Zalman - My first build

jvkeizer

In this topic I will showcase my "Zalman". I called my PC Zalman because my friend who had never heard of the brand before thought it was a funny name. Here are the specs:

• Zalman Z11 Plus
  • Intel Core i5-3470 (with stock cooler, not a lot of possibilities for overclocking anyway)
  • XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation
  • 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz red
  • Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P
  • 240GB Crucial M500
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 320GB Seagate OEM HDD
  • NZXT Hue
  • Corsair CX430

I initially built this system in February 2013. I didn't have the NZXT Hue and the R9 280X yet then. I built it with an HIS Radeon HD6850, which I later sold to a friend. I bought a second-hand Club3d HD6870 for the same money as I sold my 6850 for (but I installed the 6850 for my friend, that's why he paid that much). In January 2014 I bought my NZXT Hue lighting and in February my 280X. When installing the LED strip, I had to move the 120mm fan from the back to the top and I actually ghetto mounted an 80mm that came from the side panel to the back (I removed the other 80mm from the other side panel as well. It's lying around somewhere). Also, my mobo only has one fan header so I bought a cheap splitter to connect both blue LED fans from my case. The other fans are connected via molex. My latest addition is the Crucial M500 240GB SSD which I bought in the beginning of May. 

I want to paint the case white and make a bigger flat fully transparent  window later because I don't like the original "standing out" smoked window, but I'll have a separate topic on that. I really want the H440  :wub:

Any feedback/suggestions/ideas are welcome.

I will add some pictures later.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ldlei

Temps when running Prime 95 and Furmark AT THE SAME TIME: http://i61.tinypic.com/2wltugy.jpg

Temps when just browsing, playing media, just casual stuff: http://i.gyazo.com/aef6509d89007d75b5a548f024df0163.png

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

Btw, I use the stock cooler because I can't OC anyway and my CPU temps are ok (never higher than low 60s)

Very nice build but I would of went for a bit better psu and a ssd 

Very nice build but I would of went for a bit better psu and a ssd 

I have never had any problems with this PSU and yes, I know I need an SSD. I'm just waiting for a good deal that I can actually get here in The Netherlands...

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

Why didn't you get a haswell processor? 

Never mind, didn't see the build date

The 3470 is overclockable.

Didn't know that! I thought you could only do that with the unlocked "K" CPUs. But I would need a Z77 mobo for that right? Because I have a B75M right now.

It's just that the performance gain is minimal, but it's possible

The 3470 is overclockable.

Didn't know that! I thought you could only do that with the unlocked "K" CPUs. But I would need a Z77 mobo for that right? Because I have a B75M right now.

The multiplier is locked but you can change the b-clock(i think its called b-clock, might be wrong). You only get about 200mhz more.

At any rate welcome to the zalmanosaurus club, its always nice to see more people get zalman products.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You can overclock a locked processor, just playing with the voltage in the bios, if your bios allows you to do so. I oc'ed mine to 3.8 on my Z77 mobo getting 40° on the hottest core, with a H80i

You can overclock a locked processor, just playing with the voltage in the bios, if your bios allows you to do so. I oc'ed mine to 3.8 on my Z77 mobo getting 40° on the hottest core, with a H80i

My bios doesn't allow me to :( 

Don't go with the Z11. I have the Z9, which has the same interior and the inside is terrible. The 8-pin power cut out is to small, bad access to front dust filter, HDD vibration is transmitted to the case,.... I could go on for days.  

Edit: I just read the rest of your post, you already got the case.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Don't go with the Z11. I have the Z9, which has the same interior and the inside is terrible. The 8-pin power cut out is to small, bad access to front dust filter, HDD vibration is transmitted to the case,.... I could go on for days.  

I find the vibration issue and the 8-pin cut out to be disturbing too, but further more I am quite satisfied with the case. I only think it lacks tool-less drive caddies, but oh well, how often am I gonna install a drive anyway?

I find the vibration issue and the 8-pin cut out to be disturbing too, but further more I am quite satisfied with the case. I only think it lacks tool-less drive caddies, but oh well, how often am I gonna install a drive anyway?

The quality of the paint is great and it is sturdy, but I would like to see the case as a full tower and some improvements. Then I would get it again.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

• 1 month later...

It's just that the performance gain is minimal, but it's possible

You can overclock it via Bus-speed as far as i know, not reccomended though. It wont be as stable as normal multiplier overclocking.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

ivy processors have locked multis, but iirc at 40.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

• 3 weeks later...