Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

Internet went down

Apparently you can tether internet via Bluetooth. Sick.

TIL

Steam is down for me...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/348710

YUS

@Opask

That's it. Tonight I fix my Debian install to show you what mine currently is. Because I know 2 things:

• I have an AMD GPU driver successfully working.
  • I have kernel 4.2.<something>.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I just finished Samurai Champloo, which was on my "backlog of shame" (short run series I've started but never finished).

Anyway, anyone else who has watched it, what are your thoughts?

It's kinda weird because on paper, it's only slightly above average, yet I really enjoyed the show and it's simplicity.

Well i have a confession as well. Although i kinda liked samurai champloo ive never watched cowboy beebop and only briefly seen trigun...ive only seen them on adult swim everynow and then and ive been watching anime for years.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

df4dc9add30b849e17ccc663de8b9d49.jpg

hyperdimension strikes again

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

http://store.steampowered.com/app/348710

YUS

@Opask

That's it. Tonight I fix my Debian install to show you what mine currently is. Because I know 2 things:

• I have an AMD GPU driver successfully working.
  • I have kernel 4.2.<something>.

The work around should be patched into the repos now but it was an issue when you were installing.

I have been becoming even more annoyed with amd's drivers the more I use them. Luckily the open source ones now support Open GL 4.2 and I think the dynamic core speed was patched in for the newer cards recently.

Also apologies that post was slightly more hostile then I intended.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

i7ETeS2.png?1

ZuRQHgM.jpg

I know what kinda of look you are giving me. This is not a new build. It is a rebuiild. I had a 4770K and a Z87 impact the Impact is a very unhappy motherboard right now. In reality this is supposed to be my second system so in order to cover the cost of the replacement MB I traded my 4770K for a friends 4670K plus cash.

Funny thing though there is an option in the BIOS to enable over clocking on Haswell based CPU's. I have not yet attempted to do this but will once its not my main rig.

P.S. Try finding a new Z87/Z97 ITX ASUS motherboard from a reputable retailer. Then if you did manage to find something somehow narrow it down to ones I dont have to sell a kidney for. Actually hours after I managed to get this board off newegg they were out...

I know what kinda of look you are giving me. This is not a new build. It is a rebuiild. I had a 4770K and a Z87 impact the Impact is a very unhappy motherboard right now. In reality this is supposed to be my second system so in order to cover the cost of the replacement MB I traded my 4770K for a friends 4670K plus cash.

Funny thing though there is an option in the BIOS to enable over clocking on Haswell based CPU's. I have not yet attempted to do this but will once its not my main rig.

well that makes a little bit more sense

at the minimum it raises your odds of kyle and paul pointing that out for everyone

IIRC that specific board is hit or miss in terms of unlocking multi last I saw. Some people reported the multi change did nothing or only affected boost clock.

Error: 410

well that makes a little bit more sense

at the minimum it raises your odds of kyle and paul pointing that out for everyone

IIRC that specific board is hit or miss in terms of unlocking multi last I saw. Some people reported the multi change did nothing or only affected boost clock.

lol so true didnt even think of that :P

I wouldn't be surprised if it was only the boost which is fine and how I actually setup a long term stable overclock when I dont have to mess with the BClock

Also I did add a PS which goes into why that board.

Well i have a confession as well. Although i kinda liked samurai champloo ive never watched cowboy beebop and only briefly seen trigun...ive only seen them on adult swim everynow and then and ive been watching anime for years.

I haven't gotten around to Trigun. As you can probably tell, Cowboy Bebop is a favorite of mine. 

I feel like many "great anime" are like that. On paper, they are only ok-good. But there's something special about how everything average-good comes together to make it that one awesome show. 

i.e. making a good anime isn't hard. Just be ok-good at everything and find the elements that go well together. 

I guess that is the way it is, it just seems so much more apparent with Champloo. Bebop does fall under that category, as well as Black Lagoon.

Damn it helping. I'm downloading Megas XLR right now and it's all your fault.

Between all the movies I downloaded early in this payment cycle, and redownloading tons of games on steam later, my ISP must be pissed about how far over my data cap I've gone.

-snip-

ZuRQHgM.jpg

Huh? What's Brock doing there and what's he wearing?

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Damn it helping. I'm downloading Megas XLR right now and it's all your fault.

Between all the movies I downloaded early in this payment cycle, and redownloading tons of games on steam later, my ISP must be pissed about how far over my data cap I've gone.

Huh? What's Brock doing there and what's he wearing?

That is not brock...

That is not brock...

That's the joke.  :P

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

So the new Digimon season i was excited as fuck for, turns up to be a 6 20 min ova thing. Not only that, but it was boring as fuck, pretty disappointing.

When i started this 4 month break from the forum and anime, the new season was right around the corner. I saw One Punch Man turned up to be popular as fuck, but what about the others? Comet lucifer i remember, and the 2nd season of Owari no Seraph.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

So the new Digimon season i was excited as fuck for, turns up to be a 6 20 min ova thing. Not only that, but it was boring as fuck, pretty disappointing.

When i started this 4 month break from the forum and anime, the new season was right around the corner. I saw One Punch Man turned up to be popular as fuck, but what about the others? Comet lucifer i remember, and the 2nd season of Owari no Seraph.

I've been lagging on watching almost everything this season, but from what I've heard it's surprisingly boring. So much so that One Punch Man, which really isn't anything special so far, gets rave reviews basically for having some fun fight animation. Meanwhile Utawarerumono has apparently gone 10 whole episodes without doing anything worthwhile. Gundam too is plodding along, evidently being ok but nothing noteworthy. Concrete Revolutio is apparently kinda interesting in how it's an intentional mess, but that's only frustrating to a lot of people. Teekyuu is still Teekyuu. Noragami seems to have dropped off the radar entirely after the first arc pleased some people who don't mind ridiculously overwrought drama, and Owarimonogatari is apparently pretty much just "ok" at best. And that's about all I've heard about anything airing this season... the rest are so forgettable they barely get a mention from anyone anymore.

Owarimonogatari is apparently pretty much just "ok" at best.

How dare you bash it by implying it's not AOTS

it has loli, vampires, PowerPoints (probably), and fan service (I assume?). It's the recipe for success. It's the no-bake cookie that tastes amazing and everyone loves it. You should feel privileged to let the salmonella bless your body.

that can't be anything less than 8/10

I rate your rating 6/10

How dare you bash it by implying it's not AOTS

it has loli, vampires, PowerPoints (probably), and fan service (I assume?). It's the recipe for success. It's the no-bake cookie that tastes amazing and everyone loves it. You should feel privileged to let the salmonella bless your body.

that can't be anything less than 8/10

I rate your rating 6/10

Now now, no point in being butt-hurt about me stating the facts. If people really thought it deserved an 8/10, surely I would have heard some chatter about it instead of the big gaping hole of antipathy I've seen online so far. People are constantly praising One Punch Man, after all. Shouldn't an anime that actually deserves at least an 8/10 be worthy of more? /s

Now now, no point in being butt-hurt about me stating the facts. If people really thought it deserved an 8/10, surely I would have heard some chatter about it instead of the big gaping hole of antipathy I've seen online so far. People are constantly praising One Punch Man, after all. Shouldn't an anime that actually deserves at least an 8/10 be worthy of more? /s

I wasn't even aware it was out

I thought people were still doing preorders on it... or something?

people probably like it, it's likely that talking about it is boring now because everyone is out of talk since the fucking things been running for so damn long

talk about overstaying your welcome, I'm getting annoyed with how much space it takes up.

that was sarcasm earlier, I can't tell if you can tell.

after Bake they started going downhill in terms of personal enjoyment.

people probably like it, it's likely that talking about it is boring now because everyone is out of talk since the fucking things been running for so damn long

Heh. They certainly like it in the sense that it's popular. But we all know how little popularity implies actual quality.

I do wonder if people have just gotten to the point where it's more of an exercise in franchise loyalty or "might as well finish it now" mentality than because it's really something special.

Yeah, but I like playing the oblivious fool from time to time; it makes life more entertaining :)

I've been lagging on watching almost everything this season, but from what I've heard it's surprisingly boring. So much so that One Punch Man, which really isn't anything special so far, gets rave reviews basically for having some fun fight animation. Meanwhile Utawarerumono has apparently gone 10 whole episodes without doing anything worthwhile. Gundam too is plodding along, evidently being ok but nothing noteworthy. Concrete Revolutio is apparently kinda interesting in how it's an intentional mess, but that's only frustrating to a lot of people. Teekyuu is still Teekyuu. Noragami seems to have dropped off the radar entirely after the first arc pleased some people who don't mind ridiculously overwrought drama, and Owarimonogatari is apparently pretty much just "ok" at best. And that's about all I've heard about anything airing this season... the rest are so forgettable they barely get a mention from anyone anymore.

Yeah i read something about Noragami having a really good 2nd season, and not much else. I saw One Punch Man EEEEVERYWERE.

Man, disappoint is the word. I'll prolly watch something when it ends, most anime must be on the final eps i guess? Most 12 ep anime at least.

^

Heh. They certainly like it in the sense that it's popular. But we all know how little popularity implies actual quality.

I do wonder if people have just gotten to the point where it's more of an exercise in franchise loyalty or "might as well finish it now" mentality than because it's really something special.

It gets to a point where you're all in. At least in monogatari series, people are not going to not-watch Owarimonogatari if you're all the way up to whatever went before that.

Personally i'll watch every upcoming SAO movie/season because i like it and i guess i'm kinda loyal, but not loyal enough to buy stuff with my money.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

You guys are both doing it wrong lol.

Vitalius the version of the driver you were using literally doesn't support 4.2 unless you compile it using and old version of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC). I figured that out after I switched to arch and all the problems started to make sense. Violo the maintainer for catalyst on arch helps a lot with upstream bugs and this happened to be one (thats still not fixed).

zymax_be

You have to use Violos catalyst driver from AUR. They removed it from the official repositories because its so crazy unstable that updating it would break things. You can read up about that on the Arch Wiki (<-- the best wiki I have ever used .) It works mildly better with older cards vs Fury X so you are going to have a much better time then me and vitalius.

Its an ITX case made to be portable like guitar amps. Lots of people would carry around amps that size for jam sessions at their buddy's houses and they wanted to have the same portability for a LAN rig. I also quite like it but it is personal preference.

Thanks for the info I'll look at it when I get home

I've been lagging behind with naragami arogoto, instead im watching kuroko no basket

Currently on season 2 i cant believe i waited this long to watch it

Deleted code is debugged code.

Well, all of this talk about this season's anime has me feeling a bit sleepy. But then, I have caught up on Teekyuu and it wasn't so bad, so maybe I'll feel better about this season after I've caught up on a few more series.

Utawarerumono 2 dropped. I keep hearing that nothing has happened even 10 episodes in, and I'd rather not drudge through more of the same stuff I've seen already, even if the old cast starts to reappear. I'd rather not watch another Overlord-level pile of junk this season.

Mushishi Zoku Shou: Suzu no Shizuku. great.

Mushishi is just effortlessly fascinating at its best, and this dual-length episode did a great job of conveying that. Even though at first I was a bit off-put by the lack of any real scene transitions in scenes where time was supposed to pass, in the end it actually made sense when viewed as "the mountain watching what was happening". Any time a show can give itself an excuse like that without just seeming like it's being lazy or pretentious, I appreciate it. That, and this was one of the more interesting stories in the manga, so I'm glad they gave it the breathing room it needed. This was the perfect reminder of just how pleasantly creative anime can be at the time when I felt increasingly like the medium feels to be at about at its most stagnant in a long time.

Utakoi (2). so-so.

I didn't really enjoy this episode much compared to the first. It was a really simple story, and not one with any particularly interesting spin until the end of the episode. But then it at least it tied into the first episode and wasn't insufferable about it's motives and themes. After all, the arranged marriage in this story would seem reprehensible to a lot of people these days, among other things.

Utakoi (3). good.

This episode was thankfully a step back up, and while it was a bit of a sappy take on the subject, it was a nice one. This is precisely the kind of take on the material that you'd imagine Kanade from Chihayafuru would enjoy. Moreover, it was unexpectedly sharp in its criticism of that era without losing sight of the fact that it's really a show about romantic poems.

Teekyuu 6 (4). decent.

Heh. After a long break from Teekyuu, their usual jokes are a bit more fun. They recalled a tiny bit of Excel Saga in this ep than usual.

Teekyuu 6 (5). so-so.

Even if they recalled a random character, this one seemed a bit lazier than usual. At least it fit together as well as Teekyuu episodes can, I guess.

Teekyuu 6 (6). decent.

This ep was a bit more clever than usual, which was a surprise. Not that it was intelligent, mind you... just kinda clever in spots. They're still too stuck in their formula to really impress so far.

Teekyuu 6 (7). decent.

Some funny moments of simpler comedy made this episode worthwhile, but only just so. A silly laugh and some silly character moments didn't make up for what seemed like a lower gags-per-minute ratio than usual.

Teekyuu 6 (8). decent.

Yay! They tried something different! It was alright. Way too random, and forgot to bring a decent punchline, but alright.

Teekyuu 6 (9). so-so.

Well, at least this was less boring (and funnier) than most "highschool band" anime. That and the inevitable Shamisen joke was surprisingly amusing for a change.

Teekyuu 6 (10). decent.

An episode with a lame start, but the visual gags eventually became quite funny, and they remembered to bring a punchline that was delivered quickly enough to work.

Seitokai Yakuindomo manga (ch289-301). decent.

Just more SyD, not much else to say.