cheesy character comedy, and the other half was just cobbled together to get from point A to point B no matter how they had to force it. There's a certain dopey charm to how transparently they do it, by giving the MC a sudden random interest or ability, or Sakurako some new random quirk, or BSing about how the cop is reliable when we've seen no evidence to that end, or just other comedy-style randomness. But that kind of thing only has a limited appeal, and I've hit my limit. I'd rather remember this series as a charming disaster then get sick of it, and the fact that this episode ended on a goofy cliffhanger and I couldn't care less to see the next part shows I might as well call it quits before I start getting truly frustrated (same thing I ended up doing with Game of Laplace).

Perfect Insider (1). so-so.

Wow, this was the most pretentious show I've seen in a long time (drop the pop-psych nonsense buddy, your pathetically eager-to-impress wealthy TA just got into the office and is making you a cup of coffee!) Now I like me something pretentious from time to time, but not when it's as subtle as Gallagher smashing a watermelon. Everything about this feels like it wants to impress me with its intellect, not entertain me. If you've got a really high tolerance (or affection) for that sort of thing, then this is probably the show for you. Me, I got about 10 minutes in before I realized that I wanted to punch every character in the face. I fought with the fact that this show is apparently about bloody murders, and so I'd possibly get to see some of these yahoos get killed, but even that didn't feel like enough of a payoff to suffer through something so full of itself. Not even the nice production values could keep me watching a full episode of this.

I would defend the perfect insider due it's detailed and correct understanding of computing...

The twist that allowed the murder to happen is a piece of code with a plausible deliberate bug...even if i do question why they wouldn't audit and alter if necessary code from a person who is a prisoner... Also hexadecimal

Everything become the number f and messes up the timer.

I know what a static global is so that helps too

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

This is Top-Quality Japanese Music

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

This is Top-Quality Japanese Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-vje-bq9c

Why did you bring this back up...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory